Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should religion enter the philosophical realm?

Options
  • 01-05-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

As philosophy can deal (though not exclusively) with our beginings, how we should live and how we interact with the universe. Should religion enter the "debate" with thier perspective, how do you think this would affect religion, could it create new religions e.t.c??

Can set religions be debated at a philosophical level (the changes in the catholic religion over years show that they can shift somewhat).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I think they most certainly can. Philosophy, as a discipline that prizes reason, can be applied to pretty much anything.

You have people in history, like Augustine or Aquinas (I'm quite ignorant of this whole history), who applied philosophy to religion and who subsequently changed huge parts of religious doctrine based on their enquiries.

I have not been in contact with much of this stuff. I think that modern athesim draws a lot from the debate between the two sides, i.e. believers and non-believers.

What precisely were you thinking about? It is a huge field. Any ideas yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Boroimhe

Little things like why does Jesus need to be in place of the sun, why does our "messiah" need to be devine. Could there be some sort of "after life", why do people need to believe in some sort of cosmic justice meter e.t.c

Most of what I understand of religion was not really based on philosophy but rather on down to earth base reasons, for instance slavery is wrong and hence "Jesus" said that we are all spiritual equals. Newly formed Islam was under attack and hence Mohammad said that it was ok by god to defend ones home e.t.c

What really interests me about religions (especially) abrahamic religions is the whole celestial (zodiac) appeal that seems to attract people and hold them tightly for generations, for instance the Egyptian religion (another religion based on the movement of the stars) lasted far longer than any religion I know of but it died off quite easliy (why).

Is it the principles upon which the religion is founded that makes it attractive, a need to fit in or is it (like philosophy) a need to understand our surroundings better (or all of the above maybe)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Philosophy is about questioning mankinds relationship to all things. It is about putting everything under scrutiny and assessing it for what it really is. Essentially this is why we have the philosophy of religion so that people can put the claims about God's existence or indeed his non-existence under scrutiny and come to conclusions concerning them and the implications involved in how they think.

The claim that philosophy should somehow ignore the existence of God is really absurd. If you look through philosophy from the beginnings with those people such as Thales, Anixamander, and Anixamenes to the present, you will find that the vast majority of philosophers have believed in a God or gods. That's simply the reality. Whether this was the philosophers God, the God of formal theism, a deism or something else is wholly irrelevant. The question of whether or not there is something beyond ourselves is far too important to ignore.

If philosophy decided not to discuss this then it wouldn't be philosophy anymore IMO.

The question is more about the religions entering the debate with their point of view and beliefs not philosophy scrutinising them because that will happen regardless of thier inclinations.

Very well put though
    Jakkass wrote: »
    Philosophy is about questioning mankinds relationship to all things. It is about putting everything under scrutiny and assessing it for what it really is. Essentially this is why we have the philosophy of religion so that people can put the claims about God's existence or indeed his non-existence under scrutiny and come to conclusions concerning them and the implications involved in how they think.

The claim that philosophy should somehow ignore the existence of God is really absurd. If you look through philosophy from the beginnings with those people such as Thales, Anixamander, and Anixamenes to the present, you will find that the vast majority of philosophers have believed in a God or gods. That's simply the reality. Whether this was the philosophers God, the God of formal theism, a deism or something else is wholly irrelevant. The question of whether or not there is something beyond ourselves is far too important to ignore.

If philosophy decided not to discuss this then it wouldn't be philosophy anymore IMO.

Boroimhe wrote: »
    The question is more about the religions entering the debate with their point of view and beliefs not philosophy scrutinising them because that will happen regardless of thier inclinations.

I don't see what is the problem in philosophising according to ones religious beliefs if it is exposed to the scrutiny of others. Philosophy isn't an activity undertaken by a single person but rather it is a collective discussion. I wouldn't dare to suggest that Catholic, Islamic and Jewish philosophy isn't philosophy because it comes from a theistic point of view. Indeed I wouldn't suggest that Friedrich Nietzsche's philosophy isn't good philosophy even if I disagree with it.

Philosophy is about exposing yourself to new forms of thought even those you profoundly disagree with. To claim that philosophy from a theistic take, or a take influenced by religion isn't philosophy simply isn't in keeping with the history of philosophy.

Unless we are to take the route of Wittgenstein and say that every metaphysical topic (including religion I guess although it can be argued that theistic claims aren't metaphysics) shouldn't be discussed.

