Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science in Ireland - Where to go?

Options
  • 02-05-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello all. Long time lurker, very little poster here!
    I'm unsure if this is the correct place for this topic and if it is, I apologise in advance. Feel free to move it! :o

I've been looking at a few courses, mainly in UCD, NUIG and DCU, but I'm unsure as to which course to pick. I meet all subject requirements for the following listed below. I just need help deciding in which course to go with. Could anybody here give me some suggestions (preferably people who are going into the IT sector :P ) as to which to pick?

I'm doing Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology, Geography (all higher) and I'm doing Irish and French at ordinary level. I'm also doing LCVP.

I'm looking to study in Ireland as things aren't too great financial wise.

If you want to suggest any other courses in Ireland, please do!

Just some info:
    NUIG

UDC

DCU

Currently, I've selected the course at NUIG as my first choice. I've been around the campus a few times, saw the facilities and I feel it is quite good. I say 'feel' as I don't know if it is good or not! :L

I've also heard some good things about DIT, is there anybody here who is taking that course?

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Why haven't you mentioned Trinity? The course is very low points (around 350) and all you need is a HC3 in Maths. It's also accredited by Engineer's Ireland which means that you are a qualified Computer Engineer. Very few courses have this and it's worth considering for that alone because it means you're fully able to work in other countries such as US, Canada etc. I don't know about NUIG but I know DCU's one is not accredited.

Just something for you to think about, it may not mean a lot to you now but if you have to emigrate it'll make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bosca

Why haven't you mentioned Trinity? The course is very low points (around 350) and all you need is a HC3 in Maths. It's also accredited by Engineer's Ireland which means that you are a qualified Computer Engineer. Very few courses have this and it's worth considering for that alone because it means you're fully able to work in other countries such as US, Canada etc. I don't know about NUIG but I know DCU's one is not accredited.

Just something for you to think about, it may not mean a lot to you now but if you have to emigrate it'll make a huge difference.

Oh cac....I really have to go check out that Trinity course. I actually plan on leaving the country and all (if I get a chance to that is :L ).....!

Thanks for the help AnneElizabeth! I really do appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Its only accredited up to 2009 according to Engineers Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Its only accredited up to 2009 according to Engineers Ireland.
    The B.A. (Moderatorship) in Computer science degree programme is accredited by Engineers Ireland and fulfils the educational requirements for professional membership of Engineers Ireland. This accreditation is recognised by a large number of engineering institutions worldwide. Membership of Engineers Ireland with Chartered Engineer status will require the completion of an additional year of study at TCD leading to the award of a Master’s level degree.
    From the Computer Science Information.

They may be in the process of reapplying. You have to reapply every few years to make sure that the standard is still up to scratch. Where did it say that it's no longer accredited? I assume they would change the website if it hasn't be accredited for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

From the Computer Science Information.

They may be in the process of reapplying. You have to reapply every few years to make sure that the standard is still up to scratch. Where did it say that it's no longer accredited? I assume they would change the website if it hasn't be accredited for two years.

List of all accredited course are here. I wouldn't be surprised if the Trinity website hadn't been updated, happens all the time with big websites.

http://www.engineersireland.ie/services/programme-accreditaton/accredited-programmes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

As far as I know, the CS course in Trinity is restructuring as a 5 year course to retain accreditation with Engineers Ireland.

I do know that it is a high priority for the course directors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

After a year of doing a Computing Degree (DKIT) (changing course next year), I'd recommend doing it somewhere like NUIM or DIT and not Trinity.

DCU is excellent for this area but the course is very tough and has a high drop out rate. Half of last years 1st year students have dropped out. Think it's vital to do some programming beforehand and know what the course is like.

IT's are very good for this area as they prepare you in a practical sense more than many universities. DIT has a strong reputation and as an IT it will prepare you in the practical sense.

Don't know much about NUIG's degree but the campus is wonderful, was there recently. I would seriously consider studying there. It's also the nicest area in Ireland in my opinion.

My problem with Trinity is, despite the low points and it's obvious reputation, there is far too much essay writing which for a Computer course, I can see being detrimental in the long run, this accreditation mentioned before is not half as important as it's made out to be. Employers look for good exam results first and foremost and how the person comes across.

Computer Science needs to be hands on and if you have a passion for Computing all the essay writing could annoy you, when you could be spending a lot of that time doing programming and other work.

Hope that helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

What essay writing exactly? I think I've done a grand total of two in total. Unless you're referring to technical write-ups and such?

I'll just leave this here http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/02/how-to-write-without-writing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

What about UCC.?
    Nicer campus and weather than Galway. Its not just the course thats important when your heading to college.
    My guess is NUI courses are much the same.

