Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Poets Rest in Slane

Options
  • 01-05-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have just opened the Poets Rest in Slane,Meath as an Argentinean steak & seafood house.

Apart from the shameless plug, I am looking for good quality suppliers of locally produced produce for the restaurant.

Can anyone please PM me with suppliers that are tried and trusted.

I have met with loads, but just want to know the best,

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

I can't help with the suppliers, but I'd just like to wish you good luck with your new venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

why argentinian , what wrong with irish beef?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think he means Argentinian style of cooking. Keep your hair on.

You can make an Indian vindaloo with irish meat for example.

I think he means Argentinian style of cooking. Keep your hair on.

You can make an Indian vindaloo with irish meat for example.
    maybe he should clarify , i know alot of people who have said the same as me

Well I somehow doubt he came onto the Louth forum to ask about sourcing beef from Argentina. Pass that on to the lot of people who have said the same as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

whelan1 wrote: »
    maybe he should clarify , i know alot of people who have said the same as me

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056255423

why post on the louth forum anyway....:rolleyes: anyone who has said anything to me has complained about it being argentinian meat

why post on the louth forum anyway....:rolleyes:

Indeed why if the only replies he gets are ones accusing him of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭broadsheet

slightly unrelated but a butcher that i have been buying from quite near here has been selling me brazilian beef for 3 years without me knowing. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Slimbo wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have just opened the Poets Rest in Slane,Meath as an Argentinean steak & seafood house.

Hi Liam,

Good luck with the restaurant. Just asking out of interest but what is it that would make Irish beef into Argentinian? Not at all having a pick at you, just genuinely curious as I've been to an Argentinian restaurant in Spain before.

ATB,

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Slimbo

Hi All,

Just to totally clarify things.
    I part-own the Buenos Aires Grill in Dublin 8.
    We have been open there for 2.5 years and thankfully we are still surviving.

I have opened a similar type Argentinean "themed" restaurant in Slane.
    In saying that, I have received a fantastic response with the locals in Slane.
    All my advertising from beginning to date has stated that we only use 100% Irish produce in our cooking, but cook in an Argentinean way.
    The theme also includes south American music, decor etc.
    The same can be said with Chinese,Indian or any other ethnic type of restaurant.

I am from a dairy farming family so know all about supporting Irish.

Where we differ with our meat is that we source the same cattle bred as in Argentina. Normally beef is hung here for 2/3 weeks tops.
    Our beef is hung and dry aged for up to 4/5 weeks depending on the volume we use.
    We cook our produce on a lava stone chargrill, and the flavour is exceptional.

Argentineans just like the Irish eat very similar types of produce, they are greatly influenced by farming also.Their staple diet is meat and fish.
    Argentina is home to the 5th largest Irish community in the world.
    1 million Irish live there. The founders of their navy and army were Irish.
    Some of the sauces they garnish their meat with were named after Irish people.
    The links are long and historic.

Have we the same links with Chinese or Indian restaurants?
    Or is that different because they don't sell steaks exactly, they just sell cut up beef.

We are just a steak & seafood house with a twist that suits the Irish palate greatly.

Lastly, thank you for those PMs and everyone else that wished us well.
    Also, apologies to those who have made up their own minds before they looked more deeply into it.

We can only but try.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

@ Slimbo ,

Have you a website ?
    A sample menu online ?

Thanks

Good luck with the restaurant :D

Slimbo wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just to totally clarify things.
    I part-own the Buenos Aires Grill in Dublin 8.
    We have been open there for 2.5 years and thankfully we are still surviving.

I have opened a similar type Argentinean "themed" restaurant in Slane.
    In saying that, I have received a fantastic response with the locals in Slane.
    All my advertising from beginning to date has stated that we only use 100% Irish produce in our cooking, but cook in an Argentinean way.
    The theme also includes south American music, decor etc.
    The same can be said with Chinese,Indian or any other ethnic type of restaurant.

I am from a dairy farming family so know all about supporting Irish.

