Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking boots

Options
  • 29-04-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I need to buy a pair of walking boots for a holiday i am going on. Where would i be able to buy a relatively cheap pair. I live in limerick but could also travel to dublin.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any outdoor / camping shop really. Sometimes you can get lucky in charity shops too. . .

Not your ornery onager

For a cheap pair try TK Maxx, you can get lucky. Or Heatons do Karrimor walking shoes. If you are doing a few miles on roads, will be easier to go cheap, if doing long hauls across say mountains where you'll need ankle supports, waterproofs etc skimping may be trickier and might not be even a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Walking boots would be the one of the items of walking kit I would not skimp on where money is concerned, so I would recommend trying to stretch the finances to afford a decent pair and get fitted at a good outdoors shop. If coming to dublin then the great outdoors would be the usual place to get them fitted but there are loads of other places too, like 53 degress north, base camp, outdoor adventure store etc...

Also i'd recommend spending as much time as possible prior to the holiday "breaking the shoes in".

• Registered Users Posts: 41 garg

I got a pair of boots in Aldi recently, they're decent but the sole is a bit thin and I can't see them lasting for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

dogmatix wrote: »
    Walking boots would be the one of the items of walking kit I would not skimp on where money is concerned, so I would recommend trying to stretch the finances to afford a decent pair and get fitted at a good outdoors shop. If coming to dublin then the great outdoors would be the usual place to get them fitted but there are loads of other places too, like 53 degress north, base camp, outdoor adventure store etc...

Also i'd recommend spending as much time as possible prior to the holiday "breaking the shoes in".
    I fully agree with this and go one step more and say you should get salmon boots - explorer gtx should be around 140-150e and damm good boots very good ankle suport and soles of boots will last forever there is also the Elios 2 Mid GTX there less suport on the ankle still a good boot and around 30e less so get a discount and should only be around 100e not to bad for a pair for boots that wont let you down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

If you're absolutely 100% sure of your size, you could try an online store - www.jackson-sports.com is based in Belfast and have free 32 county delivery. Excellent online store and prompt delivery, I've used them loads. Not for boots mind you but for everything else. They hav a great selection of walking shoes/boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Make sure you go into a shop and get fitted, if you are going to be doing a fair bit of walking you need a good pair, last thing you want is an uncomfortable pair of boots, or worst case sore feet making your holiday miserable.

Don't know anywhere in Limerick but if you can get into the great outdoors in dublin they will look after you. I needed a new pair of boots just before heading up carrantuohill last year and I didn't have time to break in, they fitted me up with a great pair of solomans that I wore for 1 day before for a few hours, I did a 7 hour hike and my feet were in great shape after it and they were less than €100. Any good shop should be able to help, I also can recommend venture out in Ennis. Don't buy off the net without trying on in a shop first, Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Thank you so much to everyone for their replies. I bought a pair in Limerick in Radar which is a camping/hiking store. Paid 69.95 for them and there are great fit and very comfortable. Staff were great and helped me pick a good pair. Will take all yer tips and break them in well before I head on my walking holiday in the summer. Am saying for years that I'd like climb Croagh Patrick so now that I have my boots I'm gona do it

Thanks again everyone for the advice
    Much appreciated! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

yogalady wrote: »
    Thank you so much to everyone for their replies. I bought a pair in Limerick in Radar which is a camping/hiking store. Paid 69.95 for them and there are great fit and very comfortable. Staff were great and helped me pick a good pair. Will take all yer tips and break them in well before I head on my walking holiday in the summer. Am saying for years that I'd like climb Croagh Patrick so now that I have my boots I'm gona do it

Thanks again everyone for the advice
    Much appreciated! :p

Where in Limerick is this shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

It's on fox's bow a lane that connects William street to Thomas street. If you know william street the entrance to fox's bow is across from the 2 Euro shop. Staff were great and couldn't have been more helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Whitehawk wrote: »
    I fully agree with this and go one step more and say you should get salmon boots - explorer gtx should be around 140-150e and damm good boots very good ankle suport and soles of boots will last forever there is also the Elios 2 Mid GTX there less suport on the ankle still a good boot and around 30e less so get a discount and should only be around 100e not to bad for a pair for boots that wont let you down!

Hi,first time poster here,(after using the search engine here for "walking boots" i came across this thread). i also need a new pair of boots,and am looking at the Salomon explorers GTX,have you got them long Whitehawk? and are they as waterproof as they say they are?
    Thank you.
    hick wrote: »
    Make sure you go into a shop and get fitted, if you are going to be doing a fair bit of walking you need a good pair, last thing you want is an uncomfortable pair of boots, or worst case sore feet making your holiday miserable.

Don't know anywhere in Limerick but if you can get into the great outdoors in dublin they will look after you. I needed a new pair of boots just before heading up carrantuohill last year and I didn't have time to break in, they fitted me up with a great pair of solomans that I wore for 1 day before for a few hours, I did a 7 hour hike and my feet were in great shape after it and they were less than €100. Any good shop should be able to help, I also can recommend venture out in Ennis. Don't buy off the net without trying on in a shop first, Enjoy!

Hi hick,are these the explorers GTX you have,or a different model?
    As i am leaning towards choosing these,would your advice be to purchase these,im not bothered about price,as i know a good pair of boots are essential.
    Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Hi,first time poster here,(after using the search engine here for "walking boots" i came across this thread). i also need a new pair of boots,and am looking at the Salomon explorers GTX,have you got them long Whitehawk? and are they as waterproof as they say they are?
    Hi there and welcome to boards, ya the salomon boots are great, i have them just less then a year now, used them for 6 months in Aisa about 24/7 and also had them up the swiss alps and they still are like new.

Waterproofing is good, when i got them i gave then a extra spray of a waterproofer. they still dont leack but i would advise giving them a extra coat of a spray,but that is something i do/advise with any new boots.

These boots are just great you will love them there light and still give great support and you can nearly run in them! Best boots i every had and ive had a lot of boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Whitehawk wrote: »
    Hi there and welcome to boards, ya the salomon boots are great, i have them just less then a year now, used them for 6 months in Aisa about 24/7 and also had them up the swiss alps and they still are like new.

Waterproofing is good, when i got them i gave then a extra spray of a waterproofer. they still dont leack but i would advise giving them a extra coat of a spray,but that is something i do/advise with any new boots.

These boots are just great you will love them there light and still give great support and you can nearly run in them! Best boots i every had and ive had a lot of boots!

Thanks for the welcome,and the advice.Looks like ill get those ones so.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Sorry for the late reply,I'm just back from a long weekend in Norway, I brought the solomon's with me (scs) and they were great, walked 18km in 1 day in them over very rough terrain, key is good socks, I wear Teko Moroni wool, no sweat which will minimise chaffing and wear on long treks. I must also commend my Columbia omni techs though while I think about it, much lighter and waterproof also, great for day hikes, just a little less support, but that's fine for lighter loads. Best of luck with what ever you choose
    Hick

Advertisement