Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mainstream Pop/retro DJing

Options
  • 02-05-2011 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

OK I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but why do all the clubs in Dublin play eletro/dubstep/house stuff ? what happened to mainstream pop, 80's 'normal' music ? I'm getting long in the tooth and find it hard to enjoy a night out because most of the music to me is rubbish, (just my opinion & I'm entitled to air it, so don't sl@g me for it)

When I used to go to a club you would hear a few 'dance remix' versions of songs that were in the charts, but most of it was stuff you heard on the radio or TV. Admitedly MTV was in it's infancy then, but even some of the small clubs would play the old chicago house stuff or chart music.

Am I just stuck in the past or is it because there are so many students in the city ? (not complaining about students by the way)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

OK I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but why do all the clubs in Dublin play eletro/dubstep/house stuff ? what happened to mainstream pop, 80's 'normal' music ? I'm getting long in the tooth and find it hard to enjoy a night out because most of the music to me is rubbish, (just my opinion & I'm entitled to air it, so don't sl@g me for it)

When I used to go to a club you would hear a few 'dance remix' versions of songs that were in the charts, but most of it was stuff you heard on the radio or TV. Admitedly MTV was in it's infancy then, but even some of the small clubs would play the old chicago house stuff or chart music.

Am I just stuck in the past or is it because there are so many students in the city ? (not complaining about students by the way)

You really are. Take it from experience.

What clubs are you going to, though, that you find this? Most are going to argue that the opposite is true...

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Get your self into coppers if all ya wanna listen to is top of the charts stuff, probably get your self a handy wee women easy to;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

What clubs are you talking about? I've always found it to be the exact opposite..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I'd say the opposite, most clubs play charty music. Very few clubs would play Dubstep tbh.

I'd say the opposite, most clubs play charty music. Very few clubs would play Dubstep tbh.

I find it's growing much more common in mainstream/student-type clubs. Not a full night of dubstep, but a DJ throwing in the odd remix of a chart song.

It doesn't kill the dancefloor, either, which I would have expected. But people haven't figured out how to dance to it yet at the same time. Give it a year and a dance troop on Britain's Got Talent doing a dubstep routine and that'll change.

But yeah, 95% of places the opposite is true. You have to keep in mind, though, that a DJ's definition of dance is very different from the average punters. I've been told to stop playing dance and just play chart stuff by people when playing stuff like 'Rhythm is a Dancer' (which I'd consider more pop than dance at this stage).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

The clubs I've been to include tripod, twisted pepper, the George (ok not a club but have a DJ) porterhouse (same as George) D4/krystle, and sycamore. So maybe not the right places ! But I like to hear songs I know, not nesasarilly to dance to just tap feet to. But haven't found anywhere that does retro 80's type nights that I like. Oh & I'm married so not going to coppers ! (although I know one of the DJ's I've never been there !)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The clubs I've been to include tripod, twisted pepper, the George (ok not a club but have a DJ) porterhouse (same as George) D4/krystle, and sycamore. So maybe not the right places ! But I like to hear songs I know, not nesasarilly to dance to just tap feet to. But haven't found anywhere that does retro 80's type nights that I like. Oh & I'm married so not going to coppers ! (although I know one of the DJ's I've never been there !)

I reckon its just a poor choice of clubs. From experience id say the opposite as well that most clubs do play chart/dance/pop music with the odd house or electro track thrown in the mix. I think your hearing a lot of house from the list of clubs you've been going. Places like Q-Bar, Sin, Coppers play very charty pop stuff. Most are kips of places you probably wouldn't wanna go though.

I'm partial to a bit of House/Dance/Electro/Chart/Oldies so I don't really have a problem with the music in most places. However I just haven't found my interest in Dub-step yet. I'm just not feeling it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

I was asked for a slow set recently in a nite club in limerick, not likely lad, move along.

If you're looking for a good 80's night, try Madonna's (the new Eamonn Doran's) on a Saturday. The regular DJ think he's on radio and needs to back-announce each song along with singing Happy Birthday about 400 times per night...but the tunes are good if that's what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

leggo wrote: »
    It doesn't kill the dancefloor, either, which I would have expected. But people haven't figured out how to dance to it yet at the same time. Give it a year and a dance troop on Britain's Got Talent doing a dubstep routine and that'll change.

Do people need britains got talent to show them how to dance?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

electro/house has crossed over into the mainstream. Clubs are playing chart music which is essentially cheesy house music. David Guetta etc. Add to this the popularity of 'dance' stuff like deadmau5 and I imagine the music in clubs is quite different to what it was a few years ago. However, it is still chart/pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Quiggers wrote: »
    I was asked for a slow set recently in a nite club in limerick, not likely lad, move along.

I feel sorry for the youth of today. How are they supposed to get any cheap dry-ride thrills when the DJ won't play a slow set? Consider it a public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Probably would of provoked a stabbing, well played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Years ago in the UK they used to have 'the erection selection' 15mins before closing time, that was the cue for all the guys to get a sl@pper for the ride bus home ! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

I feel sorry for the youth of today. How are they supposed to get any cheap dry-ride thrills when the DJ won't play a slow set? Consider it a public service.
    The public service i provided kept the single mom count to a minimum. Not playing a slow set is a last resort before i spike the girls drinks with the morning after pill.

Disclaimer, just like the rapey garda, i'm joking.

Advertisement