• Advertisement

The problem arises when the believers of the faith don't agree with the religion being scrutinized and as such my question is wether or not the religions themselves could enter an open debate on the matter and how this would affect the basic principles of the religion.

Could there be a Schizm, are the main religions of t0day debatable and so forth. I hear what your saying and absolutely agree with your points that religion SHOULD be a part of philosophy becuase it basically is philosophy and that everything is debatable within philosophy but would the faiths allow such open discussions or condemn them e.t.c

I don't see what is the problem in philosophising according to ones religious beliefs if it is exposed to the scrutiny of others. Philosophy isn't an activity undertaken by a single person but rather it is a collective discussion. I wouldn't dare to suggest that Catholic, Islamic and Jewish philosophy isn't philosophy because it comes from a theistic point of view. Indeed I wouldn't suggest that Friedrich Nietzsche's philosophy isn't good philosophy even if I disagree with it.

Philosophy is about exposing yourself to new forms of thought even those you profoundly disagree with. To claim that philosophy from a theistic take, or a take influenced by religion isn't philosophy simply isn't in keeping with the history of philosophy.

Unless we are to take the route of Wittgenstein and say that every metaphysical topic (including religion I guess although it can be argued that theistic claims aren't metaphysics) shouldn't be discussed.

The problem arises when the believers of the faith don't agree with the religion being scrutinized and as such my question is wether or not the religions themselves could enter an open debate on the matter and how this would affect the basic principles of the religion.

There is a distinction between a religion and the individuals who defend or promote that religion. Often people will have religious beliefs because they identify with them through tradition, they may feel that it makes them who they are, and that without it they would be missing something.
    Yet others will promote on the basis of some agenda and others believe because of some subconscious need to make sense of things.
    Some people just don't want to debate at all.

These people aside, I think there are many people willing to engage in debates relating to religion.

Topics relating to faith here: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/faith/

I don't think we have reached a point yet where philosophical debate on a certain topic has been condemned. The debate may not hold much sway in the public at large, but that is a seperate issue.

Thank you for the link ;) some interesting stuff on the face of it (I'll have a closer look after I reply)

You asked me earlier if I have any ideas myself and I was thinking about it, the main thing I would like to understand is why the movement of the stars? I understand the common sense reasons like light and dark e.t.c.

But why is that particular attribute so important, why do we spiritualize the universe around us and how does it make some people feel content or fulfilled?
    18AD wrote: »
    There is a distinction between a religion and the individuals who defend or promote that religion. Often people will have religious beliefs because they identify with them through tradition, they may feel that it makes them who they are, and that without it they would be missing something.
    Yet others will promote on the basis of some agenda and others believe because of some subconscious need to make sense of things.
    Some people just don't want to debate at all.

These people aside, I think there are many people willing to engage in debates relating to religion.

Topics relating to faith here: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/faith/

I don't think we have reached a point yet where philosophical debate on a certain topic has been condemned. The debate may not hold much sway in the public at large, but that is a seperate issue.

If people who believe in a religion have issue with how others are scrutinising their faith, what is the way to handle this philosophically? Isn't it to present a counter-argument.

Just because someone presents a criticism doesn't mean that their opinion cannot also be legitimately criticised in response.
    Could there be a Schizm, are the main religions of t0day debatable and so forth. I hear what your saying and absolutely agree with your points that religion SHOULD be a part of philosophy becuase it basically is philosophy and that everything is debatable within philosophy but would the faiths allow such open discussions or condemn them e.t.c

This point is surely dated within philosophical discourse. People can't avoid debate any more in 21st century society. Just before the Renaissance in the universities and schools of philosophy there was a clear restriction in what could be discussed and indeed what could be used of the Aristotelian corpus in the fear that it would disagree with the Christian faith. This is what led to Renaissance humanists many of whom were Christians (humanist in the modern sense is a strawman of what Renaissance humanism was - scholars like Jacob Burckhardt assumed that the humanists were arguing for secularisation, but in reality they were simply arguing against the former scholastic philosophy sometimes with Christian motives for doing so) to challenge the scholastic order of philosophy.

This debate has happened in the Renaissance and in Modern Philosophy. The philosophical grounds are open. You take your place, expect criticism and indeed to defend your arguments on philosophical grounds. As I have said already, the vast majority of philosophy has been written by believers in some form of God.

Point very well taken, thank you.

