Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring or suspension query

Options
  • 03-05-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi All,

Had the Motorhome out the weekend and got caught out once or twice with the rear of van bottoming out. I think the springs or shocks or what ever is fitted are tired. Its a 1997 Ducato and needs to be raised a couple of inches on rear only any suggestions or options really appriecated. Are air cushions an option or air they mad expensive.

Thanks

MK:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I fitted air bags under back of mine.
    400 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭micko38

Hi Defike,

Where did you get them

Regards

MK

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Google "Marcle Leisure" and you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

drive rite in blanchardstown do the kit for ducato aswell,
    they will beat marcle's price if you talk to them,
    if you do get air bag kit make sure you get a cert thats in english as when you go to d.o.e. the van the lovely lad doing the test will be asking for a cert as air bag kit is a "modification"
    i hope this saves you all the hassel bull sh1te i went through,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Before you invest hard earned on modifications make sure it's not an overweight problem.
    If the axle is overweight the vehicle will fail its roadworthiness test, air bags or not.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I had a look under the van last night and I cant see anywhere air bags could go there appears to be no leaf or any other type of springs just shock absorbers ? but the weight is fine I had it checked

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi
    If air bags are considered a modification on a camper it leaves one to wonder what part of a camper is not modified as none are built completely by one company.
    Yours zambo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

if there's no leaf springs , you probablt=y have an Alko chassis , bet it's got a seized torsion bar . was it ever greased?

Hi Aidan,

I dont have the van to long so dont know if it was ever greased. What are my options and would your company do the work ?

Regards

MK

well , first have a look and see if there are actually grease nipples , the newer ones foolishly don't . Then jack the camper and see do the wheels droop . if not , it'd point to the suspension being seized. Try that first , if that fails,come back to me.

• Advertisement

Thanks Aidan,

I'll try that over the w/end

Regards

MK

Hi Aidan,

I finally got around to jacking up the back of van. As I was jacking it up the wheels did droop so I raised it as far as jack would allow I found the greese nipples on each end which appeared to have been greased in recent times, I pumped more greese in and put it down off the jacks drove it around a bit on our lovely bumpy roads and the rear of van has remained a few inches higher than it was previously but still not as high as I would like. I dont know if there is anything else that would help (like new shock absorbers)Thanks for the advise

MK

it might free up a bit with more greasing/driving . New dampers won't do any harm , chances are they're partly worn out at this stage anyway .

Thanks Aidan, I'll try that

good stuff , keep us posted!

Hi All,

Just back after 2 week trip in France and only problem is the van is still considerable low on the back. I jacked up the van pumped grease into the Alko axle which seemed to raise it for a time. I was looking at air bags, they dont seem to be recommended for this type of chassis. Any idea's what my options are would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Torsion bar kaput? Did you get it weighed to see if you're over weight. If your under weight you can send your vin number to alko they can send you the specs for the axle with measurements you can take to see if the axle is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

Some torsion bars can be adjusted. They could on the ford Mavrick jeeps....

there was a splined end on them that could be rotated a few splines to increase the pre-load.

Merv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Before you invest hard earned on modifications make sure it's not an overweight problem.
    If the axle is overweight the vehicle will fail its roadworthiness test, air bags or not.

Have you checked the weight ?, it's not uncommon for a MH to be overweight on the rear axle, particularly if a lot of stuff is stowed towards the rear and bikes are being carried on a bike rack attached to the rear wall.

As regards airbags for the Alko Chassis there are available here http://www.as-airsuspension.co.uk/alko.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gfc

hi all,been scanning site 4 about a year,so this is my 1st posting,just fitted an AIR ASSIT SUSPENSION from DUNLOP on an 94 ALKO chassis which has a torsion suspension , back was sagging so i fitted these ,great job they levelled up back end plus road holding is great,well worth the money,

• Advertisement

Hi Gfc

Sounds like what I need

Where did you source this kit, was it expensive and Is it a big job to install

Thanks

M

Advertisement