Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIT Architecture or UCD Architecture?

Options
  • 30-04-2011 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am trying to choose whether to do Architecture in UCD or DIT next year.
    I would like to hear from people who...
    • have taken either course,
    • are in the process of taking either course or
    • plan on choosing one of the courses.
    I need opinions and accounts from people on the pros and cons of both courses.
    I'm stuck for a decision! :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I suggest a coinflip. It's how I determined my course of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

I did this last year too. Changed first preference last minute to DIT over UCD. We have the best lecturers in the country and the course has a great name. I keep hearing that job prospects are also the highest for DIT Architecture over other Irish courses although I don't know the legitimacy of this; word of mouth is great though. Although you definitely get a Masters in Architecture in UCD it is intended that students beginning next September in DIT will also be enrolling in a Masters in Architecture Degree and administration is working hard to make the final two years non-fee paying, whereas you have to pay full fees for final two years in UCD. UCD are also recognised by the Royal Institute of British Architects(RIBA) but it's only a label really, DIT is recognised under the European Directive for architecture schools which is more important so I wouldn't take this into account when making your decision as it is fully recognised by the Irish body(RIAI). Although UCD have better facilities overall, it isn't too important for architecture students as you'll be spending most of your time working in the studio anyway. The drop out rate for UCD is also higher in comparison to DIT, probably because of the entry requirements. DIT is also in the city centre which is extremely handy if you want to go to an art shop, go to a museum or just stroll around the city.

The course has also changed this year in order to improve the standard along with other European Universities. We have lots of more exams in comparison to other colleges, DIT is criticised by some people as being too practical or technical but it is just like other courses in terms of the artistic expectations we have to live up to, except we have lots of more work to do in order to gain the technical knowledge required to be a great architect, this may also be why DIT graduates are preferred over UCD graduates. Although you will get the glossy prospectus and a great webpage from UCD (DIT as a college are not very convincing on their presentation side of things but this doesn't reflect the course), your decision should be as pragmatic as possible.

It's not all work and no play though, the craic in the studio is great and the arch soc organises great events such as the halloween and other balls. Just had one there three weeks ago. It's a tough decision but imo, DIT is the way to go. Good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

From a neutral point of view (I studied architecture in the UK, though I've seen the work of both universities), my impressions are that UCD are more theoretical and artistic, while DIT are more technical and conservative. Really your choice comes down to which university you think you will do well in. Your best bet is to go to both end of year shows, speak to a few students, see which matches your interests best. There's no better university really. You could be the smartest student in the world and do badly if you pick a course thats not suited to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sean Healy

Thank you for your answers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 laArch

hope i'm not answering your question too late. I'm halfway through studying at UCD and have friends in DIT. From what i've heard...

UCD seems to promote artistic, beautiful drawings and buildings moreso than the technical side. The tech side is still really important and you have to still work at it to pass. This is a complaint ni ucd as the design studio is emphasised more than the tech studio so people fall behind in tech and have to then repeat etc. However if you just get into it and keep on top of it, then it's not a problem and from what i gather - studying in DIT doesn't provide you with a better technical education over UCD. (but i could be biased..)

Secondly, the first year course was revised this year and the standard appears much higher than it was in my first year. They've learned a LOT and are probably gonna embarrass us with their skills over ours. UCD are constantly changing and improving the course structure which is great, especially that the tutors/coordinators are open-minded about it. There are some workshops held in studio alternative/coinciding with design studio aimed to teach and develop specific skills e.g. hand drawing, model making, photoshop, etc, which are really great. due to their success they'll probably become a bigger focus for future years.

Thirdly, the facilities in UCD are brilliant. a huge building lab which has everything you need for timber or metal modelmaking. a great architecture library, art shop, also plenty of space for each student in the studios which is nice. the UCD building is a LOT nicer than the DIT one to be in, IMO. (though no lift and lots of stairs so cilmbing them has to not be a problem - it keeps you fit though!). Richview's location is a good 20min walk from Belfield, so you have all the facilities and amenities of UCD, and the social calendar (if you get out of studio...) without having the large, cliquish campus. Richview is really lovely and private, near Ranelagh, and the arcsoc organises great social events on campus all the time, including arc soc olympics in our area. best college experience!