If people who believe in a religion have issue with how others are scrutinising their faith, what is the way to handle this philosophically? Isn't it to present a counter-argument.

Just because someone presents a criticism doesn't mean that their opinion cannot also be legitimately criticised in response.

This point is surely dated within philosophical discourse. People can't avoid debate any more in 21st century society. Just before the Renaissance in the universities and schools of philosophy there was a clear restriction in what could be discussed and indeed what could be used of the Aristotelian corpus in the fear that it would disagree with the Christian faith. This is what led to Renaissance humanists many of whom were Christians (humanist in the modern sense is a strawman of what Renaissance humanism was - scholars like Jacob Burckhardt assumed that the humanists were arguing for secularisation, but in reality they were simply arguing against the former scholastic philosophy sometimes with Christian motives for doing so) to challenge the scholastic order of philosophy.

This debate has happened in the Renaissance and in Modern Philosophy. The philosophical grounds are open. You take your place, expect criticism and indeed to defend your arguments on philosophical grounds. As I have said already, the vast majority of philosophy has been written by believers in some form of God.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the link ;) some interesting stuff on the face of it (I'll have a closer look after I reply)

You asked me earlier if I have any ideas myself and I was thinking about it, the main thing I would like to understand is why the movement of the stars? I understand the common sense reasons like light and dark e.t.c.

But why is that particular attribute so important, why do we spiritualize the universe around us and how does it make some people feel content or fulfilled?

It's funny though that even today, in science, we are fascinated by the stars. It is also a strong component of science to harbour an almost "spiritual" awe at the complexities of the universe. It is as if they are allowing for the religious feelings yet denying any metaphysical claims that one may make in relation to those feelings.

I think an important factor is the feeling of connection to the world. We feel disconnected from it as our bodies are detached. We feel ourselves to be seperate as can be exemplified by the solipsism and philsophy of Descartes or the 'brain in the vat' style thinking.

I think that it is likely that many of peoples psychological needs were much the same as they are in people today, the only difference now is that our situation has changed, through scientific advancement among other things.

Or you could go with Freud's interpretation that the feeling of connection is actually a repressed trauma of the feeling of wanting to be protected by a parent. So we think there is a connecting spirit throughout all of matter, the traditional 'one with everything' kinda thing.
    See: Civilization and its Discontents by Freud.

Another idea is that from very early on the goal has always been one of trying to control the forces outside ourself. To understand the universe is to be able to protect oneself from it. If you can predict the future, through astrology, or apease the universal spirit, through sacrifice, it would give you a better chance of survival. This is a strand that has persisted up to the modern age, although it has changed form dramatically.
    See: The Dialectic of Enlightenment by Adorno & Horkheimer.

It's funny though that even today, in science, we are fascinated by the stars. It is also a strong component of science to harbour an almost "spiritual" awe at the complexities of the universe. It is as if they are allowing for the religious feelings yet denying any metaphysical claims that one may make in relation to those feelings.
    I've often gotten that opinion when watching some documentaries or reading some books, though I guess one can't help but have a sense of awe when considering the universe let alone contemplating it
    I think an important factor is the feeling of connection to the world. We feel disconnected from it as our bodies are detached. We feel ourselves to be seperate as can be exemplified by the solipsism and philsophy of Descartes or the 'brain in the vat' style thinking.
    Thats one of the theories I was going with, the whole one-ness concept, the lack of unity with all things makes us look up and create an explanation which says we are all one and from the same place
    I think that it is likely that many of peoples psychological needs were much the same as they are in people today, the only difference now is that our situation has changed, through scientific advancement among other things.
    Here is the part that confuses me with past stories and so on, the ancient Sumerians (forgive me if my spelling is incorrect there) understood astronomy, they knew what the planets were and where they were placed throughout the solar system and yet they too created a story (though they chose aliens). Why if they understood did they feel the need to create a story? (don't mean to insult any ancient astronaut theorists in the audience, its an interesting concept)

Here is the part that confuses me with past stories and so on, the ancient Sumerians (forgive me if my spelling is incorrect there) understood astronomy, they knew what the planets were and where they were placed throughout the solar system and yet they too created a story (though they chose aliens). Why if they understood did they feel the need to create a story? (don't mean to insult any ancient astronaut theorists in the audience, its an interesting concept)

We too have our stories of bing-bangs and things like that. The only difference is that our "story" is backed up by some amounts of evidence. The human need to have a story is satisfied no matter what the specifics of the story are. Unless you're a sceptic with these things.

