Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad/painful is wearing braces?

Options
  • 04-05-2011 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

So I had my ortho consult, had impressions and x-rays taken all that's left now is the actual fitting coming up in the next few weeks but I am terrifed. Everything is so off putting I just know that I will be extremely self conscious all the time. Also it seems there are huge food restrictions and just recently realised that it will involve the use of elastic bands aswell. How visible are these? Is the process very painful? Words of advice please is it worth it?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi Dory

It will be worth it in the long term. You can have crooked teeth or a lovely smile, the choice is yours but to get that smile takes a bit of effort.

The braces will be sore for a few days after fitting and tightening then they are fine so most of the time you will not have any discomfort. You can get white braces or invisible ones on the inside of your teeth if the appearance is an issue.

If you need elastics, it is usually not for that long and usually they are not very noticeable. The food restrictions arent that bad, just avoid very hard foods and sugary things

You dont have to get braces if you dont want to but you will never have straight teeth otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Everytime the bands get tightened it is fairly painful - but nothing two paracetamol won't cure.

Food restrictions means staying away from pop corn and apples. I also stayed away from curries as it stained my bands.

Braces are worth the pain and effort in the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

The first few days will suck, and you will probably be thinking 'why the hell did I do this?'. Its pretty sore, and you might talk a bit funny. You will be very self concious.

This lasts about 2 days to a week depending. For me, it was about 4 days of regret. I've had them 18 months or so now and since that fifth day at the start I havent looked back. You will be amazed at the difference in your teeth and smile, and you start to see that difference very very quickly (Id say around the 4 months mark for me is when I noticed the change). When they tighten the braces, it is a little sore, although only for a day or two and as previous posters said, nothing a paracetemol wont solve! Food restrictions are very easy to get used to-I cut down on fizzy drinks (even though I still have some, even though I know I shouldnt)and really hard things. Other than that, my diet is as normal.

Go for it. Dont let the first few days put you off, thatll pass and you will be so grateful that you got it done in a year or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 xxcsx

I'm 26 year old woman and its the best thing i've ever done.
    I though long and hard about getting them on. I have them top and bottom the clear brakcets. I have them on nearly 7 months and my teeth are really starting to straighten out!

The day i got them on was tough, i thought why did i put myself through this at my age. But once the first few days are over its fine. Hardly anyone noticed i have them.

I actually have to get them tightened today. I eat almost everything as normal. Popcorn can be a bit tricky and chewing gum just give them a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

14 months into my treatment and teeth nearly perfect......So happy I did it,
    It was sore for me for the 1st couple of weeks with the pressure and braces scrapping gums, since then not a bother, I've got a jaw extender and bonding on back teeth aswell, you get used to them quickly.
    Braces are so in at the moment, 2 of my close friends have followed me in getting them in the last year....Its well worth the bit of discomfort.
    best of luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Everyone has different levels of pain tolerance but it mainly depends on whether your gums are in good nick if you have sensative gums/teeth it might be a bit uncomfortable at first. The worst part I found was getting teeth taken out beforehand to make room but not everyone needs teeth taken out.

I didn't find it painful, bit sore sometimes but not agony or anything. When they were tightened it's a bit more pressure on your teeth and the first time you'll probably notice it more but after that you get used to it and it fades after a few hours.

It's more of a nuisance then anything but you get into a routine and your teeth straighten so quickly, although takes ages for them to be completly sorted you will notice a difference within a few weeks.

The worst part I found was getting the braces off when removing the glue was very unpleasant but not painful.

The braces will be visable but so many people have them, once you get them you'll start noticing other peoples more. Brushing is tricky at first but again you get into a routine, you get a little brush to get in between but also use those little floss cleaners you get to get in between and use a bit of salt water as mouth rinse. Bit on Bonjela if it's sore at first.

The time goes by so fast you'll be glad you did it, I'm at the retainer stage now which is more of a nuisance than the braces coz at least the braces are permanent you don't have to put them in every night.

Go for it, it makes it so much easier in the long run to clean your teeth properly that's the main reason I got them can get in between the teeth to clean so it means less cavities and that can only be a good thing.

Well I put on a ton of weight during the years I had the braces so didn't stop me eating lol. I even managed to scoff toffefees in the end although I shoudln't of. All you have to avoid it hard toffee and hard chewy things but you can still eat steak etc. for the first month you might find your mouth a bit too sore but you can plan ahead and just make softer foods like mash and mince etc. and ice cream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mumstheword

We were advised that it will be "tender" for the first few days after the brace is fitted. the kids are about to start brace treatment in the next few weeks .. at least its in the summer holidays so if it is sore they will get through it with out with out missing school time. The orthodontist at Zen said neurofen and soft diet works best.... hope this helps good luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I got braces at 17 (19 now and still have them). Am I the only person who loves them!?!?!? I think they look great, haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mumstheword

!!! wrote: »
    I got braces at 17 (19 now and still have them). Am I the only person who loves them!?!?!? I think they look great, haha!

Good for you ... Glad to see your enjoying them .. Hope my gang feel the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 xxcsx

Nearing the end of my braces hopefully be off in a week or so :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement