Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in quin

Options
  • 02-05-2011 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

anyone here useing the Ripplecom or eircom broadband in quin , how do you find i ?? im trying to decide who to go with ???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

using ripplecome , find it excellent but looking at price now , eircom might be better but not sure whether service is better , i am shelling out 39.99 pm !!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

using ripplecome , find it excellent but looking at price now , eircom might be better but not sure whether service is better , i am shelling out 39.99 pm !!!

what speeds are you getting with ripplecom?, Sick of eircom and want to make bills less with voice via voip. I'm currently getting this with eircom 3mb 1277682716.png.:rolleyes:not in quin though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

What kind of speeds are you getting from are you on the 2mb or 8mb package ???
    You can check the speed on www.speedtest.net

this is my current speed with a 3 internet dongle when its running at top speed:(

1278077569.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Is Imagine in Quin? They just started a few months ago here in Ennis. They use WiMAX technology, which is like WiFi but better. A single tower can cover everyone in a two km radius. They are in and around Ennis now. You can go to their website and find out if they cover your area by having them check your phone/address.

www.imagine.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Hello,

Using ripplecom since they started in Quin. At the start the service was patchy. 1Mbs speed ok but outages were unannounced and variable in length, however, in the last 12 months quality of service has much improved. Good speeds and very little outages.
    A couple of months ago I noticed in other areas serviced by Ripplecom that they were offering 8Mbs, so I rang them and got listed for the upgrade. Paying an extra .99c per month and the speed while far from 8mbs is a consistent 4Mbs.

One last thing, since the start I also have used Blueface to deliver my phone services via VoIP. Works very well.
    Ripplecom is not cheap at 39.99e per month but you will get some savings by using VoIP to avoid paying Eircom.

Regs

Liam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I had Ripplecom installed but it didn't work properly because there were trees blocking the line of sight with the water tower. So I got rid of it when ADSL became available.

You can ADSL from an eircom reseller if you don't want to deal with eircom.

sorry not good with the terminology whats asdl ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What is the distance from the access point that is covered by Ripplecom?

I had a look at thier map, with all the orange dots and each dot seems to show a huge area of coverage, yet the dots are in clusters, implying they only work on short distance.

There must be some limit on distance for good speed as the house mounted aerial has to transmit back to the base.

I could not find any such info on their site.

Anyone got that information?

If your house has line of sight (LOS) to the watertower in the village, then you will be able to get a good signal. I was not in that position, so what they offered is to relay the signal from another house that has LOS. I am approx 1.2 miles from the village on the Ballyhickey road (to the GAA pitch). I recieved my signal from a house on the road past the school.

To sum it up, if you are in the village and can take up the eircom boradband offer you should go for it. Otherwise Ripplecom is a good alternative.

Regs

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I am getting this. Haven't a clue what it means. Is it poor?

1286174915.png

• Advertisement

babygirlz wrote: »
    I am getting this. Haven't a clue what it means. Is it poor?

1286174915.png

Yes it is poor ....... the below from Eircom for a 3Mb/s line

1286195317.png

The Upload and Download speeds combined are near equal to the 3Mb/s I am supposed to have.

My ping rates are a bit slow ..... but this is partly due to using Limerick server to test ...... Galway for instance shows 40ms ping. Sligo ahows even better results, while Dublin is the worst I tried.

the reason im looking at the ripplecom is that when you take line rental into it the eircom is more expensive than the ripplecom , @john are you living in quin??, is that your speeds that you are getting ??? can someone whos living in quin and that has ripplecom please do a test and post up your results , just to compare to the eircom , also does the ripplecom speed vary throughout the day

the reason im looking at the ripplecom is that when you take line rental into it the eircom is more expensive than the ripplecom , @john are you living in quin??, is that your speeds that you are getting ??? can someone whos living in quin and that has ripplecom please do a test and post up your results , just to compare to the eircom , also does the ripplecom speed vary throughout the day

No, I am on the Newmarket exchange with a landline from Eircom.
    I too would like to get rid of the line charge from Eircom, which is why I was asking about how wide the coverage was from Ripplecom.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Scar001

This is from Ripplecom in Quin.

I do a regular speed test. Will post them up this evening when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1288849795.png

hi lads sorry to jump in here, but iv tried 3times to contact ripplecom this week and no answer. I have been with ripplecom for 3months everything going fairly well untill this week.
    i keep losing connection to internet , it might work great for an hour then stop/start for the next hour? can any one answer what might be cause of this?

im not the most computer savvy person either, although i still havent got a router, just lead in to back?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

slayer91 wrote: »
    If your house has line of sight (LOS) to the watertower in the village, then you will be able to get a good signal. I was not in that position, so what they offered is to relay the signal from another house that has LOS. I am approx 1.2 miles from the village on the Ballyhickey road (to the GAA pitch). I recieved my signal from a house on the road past the school.

To sum it up, if you are in the village and can take up the eircom boradband offer you should go for it. Otherwise Ripplecom is a good alternative.

Regs

Did they charge you for the relay equipment on the other house? If not, are there other users using the same relay? Thanks.

slayer91 wrote: »

thats pretty impressive , is it a fairly rerliable service in quin ???? constantly the same speeds ????

Yeah,
    As I said, speed and quality has improved over the last year.
    As far as I am aware the guys who were operating the broadband before Ripplecom took it over were offering free installation and rental to people where their equipment acted as a relay point for other houses. Not sure if this is still the plan with Ripplecom.

Regs

• Advertisement
Advertisement