Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of sales do The Beano and The Dandy get nowadays?

Options
  • 29-04-2011 3:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I got two free Beanos with the newspaper today, one from 1974 and one from 1976. I'm surprised they're still up and running to be honest.

I thought they'd be long gone since kids nowadays are more interested in their Xbox's and their DVD's:rolleyes:.

Do they still get a sizable readership?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, they're still on sale in some form so while they're probably not doing as well as they would have done in the past with less competition, they must be turning over at least some bit of a profit.

There's a brief roundup with some numbers from last year here if you're interested in a detailed breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Beano artist Gary Northfield came over to do a series of workshops as part of the children's book festival last October and he got a great welcome from the kids with most being very familiar with his work in the comic. I was running workshops at the same time and when I asked them to name comics they read the beano, the dandy and the simpson comics were the big ones so they are still popular within the age bracket they are aimed at (7 to 9). Also for the dandy Jamie stewart is the artist on the desperate Dan so he has a strong following.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

Seems like the kind of thing that parents would want to pass onto their children. I know where I come from almost everyone my age read the bean or dandy when they were young and so did their parents. It's something that a lot of people get sentimental about and I imagine anyone who was a fan as a child would be eager to buy their child their first one in the newsagents.

Advertisement