Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help for a vet on Sunday

Options
  • 01-05-2011 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Why is there no vets open on Sundays?! My cat has developed facial swelling today which is hot to the touch and she has a fever, I really need to bring her to a vet tomorrow as I have college exams all week but I cannot find ANY in my area that are open on Sundays! I dont think this would qualify as an emergency either, my vet does offer a 24 hour emergency service but I'm afraid they might find this trivial... I am in the Clare/Limerick area, if anyone knows of any vets who are open on Sunday could you please let me know? I know its 4 in the morning so people probably wont see this, but worth a shot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Why is there no vets open on Sundays?! My cat has developed facial swelling today which is hot to the touch and she has a fever, I really need to bring her to a vet tomorrow as I have college exams all week but I cannot find ANY in my area that are open on Sundays! I dont think this would qualify as an emergency either, my vet does offer a 24 hour emergency service but I'm afraid they might find this trivial... I am in the Clare/Limerick area, if anyone knows of any vets who are open on Sunday could you please let me know? I know its 4 in the morning so people probably wont see this, but worth a shot!

If its hot to touch i'd say its an emergency! They're the pro's.. I'd ring them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

A sudden swelling which is hot to the touch would count as an emergency to me I'm afraid, if that was my cat I'd want it sorted immediately, it sounds like an infection of some sort at the least so should be treated as soon as possible.

On Good Friday our cat was squinting and looked like he had something stuck on the surface of his eye, he is a cat that withdraws very seriously when he feels ill and he was still lepping around the place in great form but we were worried (in case his vision was at risk) so we called emergency vet, who was more than happy to see him. Turned out he had "just" scratched his cornea on a branch or something when he escaped the previous day, vet wasn't overly worried and just gave him eye drops. If you're worried then it's not trivial, best to get her checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Please contact the vet asap, a fever and swelling that is hot is not good and your cat needs to be seen by a vet. Even if it turns out to be something minor you will be happy you got it sorted and your cat will be more comfortable, and if it is something serious ringing the emergency vet is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

And tomorrow is a bank holiday so you wont get a vet open either, ring the emergency one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sounds like she's been bitten. That's gonna be horribly painful and if you wait, the abscess will burst.

All the city vets are on call over the weekend. If you ring Crescent Vets or City Vet or John O' Dwyer, you'll get an answering machine message with the mobile number of the vet on call.

There is a surcharge - I think it is about €60, but I wouldn't be waiting until Tuesday as your cat is in pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Got her looked at sunday afternoon in treaty vets, turned out to be an abcess. They kept her for about an hour, put her under GA and lanced it. Cost 110 but well worth it to see her not in pain anymore :) now she insists on rubbing the wound on EVERYTHING! It has to be kept open to let pus drain - she's certainly doing that job well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Fantastic, delighted you were able to find her the help she needed, would have become a bigger and bigger abscess otherwise - and even more painful!

Get well soon kitty :)

Advertisement