DCU has a good rep in the industry ; getting a good result in an IT somewhere would also be regarded positively.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭i124Q

I'm currently in my 2nd year of Computer Science in DIT.

Requirments Points:
    2010 - 335
    2009 - 285
    2008 - 230

Subjects: 2 higher level subjects with C's. Maths Ord C3.

Requirments are pretty low but the course itself is tricky, like all comp science courses i'm sure..

You start off learning C, then C++. Subjects like Algorithms which you need to get your head around straight away, Software Engineering(Project managment really) which is grand, Maths of course which is maths.. Databases, working with MS Acess, SQL...etc and then there are those horrible subjects like OS, Microprossesors...the stuff nobody really cares about..

All in all, its a well recognised degree by microsoft and the relationship between DIT and Microsoft is very strong.

The course is based in Kevin Street, which is not the prettiest of places, but easy to get to as it is central in town.
    No girls do this course, except for 2-3.

You really do get what you put into this course. It's up to you to dedicate spare time...etc to programming, assignments..etc.

I probably would have preffered to do it elsewhere like UCD just because UCD has a campass and is a much nicer place than kevin street. Just didnt get the points for it.. oh well..

Any questions, just ask me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Cygni

I asked people around and the best recommendation I got was UCD. But then again more people here seem to be recommending DCU.

Sadly I don't want to go there and hopefully I can get into UCD. I just have a bad feeling points are going to go up drastically. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Cygni wrote: »
    I asked people around and the best recommendation I got was UCD. But then again more people here seem to be recommending DCU.

Sadly I don't want to go there and hopefully I can get into UCD. I just have a bad feeling points are going to go up drastically. Oh well.

UCD completely changed how they do Computer Science in 1st year, might be all the way through no sure. So some opinions might be based on how it was done in the past. I'm going into 2nd year next year and I thought 1st year was done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

This might not be of any help but my friend is doing comp science in Nuig and he hates it....as far as I know you've really got to love computers or else it can be pretty boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Just finished my Final year in NUIGs course loved the four years, the course was fantastic but I really enjoyed the subject so it was much easier for me to pick up on the stuff. Their are two accredited courses in Ireland by Engineers Ireland run by NUIG, Trinity. I think UCD's course was recently ranked as Irelands best by QS computer-science.
    Very good job prospects at the moment in the sector UCD's as I said is viewed as the best but I'd definitely consider Galway and Trinity both are very good courses.

Although after checking Engineers Ireland website you may have to get a masters from Trinity/NUIG before you can become a recognized as a chartered Engineer.
    Engineers who graduate from 2013 and wish to become Chartered engineers will need to hold an accredited Master Degree (Level 9), or equivalent. Level 8 Bachelor degrees will, from 2013, satisfy the requirements for MIEI membership only

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I just finished the Computer System course in UL, its a good course. There's a reasonable mix of theory and practical stuff. There's also an 8 month work placement in 3rd year

One thing is worth noting is that there's only so much a course can teach you. The IT industry is moving at a fast rate and technology is changing faster than ever. A CS degree will only teach you one or two programming languages (in my case java and C++). There are several languages in use (Java, C++, C Phython, Ruby on Rails, PHP, ASP.Net) but once you know the concepts of one it shouldn't be too hard to pick up the rest.

The one bit of advice i'd give you is to put together a portfolio while in college. This can include college based projects but should include some other work that you decided to do yourself. This can include websites, computer programs, web apps etc. Also any additional courses (Cisco, SCJP) or compititions (xna, robocode) you can take part in the better. Makes you look stand out amongst employers.

If you've any questions i'd be happy to answer them

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I did Computer Science in TCD and graduated in 2004. It was an excellent course and I enjoyed most of it. It has changed a bit since then, but from what I've seen it's still a good course. Some people who didn't do it complain that it's too theoretical, but I disagree. I use the skills I learned in it every day and there were some fantastic hands-on projects all through the course (and very little essay writing!).

This year I went to the final year project presentations for the TCD, DCU and DIT courses as part of a hiring drive in work. In all three, I was impressed by some students and unimpressed by others. Based on what I saw, if there's a difference between them it's very small.

What bazkennedy says above is worth paying attention to. There's a huge variation in the quality of graduates coming out of every CS course so work outside your course. It's a great way to show your skills and abilities and get noticed ahead of your classmates. Even if you do a course with built-in work experience try and get as much real coding done as possible, either through internships or by contributing to open source/free software.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 morinmemphis

HI , i m starting HIGHER diploma in COMPUTING . how was it in dit..?

Advertisement