Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog grooming courses

Options
  • 03-05-2011 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there, I wonder if anybody knows of a dog grooming course in the Dublin area that would enable me to work at it, but costing no more than €650?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the grooming pa

Hi
    I dont think you will get any courses that cost so little, most of trained groomers, have spent years learning their trade and spent thousands obtaining their qualifications. If you want to groom dogs as a profession, it is important that you know how to do it correctly, how to deal with any emergencies that may occur, elderly dogs can have all sorts of problems, and you must know how to use equipment correctly and safely. It is not a quick learn job. These are peoples pets, their best friend and should be treated with the utmost respect and care. You would not leave your own dog with someone that did not know what they were doing. If you go to the irish professional dog groomers association you will find a list of groomers in your area, some of which offer grooming courses. Try it first, its a wonderful job, but it is hard sometimes. Many owners do not know how to care for the coats of their dogs and they end up matted and sometimes with skin problems, people think they can buy a clippers and away they go, but not as easy as it seems. It is possible to cut a dogs skin with a clippers or scissors, if you dont know what you are doing. I hope I have not put you off and that you decide to pursue a career in grooming, what I consider a perfect job, furry friends to talk to all day long :) A Healthy dog is a Happy Dog

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

you could do what i did and do a distance learning course/ home study over a year ago it lets you do it on your own time and has great hints ant tips but thats not enough i also volunteered in a grooming salon twice a week and put ad s up on the net advertising free dog grooming but put in the add what your limited skills are and that you are training you will never be short on practice plus great for building up a customer base. the course cost 500 euro or der bouts . as you become more confidentyou can put another add up advertising certain breeds that are more challenging and . now i do 10 -15 dogs per week and have not had a complaint yet 10-15 paying customers that is;)

Advertisement