Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird hit the window!

Options
  • 04-05-2011 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi, was hoping for some advice.... Firstly, I know nothing at all about birds.

Just as I was getting ready to leave for work this morning, I put the dogs out - and they started going mad (barknig, running around, looked on high alert etc.) I looked out and saw that they both seemed to have a little bird cornered. I clapped my hands and it diverted their attention for a second, and the bird flew away.

Then, about a minute later, I was standing looking out the back door, when this little bird (I'm assuming it's the same one) flew straight into the glass and fell on the ground!

I went out and it was just sitting there looking at me, but didn't try to fly off - so I picked it up. I couldn't put it anywhere out the back in case the dogs got hold of it. So I brought it across to a field beside where I live and left it in the grass in beside a wall. When I passed again on my way to work it was gone.

I don't know if it was sick, dying, confused etc. and I didn't know what to do with it to be honest. I've attached a pic I took of it. Is this a common thing for birds to do (Landing in a garden beside 2 dogs, then flying into a window) ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Awww - looks like a fledgeling, perhaps finch. Others on here will know better.

Best thing to do imo was put it safely away from the dogs as you did.

New to windows no doubt - hopefully mum heard it and nothing more than a sore head :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Hopefully. It's funny, the dogs looked as if they were going to attack it, but they were actually very 'stand-offish' ... they were barking & growling, but every time it moved or flapped it's wings they both jumped back away from it!

The fact that it landed in the same area twice though, both times risking being eaten.... would it have been sick or something?

Also, do wild birds like this carry a risk of having a disease or anything?? I used some trusty kitchen roll to handle it as I'm honestly not sure about this.... I mean, you wouldn't pick up a wild rat with your bare hands... what's to say a wild bird is any different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

It could be unwell but in the pic it looks fine (no vet btw ;) )

You're safe enough holding it and fair play to you for doing so. Feather Mites would be the worst thing I'd say but they won't affect you.

Thorough wash of the hands and you're grand :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

herself's parents have had a few birds fly into the window when we've been around - four we know of, and two were able to fly off after a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Lcronin2011

I am almost fully sure thats a starling baby, this happened to me before and they look almost identical! The starlings had made a nest under the tiles on our roof and one day when i was coming home one of the babies fell out of the nest and hit the ground :( I took it into my house and kept it in a warm blanket and fed him but unfortently he died the next day :( like you i didn't really no what to do with it, was hard to tell whether it was sick or injured!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

I'm betting that it's a fledgeling House Sparrow. It looks an awful lot like an adult female but the yellow on the bill shows it's still fledging. Bill is a bit thick for Starling :) Fair play for not keeping it, it's tough but it's better to let nature handle these situations sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Best thing to do is to wrap it loose in an old tea towel and put in a cardboard box somewhere safe outdoors.

Don't handle it directly.

Leave food and water directly in reach of the bird. They use a massive amount of adrenaline from the stress of it all so need to feed and build up their strength asap.

After that it's in the hands of the gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Lcronin2011

Mabel wrote: »
    I'm betting that it's a fledgeling House Sparrow. It looks an awful lot like an adult female but the yellow on the bill shows it's still fledging. Bill is a bit thick for Starling :) Fair play for not keeping it, it's tough but it's better to let nature handle these situations sometimes!
    Don't know why i said starling, meant to say sparrow :P apologies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Just an update. Just in the door from work... I checked the spot where I left the bird this morning, the little fella (or girl) is dead :-(

When I checked this morning I just glanced in as I was cycling past and didn't spot him so I assumed he'd flown away. When I checked just now I stopped and had a look, he's still there. Looks like he didn't move at all since I put him there this morning.

I know it sounds silly but I feel bad for just leaving him there!

Advertisement