Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April warmest month on record

Options
  • 03-05-2011 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

According to Today FM newsroom! :pac:

Still I can believe its been the warmest April on record.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SJM

That's crazy... still wearing my jacket tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Yeah, noticed that today, basic standards of journalism and editorial control not too high there, but to be honest they are by no means the worst offenders:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

mike65 wrote: »
    According to Today FM newsroom! :pac:

Still I can believe its been the warmest April on record.

Only the warmest April on record in the west, in the east it was the warmest April since only 2007 due to persistent easterly winds. April '07 was also very dry with fires like recently.
    The summer of 2007 according to the ME monthly weather bulletin was the wettest for 50 years!
    Another notable warm April was 1944. My knowledge of history tells me that the D-Day landings in June were seriously disrupted by unusually severe gales for the time of year. Indications are not good for summer '11.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Only the warmest April on record in the west, in the east it was the warmest April since only 2007 due to persistent easterly winds. April '07 was also very dry with fires like recently.
    The summer of 2007 according to the ME monthly weather bulletin was the wettest for 50 years!

Another notable warm April was 1944. My knowledge of history tells me that the D-Day landings in June were seriously disrupted by unusually severe gales for the time of year. Indications are not good for summer '11.

I don't know, I think the headline is broadly accurate.

The Weather of April 2011: Warmest April on record at most stations; sunny and drier than normal almost everywhere

it was the warmest April on record at most stations. At the long-term stations of Malin Head and Valentia Observatory it was the warmest April in over a century of record, but in some eastern areas it was not as warm as April 2007.

I hope you're wrong about the summer. My belief and my understanding is that weather patterns don't repeat in this way, and that April's weather has no influence on the weather of June to August. But I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭pauldry

Generally a wet and cold May is good if we get one of them Summer may be OK. e.g 1995

But I fear we'll get a warmer May now than I thought 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

SJM wrote: »
    That's crazy... still wearing my jacket tho!

Well it is May :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Turned out I was right to pick April for my wedding afterall. Got a very nice warm day in the west for it.
    But at the start of April it looked like the models were suggesting I was going to have a white wedding, how different it turned out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

just look at your lawn(if you have one),a good indication of how warm the weather was(subject to moisture levels)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Sorry for bumping but there isn't much happening anyway meteorologically speaking.:(
    I'm never happy with a summery April and with good reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Yeah in 2007 it was very warm, temperatures up near the mid 20's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Sorry for bumping but there isn't much happening anyway meteorologically speaking.:(
    I'm never happy with a summery April and with good reason!

If you could define your theory, this would be a fairly easy hypothesis to check. My guess is you're wrong, the atmosphere in July has no 'memory' of the atmosphere in April, but I don't know for sure.
    1. Pick a station
    2. Go to European Climate Assessment & Dataset and get average April temperatures/rainfall/sunshine going back as far as possible
    3. Get average summer (Jun/Jul/Aug) temperatures/rainfall/sunshine for the same station for the same years
    4. Do an XY scatter plot in Excel of the values, and it will pick out the relationship and also tell you if it is statistically significant.

Advertisement