Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does Fedor rank in your eyes?

Options
  • 02-05-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Fedor Emelianenko was the first fighter to bring me into the world of MMA. With his two recent losses, and an upcoming fight, his invincible veneer has worn off. With this being said, the man is a legend.

Where does he stand in your eyes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Perhaps not the best HW these days mainly due to the size disadvantage against the likes of Cain and Silva who are equally skilled and weigh much more.

However I still think he's the HW G.O.A.T. - only Big Nog has built a similar legacy in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Taking his entire legacy into consideration, best mixed martial artist of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Fedor is like zidane. At his prime he was the best in the world at the time, one of the best the world has seen. Probably nearing the end of his career where his limitations have caught up on him (size etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In my opinion he was, and still is one of the best Light heavy weights in the world. so good that he chose to beat up havyweights for years.

He'll destroy Hendo inside 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Simply, the Greatest Of All Time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Fedor was alway an odd one. He over committed to strikes yet KO'ed guys.
    He got dumped on his head by wrestlers and then subbed them and GNPed the best MMA guard players from guard.

I feel his time may be up but a drop to LHW might be the medicine for him.

Very early to say but I think Bones might be the new Fedor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

If I was captured by some sub-saharan tribe and I was allowed to pick somebody to fight for my life and my freedom then I would go for Fedor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    If I was captured by some sub-saharan tribe and I was allowed to pick somebody to fight for my life and my freedom then I would go for Fedor.

I'd rather be put to death tbh........ by snu-snu

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

July 30th will see Fedor vs Hendo and honestly I think Hendo is gonna end Fedor's career.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    July 30th will see Fedor vs Hendo and honestly I think Hendo is gonna end Fedor's career.

While I'm a huge Hendo fan, I honestly think Fedor is going to be the first person to knock him out.

If it goes to the ground as I'd expect, I just can't see Hendo surviving Fedor's brutal GnP.

The only way I see Hendo winning is by overhand right or by cuts.

It'll be interesting to see Fedor having the size advantage for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

SanoVitae wrote: »
    While I'm a huge Hendo fan, I honestly think Fedor is going to be the first person to knock him out.

If it goes to the ground as I'd expect, I just can't see Hendo surviving Fedor's brutal GnP.

The only way I see Hendo winning is by overhand right or by cuts.

It'll be interesting to see Fedor having the size advantage for once.

I've no idea who to root for in this one.... I'm a big fan of both fighters. It should be a great war, both lads always bring it. It would be very surreal to see either K.O.ed though.

I see Fedor surviving an early scare and winning the fight via close decision.

If Fedor does lose, it'll definitely be time for him to retire.

But I think there's a lot left in him and it's simply down to desire. The fact that he's gone to Holland to prepare for the fight is encouraging.

The pressure is off Fedor now and the same people who were spouting all the "unbeatable Russian cyborg" nonsense are now writing him off. I think he'll thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I feel his time may be up but a drop to LHW might be the medicine for him.

Can't see him ever being able to cut down to LHW.

He may not be a big HW, but he's naturally that weight and has never looked ripped or cut in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

A couple of weeks off the potato soup on a proper nutritional plan then he would make LHW no problem.

Bones is a much bigger man and makes the cut.

I do beleive though we have a better quality of athlete coming into the sport and the standard may have raised to the point where as good as Fedor was he didn't adapt enough.

The thing is though Dan is sorta old school like Fedor. I really like both a lot but would place my money on Fedor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

would love to see fedor and hendo on the big ufc rio card.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

He always relied on his speed heavily but now I think he's finished. I can't see him beating Hendo and who would they put him up against in the UFC. So many people love Fedor and I doubt they will want to watch the likes of Brendan Schuab and Pat Barry smack him around. A great fighter but another one of the guys who's been passed out by the evolving sport of MMA.

He may not be a big HW, but he's naturally that weight and has never looked ripped or cut in his career.

