Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submission moves

Options
  • 29-04-2011 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Do they actually hurt?

John Cenas one is stupid. Doesn't look like it hurts at all.

So do sharpshooters, angle locks, walls of jericho etc actually hurt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Every single one of them hurts when applied correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,341 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the original Walls of Jericho was meant to hurt a fair bit, which is why it looks a lot tamer now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

Benoits one looked like that hurt. but john cenas one really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Benoits one looked like that hurt

Damn straight it did. Remember well from when we were messing as kids.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Degag wrote: »
    Damn straight it did. Remember well from when we were messing as kids.:rolleyes:

yep had many of these locked in on myself when I was young and they hurt though obviously if done so as to not apply pressure it shouldent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

The anklelock looks like a surefire way of breaking/dislocating an ankle if not performed correctly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My brother and I used to mess around with all of these back in the day.

Arm-bars, ankle-locks, Boston crabs, camel clutch, sharp-shooters all hurt.

We could never figure out how to do the Figure-4 leg-lock though! :o
    Still, we were decent wrestlers for 8/9/10 year olds. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Ah yes. I was a wrestling fanatic as a kid. I remember when i was 11 or 12 I was getting terrorised by this guy in school for months. So I agreed to fight him just to get him off my case. I remember he ran at me and kicked me and fell onto his back and I grabbed his legs and tried to give him a boston crab, one leg got free and he wouldnt stop kicking me with one leg so I twisted his leg around and lashed on a figure four leg lock ( I remember everyone watching was laughing at me as I was trying to do it). The screams out of him. The one and only fight I was ever in and I won with a figure four leg lock :D.

They do bloody hurt and are quite dangerous. Apply a boston crab, fall backwards and youd break someones back quite easily.

Kinda relieved my own son was never into it tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Ah yes. I was a wrestling fanatic as a kid. I remember when i was 11 or 12 I was getting terrorised by this guy in school for months. So I agreed to fight him just to get him off my case. I remember he ran at me and kicked me and fell onto his back and I grabbed his legs and tried to give him a boston crab, one leg got free and he wouldnt stop kicking me with one leg so I twisted his leg around and lashed on a figure four leg lock ( I remember everyone watching was laughing at me as I was trying to do it). The screams out of him. The one and only fight I was ever in and I won with a figure four leg lock :D.

They do bloody hurt and are quite dangerous. Apply a boston crab, fall backwards and youd break someones back quite easily.

Kinda relieved my own son was never into it tbh.

Had a similar thing with a bully. He came up to me and started pushing me...so I kicked him in the gut and gave him a stunner. He stood up, and laughed so hard that I had ample time to make my escape <_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The anklelock looks like a surefire way of breaking/dislocating an ankle if not performed correctly.

Not when Swagger uses it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

broke my friends ankle after applying the masterlock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

partyndbs wrote: »

how the hell did that happen? The Masterlock is a wrenching full nelson:confused:

Did you have him upside-down?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Not when Swagger Michael Cole uses it :pac:

FYP:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

lolz i must have had a brain freeze moment meant ankle lock

lolz i must have had a brain freeze moment meant ankle lock
    I was wondering/worried about you there for a minute :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

None of them hurt. There intention is not to hurt.

Ankle lock is really a toe-hold, and yes, they hurt when applied properly. I used to go for them all the time in BJJ. Samoa Joe's RNC obviously is effective in real life. Alberto Del Rio's armbar also hurts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Out of interest has anyone here ever learned learned shoot wrestling? I'd like to learn it as an alternative to judo/bjj.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

dlofnep wrote: »
    Alberto Del Rio's armbar also hurts.

Yeo I put a mate in a drunk cross arm breaker on mania night and he was sore for several days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Every single one of them hurts when applied correctly.

Cianan's exactly right. The trick of pro-wrestling is to apply the move correctly with as little pressure as possible, but have both wrestlers sell the move so it looks like it hurts.

Some moves will hurt no matter how u apply it (eg Figure 4) but stuff like Cena's STFU, the Ankle lock are commonly applied far too loosely with no torque and so look like sh!t.

John_Cena.jpg

Like Cena's STFU has actually no pressure, it's supposed to be a facelock (like Benoit's Crossface/Bryan's LeBell lock); it's all in the facials (look at Cena's and Tripper's face) but if anything, Cena's giving Tripper a head-squeeze with his forearm. So it's the STFS (Stepover Toehold Forearm squeeze).

Applying submissions so it looks good without hurting ur opponent too much is what wrestling is all about.

Hitman-DVD_Pic6.jpg

Bret "I'm sitting back, this'll hurt" Hart. Looks good!

rocksharp.jpg

Here's the worst sharpshooter in history (the Rock). Look at Rocky basically standing and leaning forward (contrast the space between Rock's ass and the back of the opponent, and then Bret's) with the legs even barely crossed. So there's absolutely no pressure at all. And it looks like sh!t. Rock's basically just holding whoever's legs up a little. Absolutely painless, unless you're a smark, you'll be wincing!

If Bret wanted to actually get a submission with it he'd wrench back applying more pressure to the lower back. But he's applied it snugly so it does hurt a bit, and looks great. Also note that both Bret and his opponent sell the move with facials and emotions.

Hope that's somewhat useful lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Bit off topic but I always thought Owen did a nicer sharpshooter than Bret.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Cianan's exactly right. The trick of pro-wrestling is to apply the move correctly with as little pressure as possible, but have both wrestlers sell the move so it looks like it hurts.

Some moves will hurt no matter how u apply it (eg Figure 4) but stuff like Cena's STFU, the Ankle lock are commonly applied far too loosely with no torque and so look like sh!t.

John_Cena.jpg

Like Cena's STFU has actually no pressure, it's supposed to be a facelock (like Benoit's Crossface/Bryan's LeBell lock); it's all in the facials (look at Cena's and Tripper's face) but if anything, Cena's giving Tripper a head-squeeze with his forearm. So it's the STFS (Stepover Toehold Forearm squeeze).

To be honest a Cena Fore Arm squeeze - considering how big they are - could hurt!

Advertisement