Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Help with painting window sills

• 04-05-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi All

I am going to be painting the outdoor sills of my girlfriend's mam's house so need advice on the following,

It has been painted twice before but she wants all the old paint taken off the sills so its back to bare concrete sills.

Can anybody tell me what way i have to go about doing this is there something i can get to take it off Quick. In all i have 10 window sills to do so any ideas would be great.

Thanks very much....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Why does she want all the paint taken of if you are going to be painting them again? Is it for apperance? Alot of hassle to strip off concrete/stone. Try and see if you can make them sound and tight rather than stripping them. Maybe do one as an example and see if she is happy with that look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Just done mine.I used a wire brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭bazmak

quickest way to remove all of the paint is to use a heat gun and scraper.
    if its just to make sure they are nice & smooth use a wire brush and go down the grades with sandpaper:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I second the heat gun and scraper. You'll probably not get every last residue of paint so the sandpaper is useful for removing and levelling anything left (and it gives a good key for the paint to stick to)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

A heat gun near windows is not a good idea!

Tape off the bottom of windows and use nitromers to strip off the paint. Dont forget to remove the masking tape straight away, if it gets wet in the rain and drys out again while on the windows, youll never get the tape off again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A heat gun with a paint stripper attachment and careful use will be fine around most of the windowsill except for the bit near and under the frame, where nitromors can be used. I find nitromors to be less effective than a heat gun though.

Advertisement