You can make an interesting inversion here with stories and the more modern scientific theories. The thing about stories is that they express human values and ideas. There is something alive about a story that is totally lost in the scientific explanation of the universe. Art is something that is truer for us and in us. To this end you can say that the real source of truth, for us, is in stories rather than in objective descriptions of the universe.

You can say that science has discovered objective truths about the universe, but without people what use is truth? Is truth something that we want to know about regardless of our own existence? Even though our own existence is what drives us towards truth in the first place?

I think Nietzsche, among others held that Art was superior to truth.

The thing is then, that back then the lines between the two were blurred. The same way that astronomy and astrology or alchemy and chemistry were part of the same field of enquiry.

This is more a wild flight of imagination, with a vague basis in various philosophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

As philosophy can deal (though not exclusively) with our beginings, how we should live and how we interact with the universe. Should religion enter the "debate" with thier perspective, how do you think this would affect religion, could it create new religions e.t.c??

Can set religions be debated at a philosophical level (the changes in the catholic religion over years show that they can shift somewhat).
    In my views religions are based on philosophical principles things like that but most of cannot be understood by philosophers for they don't believe in it at all. Since it is very much based upon true principles of how a ideal social life should be like it tend to mend or change according to social climates and conditions to suit the well being of society for which it is made for in the first place.

What really interests me about religions (especially) abrahamic religions is the whole celestial (zodiac) appeal that seems to attract people and hold them tightly for generations, for instance the Egyptian religion (another religion based on the movement of the stars) lasted far longer than any religion I know of but it died off quite easliy (why).

Is it the principles upon which the religion is founded that makes it attractive, a need to fit in or is it (like philosophy) a need to understand our surroundings better (or all of the above maybe)?

To me it looks the principles upon which a religion is founded makes it attractive(look from the eyes of new joiners to it) and the mix of need to get our surroundings better for it leaves more light on certain things when we start following a set of principles that are enshrined in a religion.

meryem wrote: »
    In my views religions are based on philosophical principles things like that but most of cannot be understood by philosophers for they don't believe in it at all.

Most notable philosophers have believed in some form of God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

philologos wrote: »
    Most notable philosophers have believed in some form of God.
    Most? According to whom?

Further, why make this simple, and almost all-inclusive statement? Why is this important to our discussion of the philosophy of religion?

If it is important, why not discuss why, citing philosophers that have suggested this, along with the implications of such a claim? Furthermore, to promote a balanced philosophical discussion of this claim, should "notable philosophers" that do not believe "in some form of God" also be included, comparing and contrasting their philosophical positions?

It's rather simple. List all the major philosophers from Thales to the present day. How many of them believed in some form of God and how many didn't.

It's important to the discussion because some people have attempted to argue that religion can't enter philosophical discourse. People are quite capable of philosophising with belief or no-belief. Sometimes their beliefs can have a huge impact in forming what conclusions they come to.

Peoples religious beliefs have at times been key in forming a philosophy. Indeed, some peoples atheistic ideas have been a formation of their philosophy (Nietzsche and Heidegger for example).

Even if there are conclusions based on religious belief these beliefs are not justifications in themselves. These ideas are converted into philosophical or secular language (depending on purpose) so that they may be put under the scrutiny of reason.

Nietzsche had very good reasons not to believe on God. His atheism was the result of his philosophy not the other way around. Although this conclusion did then shape his thought.

Even if there are conclusions based on religious belief these beliefs are not justifications in themselves. These ideas are converted into philosophical or secular language (depending on purpose) so that they may be put under the scrutiny of reason.

They aren't reasons in and of themselves, but they are not always secularised. One need only look to Medieval and some Renaissance philosophy to suggest that this is the case. Indeed, much Enlightenment philosophy (Descartes & George Berkeley, later Immanuel Kant) still include the concept of God. One can still express a rational argument without throwing the idea of God out of the window.
    Nietzsche had very good reasons not to believe on God. His atheism was the result of his philosophy not the other way around. Although this conclusion did then shape his thought.

I don't know entirely if that is true. He has some good philosophy, but I don't think they are very good reasons to disregard God's existence. I'm clearly biased though.

Your post seems to focus exclusively on the 19th-20th century period in philosophy rather than what comes before then in the majority of philosophy. Indeed, even post-20th century there is still a lot of philosophy from a theistic perspective.

