Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amstel- decent or muck?

Options
  • 29-04-2011 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

I find Amstel interesting as a brand because they seem to be one of few that have a fixed price on their 8-packs (€10) now in off licenses, which isn't really common to brands like Heineken or Carlsberg. They were all around that mark at christmas time but have jumped back up now to between €12 and €15.

Amstel has been this price for years and I've always felt it was a decent beer, up there with the other most popular ones but I'm always surprised that the price stays low. Pleasantly surprised of course. It seems that the only other beers at 8 for 10 would be those Polish/Czech four packs for €5 which aren't really to my taste. That's not including the occasional supermarket promotions.

Am I codding myself? Is Amstel just Dutch Gold masquerading as a semi-decent beer or is it actually a rare case of quality at a consistently low price?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The price stays low because it's Heineken's value brand. It's not in the same market as Heineken and Carlsberg; it's with Tuborg and Fosters.
    Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Am I codding myself? Is Amstel just Dutch Gold masquerading as a semi-decent beer or is it actually a rare case of quality at a consistently low price?
    If you like the beer and like the price then keep drinking it. That's all there is to it, really, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I'd rank it with the likes of Fosters myself; fairly bland and flavorless.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

I'd put it in the muck column. Never got into it. Heineken light and all that. I'm drinking a Victory Hop Wallop atm, that's more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It tastes different in various markets. when I lived in Greece it's all I drank. Beautiful from the bottle, but, like Heineken, in Ireland it tastes absolute kack.

Like a lot of FMCG products, it's made differently depending on the perceived tastes of the country it's been sold in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd rate it much in the same category as Heineken and Carlsberg and Dutch Gold etc. etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

If you ask me, it's mass produced bland blonde lager. If you're having doubts about really liking this beer then it's probably because there's nothing to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Was great a few years ago when it was brewed in Holland. Nearly all BUL beers should be avoided.

Advertisement