Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I qualify for half the grant if I left college on 31st January?

Options
  • 29-04-2011 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi,

I'm planning to go back to college this September and I'm just wondering what I'm entitled to.

I dropped out of a course in UCC in 2008 on 31st January (I was in receipt of the full maintenance grant). I was told that going by this date, I can qualify for half the maintenance grant/fees when I start 1st year in college again.

My county council told me that this is not the case and as long as you registered on a course it doesn't matter when you leave, you have to wait until you get through to the second year before you can apply for the grant again.

Is this right? The lady in the UCC registrars office also told me that the latest date to qualify for half fees is the 31st January. I also read something like this on another thread here.

Any info would be greatly appreciated as there's no point to apply through the cao if I can't afford to go!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You should be able to get half the tuition fees paid under the free fees. You will have to pay the 2k registration fee yourself, the council grant (inc. maintenance and/or reg fees) can't be received in respect of a year or part of a year you have already taken unfortunatley. If you would normally be entitled tothe grant, you can apply for it in respect of subsequent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭simonsez

Miss A wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm planning to go back to college this September and I'm just wondering what I'm entitled to.

I dropped out of a course in UCC in 2008 on 31st January (I was in receipt of the full maintenance grant). I was told that going by this date, I can qualify for half the maintenance grant/fees when I start 1st year in college again.

My county council told me that this is not the case and as long as you registered on a course it doesn't matter when you leave, you have to wait until you get through to the second year before you can apply for the grant again.

Is this right? The lady in the UCC registrars office also told me that the latest date to qualify for half fees is the 31st January. I also read something like this on another thread here.

Any info would be greatly appreciated as there's no point to apply through the cao if I can't afford to go!

Hi not to be a merchant of doom . I have been in contact with a number of coco's , have talked with folk in the dept of ed etc.

The impression given is that nobody knows what is going to happen with the grant. Before there were pointers at this stage of the year traditionally and normally there is some information seepage within the departments.

However the higher echelons are keeping very tight lipped. The Mandarins are giving no indications. What has been suggested is that I should gather the traditional documents and extra evidence in relation to my residence status along with p21's P60's etc etc. I have ordered p21s and bank statements from 2006 to date.

Bon Chance

SS

Advertisement