Of course there is lots of philosophy based around this topic, I am not denying that. And there is lots of philosophy that appears to have extreme biases based on these beliefs.

I am just saying that themethod of philosophy is to give reasons and justifications for certain things. If you cannot present a good enough reason to believe in God then your position will be deemed either outside of the realm of philosophy or completely irrational.

I am not even condemning people for having beliefs if they are not based on good reasons, I am just saying that this type of approach is not what philosophy is about.

I was reading Habermas recently. He has had various views on this, so I'll stick to this one.
    It is that religious beliefs and talk of religious things is outside the scope of modern secular politics. It is up to the religious person to put into secular terms what they are trying to get across in order to be able to engage in political discourse. This is due to the highly specific language used in religious discusion, in that it privileges people within that specific belief system.

• Advertisement

I am just saying that themethod of philosophy is to give reasons and justifications for certain things. If you cannot present a good enough reason to believe in God then your position will be deemed either outside of the realm of philosophy or completely irrational.

Philosophers present reasons why they use God in their philosophy. Indeed that was pretty much central in Medieval philosophy and what is dealt with in the philosophy of religion as a strand of philosophy.

I believe in God precisely because I believe there is good enough reason to. I would personally consider I believe in God to be synonymous with I believe that there is good enough reason to believe in God.

All one needs to do to get a feel for the arguments made in the philosophy of religion is to pick up a good enough primer such as Brian Davies' Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion, or Philosophy of Religion: A Guide and Anthology both from Oxford University Press I believe.

I would even say that many Ancient Greek philosophers present valid arguments in respect to the concept of God.
    I was reading Habermas recently. He has had various views on this, so I'll stick to this one.
    It is that religious beliefs and talk of religious things is outside the scope of modern secular politics. It is up to the religious person to put into secular terms what they are trying to get across in order to be able to engage in political discourse. This is due to the highly specific language used in religious discusion, in that it privileges people within that specific belief system.

Habermas is interesting. His idea of discourse ethics to somehow establish a universal morality seems flawed to me though.

I believe in God precisely because I believe there is good enough reason to. I would personally consider I believe in God to be synonymous with I believe that there is good enough reason to believe in God.

That's fine. I'm just weary of belief being used as a justification for certain arguements or where faith is used, in its sense of not being something open to rational scrutiny.

I got the impression with many of the Medievals that their philosophy was a desperate attempt to save the concept of God. The reasoning itself is biased before it even begins. They started with a conclusion and worked towards it. Which amounts to saying, "How do I prove I'm right?"

That's fine too. It's just something that didn't appeal to me very much :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It's rather simple. List all the major philosophers from Thales to the present day. How many of them believed in some form of God and how many didn't.

"It's [NOT] rather simple." Such a "simple" listing is problematic, in that their philosophical orientations are not "simple," but tending to be complex.

Further, many philosophers change or refine their positions over time. For example, students of Max Weber note the "early Weber" in his Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, and the "later Weber" in his Economy and Society. As pertains to religion, the early Weber saw religion as the driving force behind capitalism, whereas in later Weber the influence of religion greatly declined and was of small import, sometimes insignificant to Weber's "iron cage," "shell of bondage," and march of rationalisation. Some contend that the early Weber was a theist, while the later Weber was either agnostic or atheist. Weber was not "rather simple."

The prevailing philosophical period may influence how a philosophy and its philosopher are viewed. Where would you place David Hume on your "rather simple" list? The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy suggests in the article "Hume on Religion" that Hume's contemporaries would place him clearly on the atheist list, whereas today's philosophers and scholarly reviewers may see such a "simple" listing as a subject of much debate, with some listing him as agnostic.
    Black Swan wrote: »
    According to whom?
    Is it safe to assume that theists, agnostics, and atheists (between and within their groups) may generate different "rather simple" listings that may be statistically different at the p<.05 level? Now, what if we add their philosophical period preference (classical, modern, postmodern, etc.) into the test of significant differences? How about other variables that may affect this listing of philosophers (e.g., Western, Middle Eastern, etc., philosophies)?

"It's [NOT] rather simple."

Source: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/hume-religion/#10

I never said that no philosopher was. I have no doubt that both Weber and Hume were atheists. They are just in a minority. For every atheist philosopher there is there are dozens of theistic philosophers.

