Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me killer flies for the Liffy

Options
  • 29-04-2011 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I am trying to fill my fly box via ebay.

So far I have got sets of

Olive gold head nymphs
    hares ear czech gold head nymphs
    WTD Sawyers Pheasant Tail Nymphs #12s
    IRON BLUE DUNs
    OLIVE Klinkhammer
    black spiders
    GOLD BEAD HEAD ROUGH OLIVE NYMPHS size 14
    WATERHEN BLOAs 10 to 16s
    OLIVE SHRIMPS /SCUDS
    POND OLIVE NYMPH

what else should I add to the box. I cant seem to get a bite through the riffles.

new Zealand style

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

This
    http://www.theessentialfly.com/trout-flies/iotbb-it-ought-to-be-banned.html

Accounted for more than sixty fish last weekend. The smaller the better I use a 22. It is a cracking fly on the liffey. Also anything small and gray can work well, you may have to trim the hackle on the underside so the fly sits low in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

is that what its really called. Jeepers.

22. :eek:

Would my 4lb line even go into it?

Im getting some. How do you fish them?

thats a great site. Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

For the Liffey I would use a 2.5lb 6X line. The flies don't really present well in a size 22 with such a heavy line

I cant seem to find the x6 2.5 . I have my eye on x5 3lb. Would this be a good compromise? Its quite expensive tapered leader. I get plagued with back cast snags and tangles. I hate wasting stuff. Tapered leader never lasts me more than an hour. http://www.theessentialfly.com/leeda/MA-J1224.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

On the Liffey I have gone to 3lbs mono.
    The trout are ok with it on flat water in indirect light.
    My flies are also very small, but I use short shank forged16s and 18s carp hooks, instead of 20s and 22s dry fly hooks. The length is the same, but the holding power is greater.
    I fish the lower river though, and you have to plan for occasional big fish turning up there.
    They are fussy, and leader over 3lbs would I feel be limiting of takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I cant seem to find the x6 2.5 . I have my eye on x5 3lb. Would this be a good compromise? Its quite expensive tapered leader. I get plagued with back cast snags and tangles. I hate wasting stuff. Tapered leader never lasts me more than an hour. http://www.theessentialfly.com/leeda/MA-J1224.html

I ordered 6x 2.5 tapered leader from that site. One of the better Ones I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

I find small dry bwo
    I get them jimmy tyrell in irishflycraft
    Hes a class act...!

Why buy tapered leader?
    I just make my own very simple once you know how.
    I use rio powerflex 6x 2.5. I find anything over 3lbs just spooks the fish on the liffey. I also degrease the last couple of foot as well.
    Gsxr1 I will be up on the river sunday morn. If you want to try one. I will be fishing down from the aquaduct.

Why buy tapered leader?
    I just make my own very simple once you know how.
    I use rio powerflex 6x 2.5. I find anything over 3lbs just spooks the fish on the liffey. I also degrease the last couple of foot as well.
    Gsxr1 I will be up on the river sunday morn. If you want to try one. I will be fishing down from the aquaduct.

near sallins. I would love to get some tips. I have spend 4 days fishing the liffy and got one small 6 inch browny(this morn on a iron blue dun . I doing something very wrong. In sure its not my cast .

Can I meet you? i live 2 mins from the aquaduct.

yeah, there is no problem meeting up. pm,d you

• Advertisement

Bernard. Thanks so much for the tips. Very helpful. Gentleman.

I just spend a few pound online on smaller sizes and recommended leader. miles of it. LOL Wife is going to go nuts.

Well don't blame me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I am trying to fill my fly box via ebay.

So far I have got sets of

Olive gold head nymphs
    hares ear czech gold head nymphs
    WTD Sawyers Pheasant Tail Nymphs #12s
    IRON BLUE DUNs
    OLIVE Klinkhammer
    black spiders
    GOLD BEAD HEAD ROUGH OLIVE NYMPHS size 14
    WATERHEN BLOAs 10 to 16s
    OLIVE SHRIMPS /SCUDS
    POND OLIVE NYMPH

what else should I add to the box. I cant seem to get a bite through the riffles.

new Zealand style

My favourite to date is the G.E its been hitting quite a few fish for me lately although i wouldn't buy it from this site http://www.selectafly.com/mall/SELECTAFLY/customerimages/products/S208.jpg
    also if yu can tie your own flies make a few with a bright yellow cdc wing as opposed to natural cdc.
    Tightlines!

Advertisement