Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which type of Yoga?

Options
  • 02-05-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭

Going to try something new over the next few weeks/months.

My main focus is my flexibility, so yoga is on the cards for me. An array of strength coaches all over the world agree that its almost essential now to do this as part of a training routine to keep your long term health in check.

I want to focus on it a lot over the next 2 months, so my question is which type of yoga is best for me?

Iv never done it properly before, so i would be a beginner for sure, im based in Dublin near the city center, in Fairview, im only around the corner from Bikram(hot) yoga, would this be a good starting point?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SaraYoga

It depends on what kind of yoga you want to practice, but I would probably not start with Bikram. Not that I don't love it!
    There are so many styles of yoga! I would probably start with a Beginner's course in Vinyasa. This is a very modern practice that blends Western alignment principles with the wisdom and greater connection with yourself that yoga can give. It will give you a solid foundation to build your practice on.
    Bikram, IMHO, is muscular, extreme, fun, but it's easy to get a mere workout and not know if you have used the right muscles, etc. And I think it may be easier to injure.
    Check out Yoga Rathmines. Not sure how far that is from you.
    All the best, Sara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Rathmines is a bit far for me, would like to keep it local around the Fairview/Clontarf area.

Is bikram not as useful as other types?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SaraYoga

Sorry I don't know Dublin that well, I am in Co. Clare. I know there is also really good yoga in Yoga Dublin.

Depends on what you want. I did Bikram for 1 1/2 years. It's a heated, muscular, strenth building, sweaty and therefore cleansing practice. But I can't say it did as much for my flexibility or understanding of how my body works as other traditions. It is the same sequence every time and I think that's a little narrow. Sure, if it's close give it a go. But understand that there is whole world of yoga beyond Bikram.

All the Best:)

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I would recommend vinyasa/flow classes if you're looking for flexibility gains. Or possibly Ashtanga, though it's probably better to start with vinyasa and move to Ashtanga when you know the postures fairly well. As this is the "moving" flavour of yoga it warms you up and facilitates stretching, moreso than a more static class.

• Advertisement

Also could anyone recommend any places that do it? Im based in dublin near the city center, just in the fairview area, so anything around that.

Advertisement