Thales, Anixamander, Anixemenes, Democritus, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, Aquinas, Dun Scotus, Pseudo-Dionysius, Moses Maimonides, Al Ghazali, Ibn Rushd (Averroes), Ibn Sina (Avicenna), Nicholas of Cusa, Descartes, Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, Immanuel Kant, George Berkeley, Friedrich Schleiermacher, Hegel, Kierkegaard, Alastair McIntyre, Alvin Platinga, James Sadowsky, William Lane Craig as a small selection. There are dozens more that I have left out due to my pesky memory. Most Renaissance philosophers were Christians. I'd take a stab at saying that even the vast majority of Enlightenment philosophers believed in God. The vast majority of Ancient Greek philosophers believed in God, and I'd say that if there is not a majority of theistic philosophers in the current age it is probably about half.

Actually even if I look to critics such as Voltaire or Spinoza, even they believed in a deistic God even if not the formal God of Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I think there was always a huge amount of people who disbelieved in and mocked the gods. Cicero to some extent accuses the Epicureans of this.
    And if we look at the medieval and renaissance period, Petrarch has this to say about the medieval followers of the pagan philosopher Aristotle, (whom he claims are in the majority) whose works had lead many followers to deny the creation of the world by God and the immortality of the soul, two very important Christian doctrines.

'And if they didn't fear human rather than divine punishment,
    they would not hesitate to attack not only the structure of the
    world set forth in Plato's Timaeus, but the book of Genesis written
    by Moses, the Catholic faith, and all the sacred and saving
    teaching of Christ that flows with the honey of celestial dew. But
    when there is no threat of punishment, and there are no witnesses,
    they attack the truth and piety, and in their private dens they secretly
    mock Christ. They worship Aristotle, whom they don't understand;
    and they accuse me for not bending my knee before him,
    ascribing to ignorance what stems from my faith.
    While fearing to blame faith itself, they persecute those who
    pursue the faith, calling them dull and ignorant...........'

http://books.google.ie/books?id=jdqAkSHpz4wC&pg=PA151&dq=petrarca+ignorance+dens&hl=en&ei=--rUTZ_dE8yIhQepjqXiCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

There were philosophers such as Pomponazzi who were outwardly Christian but later '"free thinkers" regarded Pomponazzi as one of their own, portraying him as an atheist'
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pomponazzi/#Immortality

It seems to me then, that if you look at the historical context of the medieval period and at the fact that one could be burned for heresy and also at the 1277 condemnations etc.. which limited what philosophers could say, there was quite a lot of scepticism about the major claims of Christian doctrine and if we can believe Petrarch, even mockery of Christianity and the belief that those who believed in Christianity were 'dull and ignorant'.

Petrarcha wasn't an atheist. He was a Renaissance humanist criticising the use of Aristotle in Scholastic philosophy and the restrictions placed on it by the theology faculties at the universities. He actually argued that Plato was more in keeping with Christianity and as a result should be used rather than Aristotle.

Is this biography not, strictly speaking, frowned upon in philosophy? Of course peoples beliefs will influence their philosophy, but so does everything else in one's life. To begin to probe these things isn't pertinent to philosophy at all. Unless we are addressing that as a philsophical issue. Even arguments for or against God are to be viewed as distinct from whether a person believes or not. Theoretically (or maybe even in practice) an atheist could come up with a great argument for God.

What is the relevance of the majority/minority distinction? Except to show that a lot of philosophers have been influenced by their belief.

Is this biography not, strictly speaking, frowned upon in philosophy?

Not from what I can tell. I'm currently studying Friedrich Schleiermacher's Hermeneutical philosophy, and he would say that understanding a philosophers life and context is a key instrument in understanding what they write, along with the grammatical / linguistic structures of course. Knowing stuff about what each person held to and what each person's background was is key in understanding their philosophy.

Of course much analytic philosophy would look down on this approach and say that all philosophy should be merely compared without bringing such factors in. I would probably be much more systematic in terms of philosophy. I believe context is really important.

That's not to say that understanding their life leads to strengthening their philosophy however.

• Advertisement

That's not to say that understanding their life leads to strengthening their philosophy however.

Nobody has said this or has implied this. I think atheistic philosophy is ultimately weaker personally, but I can still appreciate a lot of it to a degree.

Understanding the life of philosophers -> better understanding of what those philosophers wrote in that life.

Advertisement