Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Secondary Teaching Jobs in 5 Years?

Options
  • 01-05-2011 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Just looking for a few opinions. I'm looking at Arts in Mary I, a degree in English and Geography. If I'll be coming out of Mary I in 5 or so years, what will it be like for new teachers getting work?
    Not an easy question with an obvious answer, but what do ye think?
    Thanks,
    13spanner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

you're chances are just as good as anyone else's these days (unless you know a principal;) , maybe keep in touch with your secondary school and make sure to let them know your intentions, I think schools generally try and look out for their own if they can

, also look to learn a niche skill like Sign Language/TEFL/ IT skills/First Aid/Lifesaving .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Irish all the way, I don't know any unemployed Irish teachers, just my opinion and experience but it's done well by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Just be aware that the hardest subjects to get teachiong jobs in are English, Geography and History.....there are more people looking for jobs in these areas than any other subject areas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

English & Geography are difficult to get jobs in......try adding Irish to that as someone else said.

Or Maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Irish all the way, I don't know any unemployed Irish teachers, just my opinion and experience but it's done well by me.
    What would you think of doing Irish in Mary I so I'll be more likely to get a job closer to home and quicker after qualifying? Would it be worth it? I'm better than average at Irish (B1 standard give or take). I'd definately consider it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I recommend Irish in Mary I. Don't narrow yourself to English/Geography with it either, there are other 2ndary level subjects as well. I've read here that Irish and French is a good combination, but that's a big jump away from the two subjects you originally posted.

Advertisement