He doesn't need to get ripped to make LHW. Ripped means losing lots of body fat.
    He is 230lbs max. He could get down to 205 by cutting water alone, a smarter way would be to drop some fat and do the rest with water cutting.

Bones is a much bigger man and makes the cut.
    Bones isn't bigger.
    He's tall with a massive reach, but in terms of over mass he is not that big for a LHW, about 220lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

At Heavyweight he's finished, unless he fights the other small heavyweights out there-At Lightheavy i still think he could be the man..

The heavies have just evolved physically too much nad are also technically efficent

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Dude hes 235-238 and has a lot of BF on him, can get the 205 all day long, and we'l see that, I just think he liked having the speed advantage over the past while fighting non top 10 heavyweights who couldnt match him, the man handling he got off Antonio silva obviously woke him up that he shouldnt be at heavyweight, be interesting to see hmi at lhw now but im gonna be shouting for hendo on this one..
    Fedors a serious man to go no doubt about it and has the ground skills to match but i dont think he would last one round with the top 5 UFC HW's, just my opinion of course :)

Tones69 wrote: »
    Dude hes 235-238 and has a lot of BF on him, can get the 205 all day long,

He weigh-in in at 230 vrs Silva
    for the Rogers fight he was 232 and he kept his jeans on.
    205 would be a breeze for him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bagels90

in my opinion fedor was around at the wrong time. the chap is a legend of the sport and one of the best in the world but for me not the best. however now that the sport is more popular than ever hes in the limelight more so hes facing more criticism. hes facing arguably tougher opposition now than before while advancing in age. if he was at his peak now and not in the past id say he'd run through the HW division :)

He may have took a bit of a beating in his last fight, but I think the Werdum fight was just a bad decision to follow (him) to the ground.

He didn't even take a punch, just got sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Brock number 1
    Cain 2
    Juniour 3
    Carwin 4
    Mir 5
    Maybe Fedor 6 and he would never have bet any of these.

Brock number 1
    Cain 2
    Juniour 3
    Carwin 4
    Mir 5
    Maybe Fedor 6 and he would never have bet any of these.

Sorry but how does Brock rank above Cain after their last fight. What would Velasquez have to do to get ahead of him, beat him in the first round a few more times? Do you not think the Reem deserves a spot in the top 6. Also you have Fedor ranked ahead of two people who beat him convincingly.

In all these only Mir is below lesnar and in theory carwin too, theory i said!! overeem I'd put higher too but I still think he needs to face better opposition to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Xlami wrote: »
    Sorry but how does Brock rank above Cain after their last fight. What would Velasquez have to do to get ahead of him, beat him in the first round a few more times? Do you not think the Reem deserves a spot in the top 6. Also you have Fedor ranked ahead of two people who beat him convincingly.

Don't even bother replying, he's been trolling the forum since he came..

Trollololol

ScareGilly wrote: »

Trollololol

All joking aside but report him if he breaks the charter, not 1 report and as much as he comes across negative at times there is nothing that warrants warnings etc, you on the other hand calling people trolls could get infracted, your not but next time you will, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Trollololol

Sorry i'm not scared to call things as i see it on here
    i will follow the rules and am entitled to my opinions which i will qualify if questioned

Dont get on that much but i will come back to it after a few days at worst.

Also im sure you calling me a troll is breaking the rules.
    Xlami wrote: »
    Sorry but how does Brock rank above Cain after their last fight. What would Velasquez have to do to get ahead of him, beat him in the first round a few more times?

I switch the order so
    Cain is ahead of Brock till he's back

Trollololol

Thanks for the warning. I appolgise for my rookie mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Sorry i'm not scared to call things as i see it on here
    i will follow the rules and am entitled to my opinions which i will qualify if questioned

Dont get on that much but i will come back to it after a few days at worst.

Also im sure you calling me a troll is breaking the rules.

I switch the order so
    Cain is ahead of Brock till he's back

Why though, explain via logic how Brock would be ahead of Cain if he comes back.

Advertisement