Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

champix or zyban???

Options
  • 02-05-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

going into the doc in the morning which one would you recommend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Champix.

Zyban, I'm told by a number of Dr.'s, is a dirty f*ckin drug.

I'm on my second week of Champix. I stopped smoking 4 days ago and I'm fine. On my last night on the smokes I watched the Allen Carr DVD. No harm in strengthening the campaign.

You may get the occasional trigger where you will think about smoking but its nowhere near as bad as doing this cold turkey. A few weeks back I stopped for 10 days and was doing great but then allowed myself to get into a panic about smokes and off I went a bought a pack. With Champix, for me, that panicky feeling is totally absent. I get the occasional thought 'I want a fag', I acknowledge that its there, tell myself that I dont want a ciggie as I have quit, the thought is just a reaction to a habit I developed to nicotine and then its gone again... no probs.

I would recommend it highly, the only side effects I got were when I was smoking and taking the tabs. My stomach would react to the smoke. I am also rather sleepy during the day but nothing major.

Best of luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Have you tried neither? Save yourself the cost of a doctor's visit as well as the cost of the drugs. Just quit cold turkey - if you are ready to quit that may be enough. Even if it doesn't work you won't be any worse off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Dya reckon that might have occurred to Sparks before this?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭surm00

I'm on zyban now, I specifically requested it as I knew it was originally an anti-depressant and have experience dealing with much worse. I didn't like the sound of serious mood irritation from the champix, even if it does make not smoking much easier. I like the fact that there's still and element of willpower and effort with zyban. In saying that I'm going down to the chemist now to get some nicotine chewing gum before I crack up LOL!

Advertisement