Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap Year Job is letting me go because I'm going to colllege!

Options
  • 02-05-2011 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I took a year out this year to work and save for college. I have been working in my current job part time for just over seven months now and when I was interviewed initially I told them i was pretty sure I was going to be going to college the folllowing September. I recently approached my employer about being switched to weekend work in September. I was told this wasn't possible because someone else is currently working weekends. I was then told I would have to hand in my notice in September!

Do I not have any entitlement to keep my job even though they hired me knowing that I would be going to college?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nope.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do I not have any entitlement to keep my job even though they hired me knowing that I would be going to college?

No essentially you are looking for a different contract and cannot fulfill the one you are currently on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

when I was interviewed initially I told them i was pretty sure I was going to be going to college the folllowing September.

So you think you have a verbal contract with your employer?
    It doesn't work like that! It's only interview talk and isn't part of your contract in the slightest.

Advertisement