Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDOS Attacks and Irish law against them

Options
  • 01-05-2011 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

What does the Irish law in IT.. think of DDOS attacks and what could happen to a person that does them ?

have we updated our laws against it, our is it if you have being attacked by it then you should have a better System in place ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

We dont need more laws, what we need is an informed judiciary.

It is against the law to steal. There aren't separate laws for sheep and cars, so why should there be separate laws for different types of computer misuse/abuse?

By all means update the law so that knowingly causing harm to another persons computer carries an offence and leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

What the hell is up your h***e ?

their is no info in Dos Attack and what could be done to people who carry them out, your Dos attacks dont harm peoples computers, they just keep flooding a Web Server, so the web server doesnt know what packets are real or not, so it drops them all

Cork24 wrote: »
    What the hell is up your h***e ?

Is that directed at me?

You asked a question, and I gave my opinions, what is the big deal, and why the vulgarity?

DOS may not physically harm computers but while they may be directed at a certain target, they can affect individual users in a myriad of other ways.

Edit Quoted wrong piece of text.
    their is no info in Dos Attack and what could be done to people who carry them out, your Dos attacks dont harm peoples computers, they just keep flooding a Web Server, so the web server doesnt know what packets are real or not, so it drops them all

Also, can you rephrase this, because I dont really understand what you are trying to say.

syklops wrote: »
    Is that directed at me?

You asked a question, and I gave my opinions, what is the big deal, and why the vulgarity?

Also, can you rephrase this, because I dont really understand what you are trying to say.

DOS may not physically harm computers but while they may be directed at a certain target, they can affect individual users in a myriad of other ways.

Where in Gods name did i Say THAT >??

This is what i posted "Their is no info in Dos Attack and what could be done to people who carry them out, your Dos attacks dont harm peoples computers, they just keep flooding a Web Server, so the web server doesnt know what packets are real or not, so it drops them all"

So Please do not Try and Quote something i did not Say and try and pass it off... As Something i said....

Now That said..... vulgarity? you came on Here and attacked, me by saying

" We dont need more laws, what we need is an informed judiciary.

It is against the law to steal. There aren't separate laws for sheep and cars, so why should there be separate laws for different types of computer misuse/abuse?

By all means update the law so that knowingly causing harm to another persons computer carries an offence and leave it at that."

I dont care if you have a problem with Irish Laws were the Internet comes from... I asked a Question about DDOS and Irish Law against an attack... DDOS is not Hacking into Someones Computer....

i'm trying to Write a Report on Internet Crime in Ireland and its laws... if you want to know why i'm asking...

SO how is your last post going to help me,,, if i want someone to rant and rave I'll ask the Old Man Next door about his Gas Bills.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Keep it civil lads :)

As a DoS would render a service down during the duration, I'd imagine a company could sue for losses incurred as a result of the attack.

Bombarding a server with packets with intent of overloading it's capacity isn't the only form of DoS btw.

• Advertisement

i know flood attack is not the own form,,

what about jail time etc.

I can't really find any... I think i should just change my report to hacking in general

Now That said..... vulgarity? you came on Here and attacked, me by saying

How did my post attack you? I am sorry if you took offence I did not mean to cause any.

The subject of DoS is really quite complex and is not specifically covered in the law.

What is the report for? Maybe we could advise a better topic that would be relevant?

Network Security..

in College

Well that should be easy enough. How long does it need to be?

How about encryption? Its something we all use everyday but few people understand how it all works. There is a mountain of data on it on the web.

You could start off talking about Julius Caesar and the Caesar Cipher, discussing the slow evolution of ciphers, up to enigma in the forties, and how the desperate attempts at breaking it led to the invention of the computer. Throw in a bit about the Navajo indians code talkers who were used by the Americans during WWII to confound Axis cryptographers, and then move to modern cryptography with a discussion of PGP, SSL and AES. End by looking to the future with elliptical curve cryptography and Quantum Cryptography.

There is enough there for it to be a really interesting read, and should be a bit different to what your classmates will come up with, which will hopefully make it stand out more and get you a few extra points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The problem there is what is "computer misuse/abuse".
    What about the very badly designed CAO webpage / infrastructure mean that thousands of students hitting " F5 " where able to take the site offline.
    So should all of them be charged with a DDOS attack or was is CAO's fault?

If I throw a iMac off the top of a building to see if it will bounce is that computer abuse?

syklops wrote: »
    We dont need more laws, what we need is an informed judiciary.

By all means update the law so that knowingly causing harm to another persons computer carries an offence and leave it at that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement