Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a fermenter mid-brew (coopers kit)

Options
  • 04-05-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

I finally got around to mixing up my first (Coopers) brew-kit on Satuday however since then the weathers gotten a bit colder and the temperature has basically nose-dived leaving the rooms ambient temp at only just about scraping 17-17.5deg.

From looking at the fermenter nothing seems to be happening and I've not seen any bubbles go through the airlock. I do have it wrapped in a towel trying to keep in what heat it can but all that achieved was a small bit of condensation on the inside bit of the airlock yesterday so I was thinking of moving the fermenter to the hot press which tends to average at about 21~23deg.

Would moving it cause any problems since it'll inevitably end up sloshing about in the fermenter but at the same time it seems pointless to leave it where it is. And is there anything else I should do while moving it to ensure everything gets going again or will it just start up with the temperature increase? Or should I just start agian?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Our Cooper's Real Ale kit fermented at 14 degrees (we don't have central heating) so I'm not sure that's your problem - sure the seal is tight on the airlock? It took about a week longer than the instructions said it would, but got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

Is their a foamy layer on top of the beer?. a sign that fermentation is happening. Maybe the c02 is escaping through the lid which is no problem as its protecting the beer. It really should ferment fine at 17C, going much over 20C can be a bit too warm and might get fruity flavours. I try to ferment in the 18C to 19C range and works out fine. A blanket around the fermenter should keep it warm enough to ferment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Darkginger wrote: »
    Our Cooper's Real Ale kit fermented at 14 degrees (we don't have central heating) so I'm not sure that's your problem - sure the seal is tight on the airlock? It took about a week longer than the instructions said it would, but got there in the end.
    I've no central heating either so good to hear you managed to get a brew from that temp :D

The seal on the lid is quite tight and theres resistance if I try any sort of movement on the airlock so that should be stopping anything from escaping that doesnt go through the airlock itself.
    mayto wrote: »
    Is their a foamy layer on top of the beer?. a sign that fermentation is happening. Maybe the c02 is escaping through the lid which is no problem as its protecting the beer. It really should ferment fine at 17C, going much over 20C can be a bit too warm and might get fruity flavours. I try to ferment in the 18C to 19C range and works out fine. A blanket around the fermenter should keep it warm enough to ferment.

There looks to be a bit of a foamy layer alright but there was some foam when I sealed it up and moved it to its current position so it could just be remnants of that I'm seeing. I've attached a pic but theres not a whole lot to see.

157552.jpg

It does look like its fermenting fine from the picture. The frothy head created when you stir the wort before adding the yeast usually disappears after a few hours I find. When it starts fermenting a foamy layer (krausen) should appear on top of the wort as in your pic.

Nice one, I suppose I may as well leave it where it is so and lets hope its that krausen stuff we're seeing.

On a side note, does sloshing it about a bit cause problems? When I get around to bottling it I'll first need to move it to another room and up onto a counter which probably wont be too easy and will likely result in plenty of movement within the fermenter.

• Advertisement

Just try to move the beer as gently as you can and you will be fine. I have to move my beer for bottling up onto a counter too and its fine. I usually check my beer with a hydrometer after about a week to check how fermentation is doing and have a sneaky taste :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd be careful when moving as far as I can tell the bottom of the fermenter is pressed inwards whenever you have it full and it's sitting on a hard counter. When you lift it off the counter the pressure from the liquid pushes the bottom out and sucks air into the fermenter. Since you have an airlock on it's likely to suck some of the (possibly infected) water from the airlock whenever you lift. It did this whenever I had it full of bleachy water anyway.

(I realise I've not explained that too well but I'm in a rush)

Also, what's wrong with sloshing the beer? Surely this would only help to spread the yeast throughout?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    Also, what's wrong with sloshing the beer?
    If too much oxygen gets in the beer ends up tasting like cardboard. It's why we siphon rather than just pouring from vessel to vessel. You need it well splashed and oxygenated before you pitch the yeast, but should keep it to a minimum once fermentation has started.

Thanks for all the help :D

Yeah I'd spotted that suction effect alright when I moved it to its current location but luckily I'd fully sterilised the airlock prior to putting it in. On the down side though, it was tap water in the airlock and mine isnt always the best which is why I'd used spring water for the rest of it but hopefully it'll be ok; next time I'll be using spring water in the airlock though just in case :p

I'll just have to be very careful when moving it but as I'll have to carry it about 40 feet and then up to the counter it'll be a tough one to keep still.

For future reference, does it matter if the sun gets at the beer it while its in the fermenter? I know it says in the instructions to leave the bottles in a dark place out of sunlight but it doesnt seem to mention the same when it comes to the fermenter itself. I'd only moved it in the first place as the only counters I have, that could support the weight, are in a very bright room with near floor to ceiling windows and from about noon until sunset the sun would be coming directly in and onto those counters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You can just boil and then cool the tap water before putting it into the airlock and it'll be as good as spring water.

• Advertisement

Right so I had a look at it today and when I took out the airlock it looked like there was very little foamy stuff on the top and it wasnt anywhere near a uniform covering - think of a regular largar thats been sitting around for a while, theres a bit of foam on top but not much and the beer is very visible through the gaps.

Also, should it be this cloudy? Its a week old at this point.

157991.jpg

What reading are you getting with the hydrometer? The beer is usually a bit cloudy after a week but should clear up a lot given another week. What type of coopers kit is it?

About the 52 mark from what I could make out and its the Larger one that comes in the Coopers Starter Kit http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=813

JohnK wrote: »
    About the 52 mark from what I could make out and its the Larger one that comes in the Coopers Starter Kit http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=813

Are you sure it is reading 1.052 on the hydrometer? It should be reading about 1.015 region now you would think. If you put the hyrometer in trial jar with just water it should roughly read 1.000.

Well its the figure marked Approx Sugar Per Litre that I'm reading and it was just about on the 52 line

There will be a specific gravity scale on the hydrometer and thats what you really need to be looking at. What does 52 g/L of sugar correspond to on the specific gravity scale?

Theres a 20 figure on the same level - that sound about right?

If its at about 1.020 its not finished fermenting so you will have to leave it until it gets a constant reading in the 1.014 to 1.012 range. Leave it for another few days and check to see how its progressing. Its no problem leaving it in the fermenter for a few weeks and your beer should be a lot clearer too given time.

I'll give it another week so to be on the safe side.

Advertisement