Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law and French Law

Options
  • 01-05-2011 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I'm a Leaving Cert student hoping to do Law and French Law in UCD next year, points depending.
    I was wondering if anyone knows what the course entails in relation to the French aspect of it, and would it be worthwhile to take a gap year in France to improve my French before I begin this course?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Speaking from experience :

The first semester of the 1st year is gonna be tough. It's a new language, new system and it's kinda hard to understand at first but even French people stuggle with the course at first. The good side is that the lecturer is a really good one, she'll make full and detailed handouts so if you can't write all the notes down during class, you can always rely on the handouts.

The second semester of the 1st year is a bit different because the lecturer doesn't put any handouts at all, but the language is more simple and it's less law driven, you just kinda need to learn off. Plus, the lecturer is easy on the grades.

The second year in general might be easier because you already have the basics and the law is pretty easier, just learn your course, it'll be plenty sufficient.

When it comes to grading :

- During the two years, your final exam of each semester will only count for 50% because you will get a 50% weight presentation in each semester for the two years.
    - Lecturers don't grade you French level. Unless you can't even write a sentence with 3 words, they won't grade your French but only your knowledge and understanding of the course.

Hence, I don't think that taking a gap year to go to France to work or whatever you're planning on doing, is going to be helpful because you'll learn conversational French and not really Law vocabulary and these are two different worlds. But I think that if you can get in, you'll deffo be able to catch the train at some point.

You'll get automatic French grammar courses anyways so..

Advertisement