Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot Camp partition corruped/gone, HELP!

Options
  • 03-05-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was just about to boot into WinXP to do some 3D modelling for college, but my Boot Camp partition is GONE! :(

I *think* it may have corrupted when I powered it off by holding the power button during a Windows shutdown (damn impatience!).

What can I do??:(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What do you mean gone? Is it showing up in Disk Utility?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It shows, but it's greyed out.
    Additionally, I can't even repair the disk from Disk Utility.

This is the error I get:
    ntfserror.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

And can you boot into Windows at startup by holding option?

I'll double-check; it didn't seem to work for me the last time (hopefully I was holding the wrong button in my panic!)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

You are clearly running NTFS-3G on your Mac. This is an excerpt from this manual
    Checking and repairing NTFS fle systems

There is only limited support for checking and repairing NTFS fle systems at this time. The best way to repair a damaged NTFS volume is using chkdsk in Windows.
    If you install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X, you will fnd that it includes a utility called ntfsfx, which can repair some fundamental inconsistencies of NTFS volumes. This utility is currently not integrated with the fle system bundle, and thus can't be invoked through Disk Utility, because of reports that it has corrupted some users' NTFS drives.
    If you want to try it out despite these warnings, you will have to invoke it manually, from the Terminal. Type “man ntfsfx” for usage info.
    What about doing the mount -t ntfs-3g thing mentioned in the error in your Terminal?

Dont forget the space between the '3' and '/'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

I feel so stupid now :pac:

Must've been holding the wrong button or something; I'm in Windows now.

Gonna make myself a backup this week though, JUUUUST in case!

Advertisement