Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justin Wong slapped with a Yellow Card at pre-EVO event

Options
  • 04-05-2011 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Quite an interesting read here: http://shoryuken.com/content/evo-ruling-regarding-power-up-2011-4410/

The basic gist is that at Power Up (an Ohio EVO qualifier):
    A: Some unnamed players requested that their position in the brackets be moved around and the tournament organisers idiotically agreed.
    B: Justin Wong deliberately lost in the Losers Finals of MvC3, presumably to boost the points of one of his friends.

In response, EVO organisers have stripped Wong of any 'EVO placement points' he would have received from the event and was given a Yellow Card. If he receives another Yellow, he'll be disqualified from EVO.

Justin claims he didn't deliberately lose and that he'd just been playing sloppy all weekend from lack of practice.
    His team in the Losers Final consisted of Phoenix/Dormammu/Skrull - Phoenix on point and he clearly had no idea how to use Skrull. (The video is available at the above link) You'd have to fairly friggin out of practice to make those kind of mistakes :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

He played a random team because he is Jwong.
    He knows he's good enough to win with random teams.

And he switched to his main team for the remaining 3 games, too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Guys, I have something to admit.

I have been delibrately underperforming, especially when playing Hound and Cobelcog, for their benefit.

My apologies, it won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Noel brown, the guy who hit the cripple.

Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Justin doing stuff like dropping magic series into launcher during the combo that would've won him the match I find very difficult to believe was a genuine mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Mr Quotes was saying they (justin and friends) all split the pots at tourneys too.

Not sure if that's true or not.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the reason they do it I think. People have been saying for years that Justin dropped a bunch of Evo MVC2 winners' finals vs Sanford to guarantee both of them getting top two (since Justin would inevitably beat whoever was in losers' final no problem).

Also noel is a girls name.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Noel Brown also shadily announced at a tournament a while back that a match his team was playing in the team tournament was best of 5, not best of 3, just as his team lost their 2nd game.

This was the same tournament, in Loser's Finals, something like the players of both teams agreeing to just play best of 3, but after losing 2 sets he complained to the organiser that it was best of 5 and they continued playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

GorySnake wrote: »
    This was the same tournament, in Loser's Finals, something like the players of both teams agreeing to just play best of 3, but after losing 2 sets he complained to the organiser that it was best of 5 and they continued playing.

What happened was it was supposed to be 2/3 for Winners and Losers finals and 3/5 for Grand, but whoever was running it ran 3/5 for winners and then they asked why winners and losers were not the same. So to make up for the first mistake the organiser made losers 3/5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I can understand what Justin said about not playing MvC3 now that MK is out :)

BUT why would you put phoenix in first? Two slaps and shes dead and no dark resurrection.

Glad that they took some action. It will put people on their toes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

What happened was it was supposed to be 2/3 for Winners and Losers finals and 3/5 for Grand, but whoever was running it ran 3/5 for winners and then they asked why winners and losers were not the same. So to make up for the first mistake the organiser made losers 3/5.

Next goal the winner rule

Just a message from on high guys- if you're speculating here, make it pretty obvious, boards doesn't like being open to defamation of character.

Please don't state anything as fact unless you've proof of it.

Continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

From what I've read, tournament organisation was pretty poor. Brackets being changed at a qualifier event, the mix up in finals...Bad form from the organisers.

The collusion needs to be stamped out. Especially if players want to make a scene where they can actually be paid for their hobby. Why would sponsors and broadcasters even look in that game's direction if the spectacle is going to be taken away from. Unless you make it the WWE and full of glitz, people don't want pre-determined results...And let's face it, nerds trash talking like that would be awful.

On the SRK forum, people were saying "it happens all the time". That's not a valid excuse in my book. Takes away from legitimacy. Smash Bros got dropped by MLG because of the same. And players were looking to get SF picked up?! Good luck with that if this kinda stuff goes on, and continues to be allowed.

Sponsors are getting on board again and even Paddy Powers are dipping toes in the water. Why risk it?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ITS ONLY A GAME.
    its not even a sport.
    event at that you can justify it, cant blame his choice of characters, thats like saying OMGZ hes picking makoto against Gamerbee,

gaming gone too far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Placebo wrote: »
    event at that you can justify it, cant blame his choice of characters, thats like saying OMGZ hes picking makoto against Gamerbee,

There's a big difference between picking Makoto vs Gamerbee if you know how to use her and picking Super Skrull not knowing what his moves actually do.

Either way, its not tangible. Its like blaming a sportsman for taking a bribe.
    Unless it is proven it is only an allegation. Also do the rules state that an entrant cannot submit deliberately

ITS ONLY A GAME.
    its not even a sport.

gaming gone too far

Don't really think so.

Seriously that Skrull was worse than mine. It loos to me like they delibrately found a loophole in other peoples attempt at legitamising Fighting Games (because that is what Evo is these days). There's money on the line. I'd be pissed off if someone tried to worm their way into the money in Inferno, let alone the flagship FG event which quite a few casual gamers watch.

Wong would be one of the people who talk about turning fighting games into something which can support it's best players. If this was done on purpose, he's damaging the hard work everyone does (including people like us at a small scale) by engaging in these back handed tactics- if he is.

Wchi is hard not to believe looking at that video.

Yeah then call it unethical, immoral, bad 'sportsman'-ship but thats it.
    I think too much merit is being given here.

If you're throwing matches, you should be kicked out of the tournament, otherwise, what's the point of tournaments and competition full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

How do you swallow 300 thousand John?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

ITS ONLY A GAME.
    its not even a sport.

gaming gone too far

"Gaming" went too far a long time ago - once money is on the line, it's more than fun and games. It steps over the line into competition.

He justified Makoto by saying he had practiced that matchup. His Dan v Air (which was being brought up on SRK) had a psychological play along with experience vs inexperience. His Skrull on the other hand......was poor.

People involved are happy enough to punish rather than just allege. If you leave it off, there could be further reprecussions ala Italian Football, that snooker incident, boxing (in the past), and even SC1 in S.Korea (which nearly brought down a scene).

He's being paid a salary to compete - therefore he should respect the idea of competition. Why should outsiders take gaming seriously when people who invest 8-10 hours a day screw around. Not exactly a positive image being portrayed...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    He's being paid a salary to compete - therefore he should respect the idea of competition.

This sums it up perfectly for me. If its an exhibition, then whatever, but if you're being paid to compete than you should be competing to the best of your ability. For me its an insult to the tournament organisers, his own company EG and his supporters (for whatever they're worth)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I'm not that much of a fan of Justin but I seriously doubt Justin was boosting, He's well known for going random teams, especially in mvc2 and in ssf4. Also how could he have underperformed,seriously...he went a team he never goes. So he got a warning for not playing 'proper'? Thats like saying "Oh you didnt go your main, you're out!"

I know the whole situation 'looks' suspicious but if players can't even do what they want now that's ridicolous. Yeah he gets paid for it but if he really believes he can beat other players with random teams then that's not donig anything wrong.

If you read the thread fully every other player involved seems agreed that it's 2/3 (with Nerdjosh even confirming that with Noel before the match and Noel agreeing - Noel claims that he had his headphones on and just nodded agreement with whatever). The whole thing seems like a pretty clear angle shoot to me, having read the thread with most people involved's perspectives.

Advertisement