Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address to user account data

Options
  • 29-04-2011 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

hey guys, I though here was probably the best place to get an answer, mod please move if not.
    If I have an ip address and a time at a particular log in to something. how difficult is it to get the isp to release the users personal information?

like, say, the account holders name and address?
    court order difficult? or polite phonecall/phonecall from the guards difficult?

I assume the isp actually does have the ability to recall the link between a session and an account?

I think its NTL if thats of any difference

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

The ISP does make a difference. NTL won't give user info to the guards, but Eircom will.

However, I remember a few years back a new law was introduced that allowed online information to be used in court if the crime was serious enough. It also forces the ISP to hand it over.

I'm guessing whoever you're looking for didn't murder you, so you won't be able to get it from the guards. You're better off tracking it yourself. Start with a iplookup site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

none that i tried gave great results. recommend one?

All you'll get from that is ISP and a general location, no specifics. It's just a start. :)

Why don'tcha fill us in on what happened, if you don't mind?

stolen laptop. and whoever stole it just used it and something on the laptop is set to automatically sync. so I have the ip from their login. guards are involved since the house was broken into and I would very, very much like to find this individual

Well if that's the case the value of the laptop is high enough to be considered grand theft, therefore his ISP might have to give out his information.

If I were you I'd give his IP to the guards and ask them to follow up on it. No harm in trying anyway.

If you were to find out his info on your own, what would you do? You couldn't give that to the guards because you'd have obtained it illegally.

• Advertisement

guards already have the ip, mostly I was wondering what they have to do to get their info.

(also punch them in their dumb face)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PeterHughes

Did you have any remote admin software running on it? Also the next time the laptop is connected, see what ports are being used, might give you some ideas on how to get more info.

Good example of how to get a computer back ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4oB28ksiIo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I posted that Defcon video before. Hilarious stuff.

OP, if you want to send me on the IP privately, I'll see what I can do for you.

Advertisement