Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The First Zombie-Proof House

Options
  • 03-05-2011 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭

The First Zombie-Proof House

ZIXe5.jpg
    tdbCt.jpg

Somehow, ritual drunk-conversation concerning team captains for the apocalypse has become a major part of the lives of 20-somethings. Having been matured in the Grandaddy-crowned masterpiece film (put “A.M. 180” on and forget that you have a job), 28 Days Later, we’re all a little too ready to deal with the 2012 of our dreams.

nmaxx.jpg

“The Safe House,” designed by KWK Promes, starts to get eerily close to something I could work with, if say 200 bludgeoned members of the undead army came over to eat their way into borrowing some sugar.

mKUKb.jpg

“The most essential item for our clients was acquiring the feeling of maximum security,” begins the designers’ website in the summary of the structure. Who wouldn’t feel safe in a concrete rectangle that folds in upon itself to become completely sealed? Even the windows are covered with a slab of concrete when the structure is on nap time.

qLIms.jpg

The house, with its movable walls, has only one entrance, which is located on the second floor after crossing a drawbridge. Seems like the perfect opportunity to use a flamethrower and defend the life of your family, while stylishly nesting in a piece of architectural elitism.

gLsK4.jpg
    bRj3j.jpg
    RErkp.jpg
    X42fb.jpg
    aMHmK.jpg
    MC8tG.jpg
    MBwQc.jpg
    GrU2M.jpg
    pe7Q1.jpg
    GN4td.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

MOG6v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

awesome house! and very well built :P
    now we just need to be able to get the surrounding walls to be inpenetrable as well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

how much

Look fairly sturdy to me :)

ZIXe5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Only one entrance - not good if there is a fire etc.

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    When sealed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Tallon wrote: »
    Look fairly sturdy to me :)

ZIXe5.jpg
    as long as you built some kind of rampart so you could get up to see over the wall and take down the z's that way then yeah, but you couldn't just ignore them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I assume there's an escape tunnel or ejector couch included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

see,I don't think it's that good at all.IF you close it up in time you're sitting in large stone coffin with only one way out.If you don't it has nothing but glass at every entrance.Fires would gut it straight out and if anyone knew what it was capable of they'd go straight there at the first sign of trouble so you've a garaunteed horde of either zombies or raiders.
    it'd be a great last stand as you've a wall to defend but you can only last as long as your supplies do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Eh Lads, Ya Know there were a group who came to these Shores 800 years ago that had to deal with angry Mobs, This was their Solution, Notice the absence of Flimsy Rollerdoors, and the solid Stone construction.
    220px-Aughnanure_Tower_House.jpg

the Norman tower house.

Feck off with yer shabby tilt Panel, Solid stone FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

see,I don't think it's that good at all.IF you close it up in time you're sitting in large stone coffin with only one way out.If you don't it has nothing but glass at every entrance.
    I believe it has an outer perimeter though. I'd assume the lock down has allot to do with keeping out the living more than Zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I want, even the permiter walls look very sturdy and robust.

Ideally It would be built on higher ground so you could see anyone or thing approaching with enough time to get your defenses up and ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'll take one. does it come in black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I want one so much. It would be awesome in bad weather too. People would be laughing at you when your build it. Then they'd all be ringing you up during the bad weather wanting to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭magliondee

looks like bin ladens new place so will probably be on market again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That big roller shutter is a serious weakness against a large body of Zeds, or any gang who decide to smash a vehicle into it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Awesome. But should have a exit on the roof. It it's Zack's then the roof would be pretty safe to collect water, boost radio signal and sunbathe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

If you could get detailed drawings and then explain each element with specific reference to zombies it would be worth submitting it for planning permission just to see the response back. Unlike the politicians the planners would have to respond to each element.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Here's a much cheaper option. Take out every second rung of the ladders, add rope ladders through the trees for emergency exits - and the first zombie-proof* village is launched!

* yes, assuming zombies can't climb

weJVO.jpg

Advertisement