Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Blown Fibre optic info??

Options
  • 29-04-2011 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,
    Im thinkin about doing a course to be an technician installing air blown fibre optic cable, the course is through this website http://www.broadbandcareers.ie/

My question is however that if it would be worth my time (and money) doing it, The guy running the course says that eircom will be upgrading all their systems to this fibre optic system and will need to hire technichians to carry out this work and private companies and households also, but thats his opinion, he might jus want the money I pay from doing the course. Basically will there be work out there for these new systems. :confused:
    Also if any knows anyone whos done the same or similar course who would hav any info.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I can tell you that air blown fibre systems have been around for a very long time. I can also say that they have a very niche market, or at least always did have up to a few years ago.

It seems like a two week course would cover an awful lot of subject matter so I would assume that it also covers termination and testing of fibre optic cables which would be relevant for other types of fibre also.

I wouldn't think this course is relevant in Ireland unless you can be guaranteed that eircom or others will be using it and even if they will use it, it would be a relatively easy think for their existing technicians to be trained up on it. I have a long history of installing fibre optics and teaching courses in it. I looked at an air blown system while in San Francisco in 1996 and I would think that having seen the demo I got, I would have been able to use it. I'm sure the course covers different systems though.

If you want to get into fibre optic work in general, there are lots of courses. I know www.woodcomm.ie do them and they are reasonable so shop around.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

If you are looking at blown fibre call Rwl and talk with Rob. That are the Irish disty for Brand Rex who have a superb blown fibre offering. Forget about Woods they only offer standard fibre course and bring in the instructors from UK. Cheaper to go over there and do course. If you want to do one in Ireland Temple are a better option, ask fir Daniel. TheGEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mdrizzle

Cheers lads thanks for the info, it helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I remember a relative of mine talking about Telecom Eireann doing this back in the very early 90s. It's not new technology in Ireland nor is it new to eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aerialbits

airblown fibre has been around for a while. But its very rarely been used in Ireland, Simply because companies that could use it are back in the dark ages.

Its going to be used here because its a good way to get multiple fibres to properties in a fibre to the home/office situation using ducts that already have cable in them. Note a say multiple fibres. Because jointing off a 144 conventional fibre outside each persons home is just not practical.

like others have said woods only do splicing and they have to bring people in from the UK to do it MMMhhh supposed to be a fibre company and they have to bring people in? not very good if you ask me.

I did some looking at broadbandcareers. At least they are accredited with FETAC and City and Guilds which means they are legit. And when I got to have a chat with them I found out that they are getting most people help with funding through the skillnets or the LMAF or at least some from FAS social welfare.

I am interested in these subjects so do a lot of reading up on things. To me I can't find anyone else here with us In Ireland, the UK or anywhere elst that has the set up that they say they have with all the different equipment types. Two weeks with so much equipment for people to learn how to use seems a little short to me. But hey that's my two penneth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Hi,
    I work in a pretty big provider and while we do have blown fibre but by in large we tend to use fibre which has been pulled and spliced at shorter intervals.

Generally with Blown Fibre I think they can blow up to 2.5 Km which means if theres a fibre break they have to blow it again or dig based on ODTR results which is not always feesable, hence shorter spans with more frequent access chambers just mean you need to pull in a new shorter section of cable for splicing if you are going Joint to Joint.

For sure if you could get something on splicing it could be of use because theres a couple of companies servicing the Telecos now aside from any work they do themselves. Its worth pointing out that FG promised a Fibre to the Cab roll out prior to the elections too but whether it ever transpires or not is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kajool

thanks for sharing

Advertisement