Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAMPING IDEAS

Options
  • 03-05-2011 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

myself,my wife and my son (7) bought a new tent,bbq and all the things needed for camping.we looked at a few sites on the internet.cong camping site in mayo seemed the best value to us.does anyone know much about it or could you reccomend somewhere else?we would like a place with a lot of activities ie. fishing bike trails canoeing kayak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭firemansam1

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

I'd be greatly interested if anyone has stayed or been there before. We planned to go there last year but never got around to it. Thinking of heading there within the next few weeks.

Anyone been there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

Went camping in lahinch caravan park last week and it was great craic....we went fishin,surfing and went to see the cliffs of moher.The caravan park there thats lets you use the toilets and showers,which was a great comfort to have. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

I have camped in Lough Key Forest park a few times usually on the way to or on the way back from camping in the West. Nice forest and lakeside walks and they have the Tree Canopy Walk which is unique and worth a visit. http://www.loughkey.ie/lough-key-experience/introduction.html
    I think the camp site is managed by Collite, it can be quite busy during the summer so worth ringing ahead. All the usual camp facilities, kitchen and wash up area, toilets, showers and wash room.

Always enjoy camping on Achill Island at Keel Sandybanks which is right beside Keel strand. Great for surfing, hill walking and the stunning landscape! Also all the usual camp facilities there too. http://www.achillcamping.com/

Can't wait to get the tent out again this summer!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I have a little junior myself...how do you guys manage the "morning" cold in the tent ,for the kids ?
    I was looking at some form of heating radiator,connected to camping park 220V electricity,but they are giving you only 5A so that is around 1KW,too less for a heating device !

Any help appreciated ??
    Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

rolion wrote: »
    I have a little junior myself...how do you guys manage the "morning" cold in the tent ,for the kids ?
    I was looking at some form of heating radiator,connected to camping park 220V electricity,but they are giving you only 5A so that is around 1KW,too less for a heating device !

Any help appreciated ??
    Thanks...

How big is your tent? 1kW should be more than enough, unless it's a wedding marquee. The only other option I can think of is something like this. I've seen people use them a few times and they put out a lot of heat (850W) but they also eat cartridges and mightn't be the safest thing to have around young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I'd be greatly interested if anyone has stayed or been there before. We planned to go there last year but never got around to it. Thinking of heading there within the next few weeks.

Anyone been there??

We have camped there twice and loved it. There is a great kids playground and the Boda Borg (http://www.loughkey.ie/boda-borg/introduction.html) if you're up for the challenge! Also lots of walks and plenty of history, we loved the place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

rolion wrote: »

Any help appreciated ??
    Thanks...

A proper warm sleeping bag (even an adult one with a belt halfway down to reduce the "cavity" for the kids) and a good quality sleeping pad (have a look at alpkit) will keep them warm in their sleep. Tents tend to heat up pretty quickly once the sun comes up in the morning. We took our then one year old camping twice last year and this worked a treat. You'll find that the light in the tent will wake them up sooner in the morning than the cold (if properly kitted out). A nice warm drink of tea, milk whatever might be a welcome option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

xtralong & Dibble, thanks for the info! Time to get the camping gear out of the attic methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Myself and herself camped in Lough Key a few years ago - well equipped site, but the camping area is an absolute bog after a bit of rain. Several cars got stuck during my last visit.

Other camp sites worth a shout...Strandhill in Sligo is on my hitlist, the tents are in the dunes and you can hear (and feel) the waves thumping on the shore. Might not be too family friendly though, very much a surfer / student crowd on the occasions I've been.

Hidden Valley in Co. Wicklow is quite nice and camping friendly, a very nice secluded little spot - though you can;t bring the car to the tent as the pitches are across a river by footbridge.

Ferrybank in Wexford is one of / the only "in town" campsite I've been able to find that takes tents. Wexford is a grand spot in good weather, and its nice to be able to toddle across the bridge into town for a pint and a feed.

I'd love a few new ideas for camping in Ireland. I'm in NI and a lot of the sites have stopped taking tents, or else insist on your paying a caravan rate (£20-30 stg /night) to take a touring pitch, or else the tent "pitches" are bucked onto a spare unkept field out the back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two sites I'd recommend are http://www.morriscastlestrand.com/, , mainly families and the beach is just the other side of the dunes. A good mix of tents, caravans and mobile homes. A bit dear and the facilities are a little tired considering the price.

Also http://www.theapplefarm.com/camping.htm in Tipperary. Very laid back and an interesting site in itself. Not much to do but very useful for a one nighter (arrive early to enjoy walking around the orchards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭zxcvbnm12

would any of these sites supply fishing rods and maybe show us where the best place to fish wud be?i have never been fishing but would love to give it a try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 florita

I'd recommend Nore valley park in Bennettsbridge, Kilkenny. It good for families - farm animals, go karting - good facilities. Its definitely my favourite. I've been every year since my daughter was 2 (8 now), I also used to go there as a child myself.

Lough Key is a nice campsite, but because it's in a forest its full of midgees - nightmare when your are trying to eat! The ground does get very boggy when it rains too!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Are any of these sites dog friendly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 florita

I know that Nore Valley park is dog friendly, as long as they are on the lead. So is lough key!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mossey79

Most campsites off peak are dog friendly, but I've found you generally need to ring ahead.

We've found some very nice campsites last summer. Mannix point in Caherciveen, Co Kerry is very nice and right on the ring of Kerry. Excellent facilities right on the bay.

Renvyle, Co. Galway also a very nice campsite with stunning scenery. Right on the beach too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Sorry to be dragging up an old topic. Can anybody tell me if you can rent a caravan/mobile home in the Lough Key Campsite?

Try ringing them to confirm
    +353 71 9662212 (Campsite Office)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Try ringing them to confirm
    +353 71 9662212 (Campsite Office)

OK will do,thanks.

Advertisement