Where we differ with our meat is that we source the same cattle bred as in Argentina. Normally beef is hung here for 2/3 weeks tops.
    Our beef is hung and dry aged for up to 4/5 weeks depending on the volume we use.
    We cook our produce on a lava stone chargrill, and the flavour is exceptional.

Argentineans just like the Irish eat very similar types of produce, they are greatly influenced by farming also.Their staple diet is meat and fish.
    Argentina is home to the 5th largest Irish community in the world.
    1 million Irish live there. The founders of their navy and army were Irish.
    Some of the sauces they garnish their meat with were named after Irish people.
    The links are long and historic.

Have we the same links with Chinese or Indian restaurants?
    Or is that different because they don't sell steaks exactly, they just sell cut up beef.

We are just a steak & seafood house with a twist that suits the Irish palate greatly.

Lastly, thank you for those PMs and everyone else that wished us well.
    Also, apologies to those who have made up their own minds before they looked more deeply into it.

We can only but try.

Good luck with the restaurant hope it works out and sorry for those who were so quick to judge and jump down your throat without waiting to hear the full facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mr. 2

Good luck with it Slimbo. I was in the Poet's Rest before it closed, it's a nice spot. Do you have a website?

Good luck with the restaurant hope it works out and sorry for those who were so quick to judge and jump down your throat without waiting to hear the full facts.
    i was asking was the beef irish what is wrong with that ? he was the one jumping down my throat... for that reason i'm out... also if the op was to go around slane there are many suppliers there he shouldnt have to come on boards to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Slimbo

Dear Mr Whelan1,

If I have offended you in any way, then I am truly sorry.
    Irish beef is reknowned to be the best in the world, I support that sentiment 100%.
    I have never tried to offend anyone, I think people were just quick to throw stones over the wall without knocking on my door first and just asking.
    I have tried the good people in Slane for produce, and have met with a really good Fruit & Veg operator through this very forum.

If you are buying a car, do you just go local or shop around as there just may be something better up the road.

If we got off on the wrong foot then I apologise again.

I am just trying to get the best for the restaurant in all respects, produce, quality and cost.

I am also trying very hard to open and run a successful business in the area, and have been very well received locally.

It is support I am looking for, definitely not trying to get anyone worked up over absolutely nothing.

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

why post on the louth forum anyway....:rolleyes: anyone who has said anything to me has complained about it being argentinian meat
    I genuinely lol'd. Do you think KFC actually source all their chicken from Kentucky too? Must all be a bit slow over in Slane if there are that many people complaining to you.

At least you know now and you can tell all those misinformed folk that a "Mexican Bar & Grill" actually serve Mexican STYLE dishes, not Mexican sourced ingredients! Chinese... Indian... Thai...

By the way... Donegal Catch. It's not caught in Donegal either (just incase you thought it is).

i was asking was the beef irish what is wrong with that ? he was the one jumping down my throat... for that reason i'm out... also if the op was to go around slane there are many suppliers there he shouldnt have to come on boards to ask

God imagine the cheek of someone coming on boards looking for local suppliers what next !

God imagine the cheek of someone coming on boards looking for local suppliers what next !
    i asked was the beef he was using irish , i apologise for being a total thicko , i also apologise for all the people who also where wondering was the beef irish.... i have never been to an argentienian restaurant so that is why i asked

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

why post on the louth forum anyway....:rolleyes:
    Maybe because some people are willing to travel more than 10k for a meal and don't see county boundaries as any sort of obstruction to their social life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

iv had the pleasure of eating in your establishment last sunday. the food is amazing and the staff are so friendly and make you feel at home. i will be back many times over. you have every right to advertise and plug your business wherever you want and some people should cop on to themselves. lads all he asked was for some information. if you dont have any then p**s off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Slimbo,

All the very best of luck with the project - hope it goes really well. It's a hard time to do business, but there has been success stories especially in the hospitality sector (ESB in Drogheda for instance). Hope you will come back and update everyone on your success now and again.

regards,
    Positron.

Advertisement