Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nursing placement abroad

Options
  • 02-05-2011 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Is it possible to do any of the nursing placement throughout the 4 years abroad? I have heard you can spend 3 months in Finland but is that the only place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

Is it general nursing/integrated/psychiatric or intellectual disabilities?

I've never heard of anyone going abroad on a nursing placement. I know for integrated and intellectual you can get a 6 week placement in Crumlin Childrens Hospital but that's about it.

What UCC says about placements is:
    Year 1: 12 weeks practice placement
    Year 2: 13 weeks practice placement
    Year 3: 19 weeks practice placement
    Year 4: 36 weeks rostered placement and 1 week practice placement.
    During rostered placement students are paid approximately 80% of a qualified nurse’s salary. While on practice placement you will be allocated a nurse who is responsible for supporting and facilitating your learning. There is a vast array of practice placements for example: medical and surgical nursing, accident and emergency, maternity care and community nursing.

No mention of going abroad and most courses would put that in as an incentive for people to apply. Also as Ireland is one of the few countries to actually have a degree in nursing it's unlikely you'd do your placement abroad as the standards and expectations would be very different across countries.

Advertisement