Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful zombie survival skills?

Options
  • 03-05-2011 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

What skills will be of most value for the purpose of surviving an outbreak of zombies? I'm going to go with weapons(not necessarily guns), farming and first aid. Any other suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

killin zombieees

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

The-Rigger wrote: »
    killin zombieees

In the event of an actual zombie outbreak I think it's thought provoking and intelligent insights like this I'm going to miss the most!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

in fairness mate there is too many weapon threads as it is i would have went with keeping warm etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

parkour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Hurling would be a fine asset.

A good sliotar to the head would take any zombies heads off!

• Advertisement

What are you gonna do for food????? Your probably going to have to eat at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

A good costume and make up department.Blend in by dressing and looking like a zombie.Check out Michael Jacksons thriller video for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Don't stay in one location for too long, the scent of food cooking and human activity will attract them. Also lives will be lost, along with supplies in your escape.

Movement is key to survival. Take only what you need.
    The basics (in my view): Food, clean water, tent, vehicle, map (not electronic), trusty family/friends (armed and alive) ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

basic survival training[hunting,what berries to gather,trapping, how to purify water]
    A serious lack of empathy or enough to make the harsh calls
    Decent physical fitness
    some larceny wouldn't be too bad either[breaking into places]
    being able to smith or cobble things together from bits and spares lying around.

thats survival,the rebuilding needs a whole other skillset

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

TheoBoone wrote: »
    In the event of an actual zombie outbreak I think it's thought provoking and intelligent insights like this I'm going to miss the most!!

You can come hang out at mine when it all kicks off, I'll keep the zombie wisdom flowing.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    You can come hang out at mine when it all kicks off, I'll keep the zombie wisdom flowing.

I imagine I'd have just as much luck with the zombies themselves.

:D

Just Kidding!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

basic survival training[hunting,what berries to gather,trapping, how to purify water]
    A serious lack of empathy or enough to make the harsh calls
    Decent physical fitness
    some larceny wouldn't be too bad either[breaking into places]
    being able to smith or cobble things together from bits and spares lying around.

thats survival,the rebuilding needs a whole other skillset

Sounds like everyone might need to be a cross between MacGyver and Bear Grylls! lol
    Good list though. Definitely basic survival skills will be key.

I think extensive weapon skills have to take a backseat to physical fitness. Being able to outrun a bunch of them would probably be preferable to trying to fight a bunch of them, killing maybe the first three and then getting bitten and becoming one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

good eyesight and hearing, a light sleeper, fairly intuitive so you know who to trust, being able to keep your cool in a crisis, fairly intelligent, problem-solving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Jaysis lads and lassies, the zombie survival forum needs a serious upskilling!

First understand the rule of threes. Three minutes without air, three hours of exposure, three days without water, three weeks without food. That's how long it takes.

This in turn informs your survival priorities. First you need shelter and warmth, then you need clean water, then you need food. If you're wet you'll lose heat many times faster than if you're dry, so get dry and stay that way. Once your immediate needs are taken care of, sit down and think.

One of the most important things at all times is to keep your spirits up. Set constructive goals, congratulate yourself on your successes, downplay the failures, do not fall into the self pity trap. This is the key difference between a survivor and a victim.

Learn how to rig up a lean-to out of anything handy, learn about insulating yourself, learn how to make fire. Purifying water is relatively simple as well, once you know what you're doing. If you're near a seashore, you should have abundant food available. If not, learn how to set snares (a little noose hung over game trails). Watch animals to see what they eat, that probably won't kill you.

Keep this stuff in mind and you can pick up the rest as you go along. Someone who's invested a little time in the basics and has minimal equipment will have much, much better odds than someone loaded down with the latest and greatest but has no clue how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Always have a fat slow person in the group ~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 adamokeefe

I will agree with TheoBoone. In addendum.

If you can form a small band of people progressively less able and skilled than yourself, and also avoid any attachment to them, you have a little fodder that will slow down the undead.

If any of these are a child, avoid them like the plague itself. Kids always survive, and the one who ensures that is usually the one who dies horribly in some misguided self sacrifice.

So, a near psychopathic ability to befriend and then utilize people with no reprecussions of conscience, utter ruthlessness and pediaphobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 adamokeefe

ALSO:

Woody Harrelson.

adamokeefe wrote: »
    ALSO:

Woody Harrelson.

...and Ving Rhymes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I have cop on!
    Good shape, good knowledge of biology :P

Good knowledge of zombie films!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Joonaspp

Shooting, obviously.

I was a terrible shooter in the army. :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

being able to make boobie traps - even some tin cans on string might be enough to give you a head start

don't forget to put up warning signs , zombies can't read can they ??

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Get OSI maps for Ireland and put the locations from the Zombie survivors map on them. That way when the internetz goes down you will still know where you are and importantly where to go to meet up with our fellow boardsies !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check up on Morman sites about storing a years supply of food.

Or simplier stil get shotgun and a list of addresses of Mormans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not adviseable! Mormons know how to use guns and more than likely will shoot back,extremly well!:p:D.However they WILL gladly show you how to set up a years supply of food and sell it to you at cost.After all they be able to convert you too!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    sell it to you at cost.
    Hmmm it should be easy to acquire currency on Z day ;)

Advertisement