Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12v solar dirty water pump with float switch...

Options
  • 03-05-2011 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Where the hell do I find an item like that :confused:

Needs to be solar powered as there's no power on site.

Needs to be able to handle dirty water such as bog/marsh water.

Needs to have a float switch as it'll be left to it's own devices to do it's business.

Needs to be able to lift water up 10 meters minimum, 20 would be great.

Needs to be cheep, like the budgie :D

I can find dirty water pumps that aren't 12v.
    I can find 12v pumps that aren't for dirty water.
    I can find 12v dirty water pumps for fountains which won't "lift" water :rolleyes:

Any useful suggestions or links appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

johngalway wrote: »
    Where the hell do I find an item like that :confused:

Needs to be solar powered as there's no power on site.

Needs to be able to handle dirty water such as bog/marsh water.

Needs to have a float switch as it'll be left to it's own devices to do it's business.

Needs to be able to lift water up 10 meters minimum, 20 would be great.

Needs to be cheep, like the budgie :D

I can find dirty water pumps that aren't 12v.
    I can find 12v pumps that aren't for dirty water.
    I can find 12v dirty water pumps for fountains which won't "lift" water :rolleyes:

Any useful suggestions or links appreciated :)

would a bilge pump from a boat do you? try ebay for if so. that would be dirty enough water id say, i think you can forget about solar though, if its 12v hook it up to car battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm not sure it could handle the lift? The solar idea is that a panel would be attached to a battery to top it up, the float switch then would turn on and knock off the pump as the water level rises or falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

You should put that in the plumbing section John. Might be worth giving EPS in Ballyhaunis a call too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Check this bilge pump out:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056256512

You could install some type of strainer around it to prevent it from taking in too big of dirt particles - but its made for pumping dirty water from boats.#

Check out this 12v solar panel:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/4W-12v-Volt-Solar-Panel-Power-Boat-Car-Battery-Charger-/120719817959?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item1c1b763ce7

It would keep a used tractor battery or 2 topped up and surely keep your pump running.

There are loads of cheap options on float switches. Have a look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Horizontal-Liquid-Level-Sensor-Float-Switch-/300549528027?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item45fa25d9db

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

hi was wondering did you manage to sort this out as i looking for something similar to pump water from stream to ibc tank

any help would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

jerdee wrote: »
    hi was wondering did you manage to sort this out as i looking for something similar to pump water from stream to ibc tank

any help would be appreciated
    I see on the journal (classified) connachtagri.ie do a solar powered subversive water pump..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sorry Jerdee, just saw this.

No, I've not done anything else about it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I was going to try this aswell.
    Firstly you don't need to worry about dirty water if you have a proper inlet filter on pump. You don't want dirty water anyway, so why pump it.
    You'll have to match the output of the Solar Panel to that of the pump too.

I'll put up links for the different parts later when I get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Did anyone have any joy in getting this going?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

If its a tank type situation where water is collected, then when it reaches the top of the tank, you want it emptying
    You'll need two float switches one at the bottom of the tank, and one at the top, a twelve volt relay a twelve volt car battery and a boat bilge pump and a say forty watt solar panel.

It's no good just having a single float switch as it will be going on and off all the time as the water fluctuates by a couple of inches

So the idea is starting with an empty tank
    As the water rises the bottom float switch switches on
    The water continues to rise until the top float switch switches on
    The top switch switches the relay on
    One set of contacts is fed from the bottom switch and applies power to the pump, in parallel with this the second set of contacts keeps the relay energised so that the pump keeps running when the water level drops and the top switch switches off.
    The pump is kept running by the relay latch powered by the bottom switch.
    When the bottom switch switches off the pump stops, and waits for the tank to fill again, then the cycle repeats itself

Hth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

colrow wrote: »
    If its a tank type situation where water is collected, then when it reaches the top of the tank, you want it emptying
    You'll need two float switches one at the bottom of the tank, and one at the top, a twelve volt relay a twelve volt car battery and a boat bilge pump and a say forty watt solar panel.

It's no good just having a single float switch as it will be going on and off all the time as the water fluctuates by a couple of inches

So the idea is starting with an empty tank
    As the water rises the bottom float switch switches on
    The water continues to rise until the top float switch switches on
    The top switch switches the relay on
    One set of contacts is fed from the bottom switch and applies power to the pump, in parallel with this the second set of contacts keeps the relay energised so that the pump keeps running when the water level drops and the top switch switches off.
    The pump is kept running by the relay latch powered by the bottom switch.
    When the bottom switch switches off the pump stops, and waits for the tank to fill again, then the cycle repeats itself

Hth

I wouldn't be complicating things like that...

a simple float switch like on any sump-pump would do.. Vary the length of the cable and it will determine how full the tank gets before emptying down and stopping whenm the float lowers with the water level and stops the pump...

I installed many of these on farms in a past life and there is nothing to go wrong.. KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Like this..
    NEW-Stainless-Steel-Submersible-Sump-Pump-Plumbing-Drain.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

bbam wrote: »
    I wouldn't be complicating things like that...

a simple float switch like on any sump-pump would do.. Vary the length of the cable and it will determine how full the tank gets before emptying down and stopping whenm the float lowers with the water level and stops the pump...

I installed many of these on farms in a past life and there is nothing to go wrong.. KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Like this..
    NEW-Stainless-Steel-Submersible-Sump-Pump-Plumbing-Drain.jpg

we have 3 of these , they just keeping working away year in year out,

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Gman1987

jomoloney wrote: »
    we have 3 of these , they just keeping working away year in year out,

What make of a pump is that? Are they 12 volts?

Advertisement