Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCD Architecture or DIT Architecture?

• 30-04-2011 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

What is the difference between both courses?
    What are the positives and negatives of both courses?
    Which one is easier to get into?
    Which one should I choose as no. 1?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

You won't get full answers really here because if your in ucd you won't be in Dit but I'll tell you what I know.

What is the difference between both courses?

Well unless it is changing this septemeber D.I.T have a 5 year honours bachelor degree which leaves you with a Barch whilst Ucd have a 3+2 year system, after 3 years you get your bachelors then after the last 2 years you get a March (masters in architecture) and Ucd is accredited with the RIBA.

Which one is easier to get into?
    I personally found DIT easier to get into it was my no.2, I passed the points required by a good bit because of my interview( you need a portfolio and you should read about an architect you do and don't like and same with buildings) and the aptitude test, I don't really rate the aptitude test though tbh.
    I however just made the cut for Ucd

Which one should I choose as no. 1?
    I'd advise you to put ucd (obviously) :P, The tutors are really good, great ideas and advice from them. The course has been revised for first years, our year this year was different to all the others before, I dunno if it'll be like ours was this sept. too though.
    Richview is a bit off main campus, you'll be getting the 11 bus, or living on or near campus (clonskeigh-raneleigh if you choose near campus) or you could cycle.

I'm just after finishing first year and I have had the best year. Some of our tutors commented that the standard of the first years was higher than previous due to the revised course.

If you have anymore questions just ask and i'll do my best to help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sean Healy

Thanks a million! I was confused over the Barch and March detail, I think they are going to change it however. I'm more inclined to go for UCD because all I've heard and read on the web has been about UCD. DIT really need to get internet friendly because I have no idea about the course there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Just another note not academic but we have Arcsoc over in Ucd, architecture society, they do nights out and get togethers as well as the architecture ball, it's the 100th year anniversary this year so it'll be a big one, I'm the secretry this year. So we'll be making sure the first years mix well this coming year.

You'll end up hanging out with your architecture classmates more than family with the hours you'll be doing but it's good craic all round.

Advertisement