Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Question about hours & breaks

Options
  • 02-05-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Can someone please help me. I work in a credit union as a teller I used to work 9.45 to 5.30 and get 15 min break in the morning and an hour lunch break. Recently the hours have been changed to 10 til 5.15 (6.75 hours) with no morning break and just 30 min lunch hour. I have three questions 1/ can they do this? 2/ Is it meeting my legal break entitlements. I deal with customers all day would this be classed as shop entitlements? (6hours one hou lunch) thanks 3/ we dont always get out at 5.15 mainly 5.30 do they have to pay us overtime or the extra 15 minutes worked? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi, I've moved your post to its own thread, as the one you posted in was quite old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

neil_peart wrote: »
    Can someone please help me. I work in a credit union as a teller I used to work 9.45 to 5.30 and get 15 min break in the morning and an hour lunch break. Recently the hours have been changed to 10 til 5.15 (6.75 hours) with no morning break and just 30 min lunch hour. I have three questions 1/ can they do this? 2/ Is it meeting my legal break entitlements. I deal with customers all day would this be classed as shop entitlements? (6hours one hou lunch) thanks 3/ we dont always get out at 5.15 mainly 5.30 do they have to pay us overtime or the extra 15 minutes worked? Thanks

i know from speaking to NERA in relation to grocery retail any shift that exceeds 6 hours is entitled to a min half hour break. He also said that a 15 min break is also an entitlement.

Your best bet is to chat to NREA however, and sorry for the pun, do you have a union in the credit union?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 neil_peart

I am personally 90 percent of others working they're ain't.. Can they just change that when it suits them? Do they have to pay overtime for the extre 15 minutes we seem to be always working? Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

neil_peart wrote: »
    I am personally 90 percent of others working they're ain't.. Can they just change that when it suits them? Do they have to pay overtime for the extre 15 minutes we seem to be always working? Thanks for your help.

They can change the rota as often as they like so long as they give reasonable notice.

You should in theory be paid for any extra time worked,it only becomes overtime after 39 hrs has happened.

You could argue for this after time be returned during the day in the form of a break! Are you guaranteed to be working the extra few mins every day?

Contact near in relation to your breaks or your union

Advertisement