Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help finding unique wedding venue where I can set up our own bar.

Options
  • 02-05-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,
    We are hoping to get married in June 2012 but are having trouble finding a venue where we can do our own thing. We don't really want to go down the traditional hotel route. We need to seat approx.150 guests.
    Want to be able to set up our own bar (i.e supply our own drink for an open bar)
    Ideally want a place where we can bring in our own catering company (not essential if they have good in house catering)
    Looking mainly in Dublin but open to suggestions anywhere in Ireland.
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers,
    Ian

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Only a long shot but what about here http://www.loughcrew.com/weddings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

(i.e supply our own drink for an open bar)
    Maybe re-word the "bar" part when looking? IIRC, a bar/pub needs a license to sell drink. Sell being the big word. I don't think (I'm not a lawyer, this is just my opinion) you need a license if you're just getting a load of drink, and drinking with your friends. So if looking, mention you'll be bringing some of your own drink, but don't mention the word "bar", as you'll probably get a "no" straight away if the place doesn't have a license to sell drink...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hi all,
    We are hoping to get married in June 2012 but are having trouble finding a venue where we can do our own thing. We don't really want to go down the traditional hotel route. We need to seat approx.150 guests.
    Want to be able to set up our own bar (i.e supply our own drink for an open bar)
    Ideally want a place where we can bring in our own catering company (not essential if they have good in house catering)
    Looking mainly in Dublin but open to suggestions anywhere in Ireland.
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers,
    Ian

Try the Pillar room in the Rotunda, a friend did all that there and also lisnavagh house in co carlow where I got married and we also had bar, caterers and best of all no curfew!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OFD wrote: »
    but one thing to watch out for if having a bar is the corkage charge that many places will charge.
    The other thing is that as they charge per bottle opened, you may be thinking "if I only open X amount, I'll only get charged X amount". Wrong. A load of hotels just open all the bottles "so they're ready to go", and thus you'll need to pay out max amount. If you are bringing a lot of bottles, bring a bag of corks, so you can still bring the unused bottles home with you, and/or gift them to people if they become opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

If you are supplying drink for a free bar then you don't need a liquor licence. This licence is only required for a bar where money is changing hands.

One option would be to have a marquee. It is an expensive option if you go the whole hog but absolutely fabulous.

Otherwise why not check out local community centre or theatre or hall?
    In Franc's weddings he had an episode where they hired a local centre and when it was all done up it looked lovely.

I hope you get sorted and have your own personal wedding day with a difference. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

the_syco wrote: »
    The other thing is that as they charge per bottle opened, you may be thinking "if I only open X amount, I'll only get charged X amount". Wrong. A load of hotels just open all the bottles "so they're ready to go", and thus you'll need to pay out max amount..

You can tell them not to do this, just agree it in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

What about the crypt at christchurch?? You supply your own bar and caterers they just provide the venue.

Advertisement