Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross - Cube, Zenith or Ridley - forks etc.

Options
  • 30-04-2011 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I am thinking about getting a cyclocross (not for competition and budget is an issue) and have been looking at the Cube, Ridley and Zenith options at Cyclesuperstore. (I have bought a couple of bikes from them and find their service great). At the moment I am on a LaPierre hybrid and knocking up three outings a week averaging 70km on each run. Small potatoes to you young folk. I use Trim as my hub. Generally I strike towards Kinnegad. After the snow last winter stretches of the road around there feel like someone dropped a harrow for a few hundred yards. I like my suspension front forks and I wonder will I give up too much going for a rigid fork in the cyclocross even though the forks look thicker than those on the average road bike? Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Speed, comfort. Pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Thanks. I'm optimistic that keeping with 700x35 tires will help with comfort. Actually I am thinking more in terms of a triple crankset and whether they are readily available for a low end x-cross.

Black Bloc wrote: »
    Actually I am thinking more in terms of a triple crankset and whether they are readily available for a low end x-cross.

Specialized Tricross Triple, Complete Bike £699.99
    http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/115/Specialized-Tricross-Trpl56%2710/

I've owned three CX bikes (including a Tricross) and other than being able to run studded tyres in the snow & ice they were/are all pretty crap on the road compared to proper road bikes. For cyclocross they're better, obviously. :)

I ride near Trim a fair bit, though more on the Dublin side around Batterstown/Dunboyne, and the roads are nowhere near bad enough to require 35mm tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

A road bike will be faster than a cross bike and is fine for those roads. Those sort of distances you should probably be starting to look for drops all right.

A cross bike will still be a lot faster than your hybrid. Make sure you swap the stock tyres for slicks. If you want 700x35c, Schwalbe Marathon Racer are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

I run 28mm Schwalbe Marathons on my Tricross (Singlecross) that I use for cummuting and I really like them. You can always change back to the cyclocross tyres during the winter.

I have also been looking the bike you mentioned and am interested in what others think of them too. The Cube gets good reviews and has the better spec for the money but the Crossbow (also good reviews) has rear rack mounts and mudguard eylets which is what I would want for commuting.

• Advertisement

Unless you are racing it, I wouldn't consider anything without all the mounts.

My race cross bike doesn't even have bottle cage mounts. Very impractical for anything but racing cross.

If you are considering something without the mounts and don't plan on racing cross you should probably just get a proper road bike... you can get 28s on some.

@D1gger- there is no benefit to cyclocross tyres on roads whether in winter or not. They are desgined for off-road. The only place they will have benefit is on snow. For icy roads etc wider slicks are be a better option.

Are there Specialized dealers on the outskirts of Dublin? I found one in Parnell St but to be honest that's a hassle to get to, even more so if and when the bike needs a service.

53 Degrees North are specialized dealers. They have shops in Blanchardstown and Carrickmines retail parks.

D1gger wrote: »
    53 Degrees North are specialized dealers. They have shops in Blanchardstown and Carrickmines retail parks.

Cycleways is better place to buy a bike than 53DN, by a long way. 53DN isn't really even a bike shop, it's an outdoor shop with a bike department; the staff have displayed bewildering ignorance of the most basic bike issues when I've spoken to them. Friendly but useless.

blorg wrote: »
    @D1gger- there is no benefit to cyclocross tyres on roads whether in winter or not. They are desgined for off-road. The only place they will have benefit is on snow. For icy roads etc wider slicks are be a better option.
    Lumen wrote: »
    Cycleways is better place to buy a bike than 53DN, by a long way. 53DN isn't really even a bike shop, it's an outdoor shop with a bike department; the staff have displayed bewildering ignorance of the most basic bike issues when I've spoken to them. Friendly but useless.

Totally agree on both points. I've just been replying based on the questions the OP asked without expanding on where he should shop or when he should use slicks (lazy).

• Advertisement

Has anyone anything positive to say about the Cube, Giant or Zenith Flanders x-cross bikes?

So far, the posts are titling towards Specialized. Wondering why?

Black Bloc wrote: »
    Has anyone anything positive to say about the Cube, Giant or Zenith Flanders x-cross bikes?

So far, the posts are titling towards Specialized. Wondering why?
    I think it is just that the Specialized Tricross is very popular and so people can give an opinion on it. I had one myself and know several others who did too. I don't know anyone with the Cube, Giant or Zenith Flanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I have a crossbow, I've had it for 5/6 years now, great bike, I've use it in early season road races where I don't want to risk damaging my Specialized road bike, It has not held me back at all. It has the 4Z? fork, I used it here in the winter on icy roads, I just left some pressure out of the tyres, it performs much better than a road bike on icy roads. I have also done 360k in one day on it and suffered no pain, actually I think it is much more comfortable than a regular road bike-which is built more for speed. I have a Compact on the CX bike-gives me the same ratio as a triple without the hassle, IMO.

Thanks. I called into 53DN this afternoon to have look at the Specialized range. Only one Tricross and the frame was too small. Not too sure how informed the staff are about bikes in general. I was pressed to consider an MTB as an alternative. The only other outskirts dealership for Specilized I could find was Hollingsworth in Templeogue. Don't want to make a trip over in vain. Any feedback about their range and service?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There's the Cycle Inn in Tallaght. They've moved to a bigger shop and have a lot more stock than the past.
    I've always delt with them as found them great.

Hollingsworth seems like a decent enough shop, never bought anything substantial from them but they seem to know their stuff and have a decent range.

Advertisement