Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Rod and Reel

Options
  • 30-04-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all, hope this hasnt been asked before, took the young lad lake fishing last year and had a ball, this year he wants to go mackeral fishing, I am located in Cork, question I have is..

What would be the best rod and reel for him and myself? we will be casting from bridge, pier, rocks, boat etc, by the way, he is 6yrs so dont think a big 12 footer will be the best for him, or myself for that matter :)
    Looking for something that is hard wearing and wont break too easily, know of murrays in cork, but as always looking for the best deals around

Thanks in advance.

medicman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Tackle for the mackerel can be light enough. Your average 8/9 foot spinning rod a decent spinning reel 20 lb line set of feathers and a weight that will give u a decent cast, about 3oz should do the job. Mackerel fishing is one of the less technically demanding forms of fishing so that should do the job. I wouldn't go spending hundreds by any means!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

personally I would use a 12ft 2 piece carp/pike rod, any one would do for mackerel.

but a 10ft would be fine too, I wouldn't go lower as it would be awkward to cast a set of feathers and heavy enough weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

thanks for the advise guys, any make or model you can recommend for both rod and reels?

thanks.

medicman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I've found thin strips of bait cut to look like sprat on a float are best for mackerel, but it is less fun.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Daiwa or shakespear are a good starter make but as I said dont go spending loads. Considering some people were raking in the makkies on the lidl sets (which I wouldnt really buy my self) 70/80 all in for rid and reel should see u straight in my own personal opinion. A good tackle shop should see u straight regardless

• Advertisement

Great stuff, thanks for that, am looking online for any special offers on combo sets, wife piped up today "and what about getting me a set also?" so will be looking for 3 sets, happy days, roll on june/july :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

I've always found Murrays to be really helpful. Just tell them you are on the budget or you are just seeing will your son like fishing. They always seem to knock off a few quid and the guys know what they are on about. They never screwed me over even when I was a novice , and as someone with more experience, I realise all the tackle they gave me was perfect price ect for a beginner.

Yes I am a big fan of Murrays :P Isn't there a place back of the Cole Quay does anyone know ? Been in there once they had some good stuff. But pricey from what I remember.

yep, but they are closed down now, and remember from years ago a bit pricey, will be heading to murrays this week and off we go.

Thanks again to all who replied. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Im_EoinD wrote: »
    I've always found Murrays to be really helpful. Just tell them you are on the budget or you are just seeing will your son like fishing. They always seem to knock off a few quid and the guys know what they are on about. They never screwed me over even when I was a novice , and as someone with more experience, I realise all the tackle they gave me was perfect price ect for a beginner.

Yes I am a big fan of Murrays :P Isn't there a place back of the Cole Quay does anyone know ? Been in there once they had some good stuff. But pricey from what I remember.

was that ays of Cork use to tie fantastic salmon flies .Sorry but the key between s an f is not working on my computer!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 darol15

theres a new shop aswel in carrigaline, if your coming from kinsale/belgooly side its just on your left hand side after your pass the petrol station, might be worth a look aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Argos are worth a look too, they have sets like this one

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3251557/Trail/searchtext%3EFISHING.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Was out all day at Howth Pier with feathers . No sign of macks . No one caught there today as far as I seen.

Was funny. a bunch of lads burst out of a car with 5 aldi/lidl rods. Spent 10 mins trying to cast into the wind with tiny weights and flexi rods then all jumped back into the car again . "Feck that" they said .

My advise would be to get a good stiff beech or pier rod and reel with plenty of 2oz and 3 oz bomb weights for feathers.

Make sure the reel is geared right as you need to be reeling in fast enough to keep the weight of the rocks below.
    I dont think a river or lake spinning reel is a great choice. My brother was forced to use one today and was getting 3/4 of the distance and twice the effort in retrieval. He was reeling in like a mad man!! lol.

stick in an offer on this. Would not go asking though. http://www.adverts.ie/fishing/fox-beach-and-pier-rod-and-shakspeare-medalist-reel/573625

thanks again to the replies, will get there in the end, so much information and links to get thru, but roll on the fishing :):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

If you are using a feather rig with a 8/9 foot spinning rod, then there's no need to go beyond a 1 or 2 ounce weight. At a lot of marks it is quite easy to get snagged, especially a rig that has 3 (or more) hooks, so I find keeping the weight to 1 or 2 ounce is better as you won't get stuck in rocks / weed as often and lose less tackle. When the mackerel are in most of the time you don't have to go very deep to get them.

If you are using lures to catch one mackerel at a time, then I recommend using a 1oz. Toby lure in silver or silver/blue, or a kilty lure. They both give excellent casting distance and have enough weight to get down a metre or so below the surface when retrieved at moderate speed.

One final tip - if you are buying feather rigs that have 6 feathers on each rig, cut them in half to make 2 rigs of 3. 6 feathers is far too many especially for a spinning rod, and will get snagged far too easily.

Advertisement