Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal transfers.

Options
  • 01-05-2011 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the story is with internal transfers? Could I transfer from Science to Arts for next year? Missed the CAO deadline and don't want to drop out either. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Does anyone know what the story is with internal transfers? Could I transfer from Science to Arts for next year? Missed the CAO deadline and don't want to drop out either. Any help appreciated.

Really the careers office should be your first port of call for any queries of this sort. Dont know if you would be able to, to be honest. Generally transfers would be to related courses eg BIS to Commerce

BTW do you intend to change your username?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

deisedude wrote: »
    Really the careers office should be your first port of call for any queries of this sort. Dont know if you would be able to, to be honest. Generally transfers would be to related courses eg BIS to Commerce

BTW do you intend to change your username?:D

If I have the points though shouldnt I be able?

and I'll consider it yes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

If I have the points though shouldnt I be able?

and I'll consider it yes :p

You're correct. Once you have the points and meet the specific course requirements (i.e. the minimum grades in your Leaving Cert. subjects) you should be able to re-apply through the CAO and gain admittance. You can bypass that if you want to transfer to cognate degrees (such as from a BA with Psych as one of your subjects to a BA in Psychology or BA Applied Psychology.) That requires the permission of the relevant heads of department and is contingent on college grades as well.

The CAO deadline back in February was not the final cut-off deadline btw. If you apply between now and June/July you'll just have to pay the late application fee.

Finally, clear up the question of de-registering from your current course of study with the Admissions Office in the West Wing, 2nd floor. They'll also be able to give you specific detail about the intricacies of transferring to a new course.

Plautus wrote: »
    You're correct. Once you have the points and meet the specific course requirements (i.e. the minimum grades in your Leaving Cert. subjects) you should be able to re-apply through the CAO and gain admittance. You can bypass that if you want to transfer to cognate degrees (such as from a BA with Psych as one of your subjects to a BA in Psychology or BA Applied Psychology.) That requires the permission of the relevant heads of department and is contingent on college grades as well.

The CAO deadline back in February was not the final cut-off deadline btw. If you apply between now and June/July you'll just have to pay the late application fee.

Finally, clear up the question of de-registering from your current course of study with the Admissions Office in the West Wing, 2nd floor. They'll also be able to give you specific detail about the intricacies of transferring to a new course.

Thanks a million. So all hope may not be lost if I fail my exams :D Lifesaver!

Thanks a million. So all hope may not be lost if I fail my exams :D Lifesaver!

Okay, whoops, just double-checked there:

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php

It seems like the late application deadline was yesterday :(

• Advertisement

Okay, whoops, just double-checked there:

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php

It seems like the late application deadline was yesterday :(

I found this...could this work??

http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=changecourses

Yes! Sorry to have worried you. That should work just fine for you as you are a first year student for the purposes of Section B on that page. You've until 22nd July.

Yes! Sorry to have worried you. That should work just fine for you as you are a first year student for the purposes of Section B on that page. You've until 22nd July.

Yea, 1st year Science student :) Thanks a million :)

Advertisement