Also - the tutors in ucd are brilliant. they all have a very open-minded view (prob like most architects) and are all highly respected, the majority in high-positions or arch firm owners, many winning national competitions, etc... kinda cool.

DIT friends do however seem to have a better idea of how they're doing throughout the year. They seem to be marked on continuous assessment while a major downfalll of UCD is that you have no idea what grade you'll get until final results after the semester. sometimes people fail without any idea that they were going to, it's been brought up a LOT to course coordinators but the system is still the same. however, it is great to have time to go back and finish incompleted work from earlier in the semester before final hand-up, althouh there's rarely time to do this.

Hope that rant answers your question. you'll probably have a great time in either college . . . if architecture is for you, then you'll like either place. but i'd recommend UCD :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Celestica

All I've got to say is don't do the course. I'm a qualified Architectural Technologist, luckily still working, but I can honestly say the industry has completely changed and for the worst in my opinion. Though this is only my opinion (before any backlash happens!)

Architects are getting sued left, right and centre.....you'll be much more liable should anything happen. Health and Safety is a huge issue. It's just not worth it. Plus there is a huge imbalance in the supply and demand of Architects.

RIAI doesn't mean much....all they want is a yearly subscription fee. You've to do 40 hours per annum CPD courses, which the majority of them will cost you money unless you're in a company that actually provides you with the option of being able to do them.

I think there's this fantasy among Architecture students that just doesn't coincide with reality. If you want to study it badly and feel that passionately about it then sutdy it abroad. The Irish are stuck with traditional methods etc., due to lack of money around.

I don't mean to be so negative but honestly, it's just not the way it used to be anymore. Though I'm just giving you my outlook on things.

Celestica wrote: »
    RIAI doesn't mean much....all they want is a yearly subscription fee. You've to do 40 hours per annum CPD courses, which the majority of them will cost you money unless you're in a company that actually provides you with the option of being able to do them.

I think there's this fantasy among Architecture students that just doesn't coincide with reality. If you want to study it badly and feel that passionately about it then sutdy it abroad. The Irish are stuck with traditional methods etc., due to lack of money around.

Is that 40 hours CPD thing true, because thats the first I've heard of it. The AAI don't hold enough lectures to reach 40 and there's no way you'd manage to attend that many, what other ways can you earn them?

And study abroad? That's nonsense, what difference does it make when we'll be working abroad anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Celestica

And study abroad? That's nonsense, what difference does it make when we'll be working abroad anyway?

This is very true I guess. I just think the UK has much more established courses and the RIBA is in 3 different stages, each one for every certification stage in the course.
    RIAI is mostly meaningless. And all architects I've known and encountered are of the same opinion. The MRIAI after the name is more of an assurance to Clients and in terms of legality, getting banks to pay out mortgage installments on new builds etc. than actually being of any use.

And yep, 40 hours of CPD. A lot of companies take the CPD courses offered directly from say Kingspan, Tegral, Velux etc. These would build up your mandatory CPD hours.

I guess I shouldn't really be on here giving my views because honestly I'm disillusioned with the whole industry. I'm giving a bad vibe indeed :(
    I've been working a long time now and all the people I went to college with have been let go or gone abroad or most had to completely change specialty. It's a weary place right now to work in. And it's certainly not for the faint of heart I can tell you!

While the UK may have alot more established courses, both DIT and UCD courses are running since before the second world war so that's fairly established in my view. UCD works like a 3 + 2 and DIT are putting that into practice this year AFAIK, so you have your three stages right there.

The RIAI is there to protect the client as well as the title architect. I don't know too much about this but from what I do know, without it, anyone from a builder to a draughtsman could practice as an architect.

It's definitely something you have to do for the love of it. You mentioned that there is a fantasy among arch students, I don't know what you fully mean, but most of us are aware of the lack of jobs out there, our head of dept. told us that out of the 60 architect students graduating this year in DIT, maybe two will get a job in Ireland, but most of them are optimistic because they are keen to put their skills to work, wherever that may be.

Advertisement