If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

First time unemployed

  • 28-04-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

    Need some help and advice, I plan to go to citizens advice but want to see if i get some help here too.

    I have just passed the big 40 and for the first time in my life I find myself unemployed.

    I have recently been sacked from my job that I have been in for the last five years. I have a wife and two boys,don't have any debt except for €140K owed on a house which is worth about €200K in todays market, and about 10k owed on my car to the credit union.
    I have about 6k in savings in the credit union but that is securing our loan.

    I moved to the ROI 5 years ago to take up my recent post with a new company, I had worked in NI for 17 years before that.
    My wife still works for a NI company and uses her mum's NI address for all bills we still have in NI (credit union, small pension etc) and NHS cover when it is needed. We do not claim any thing from the ROI, childrens allowance still claimed from NI as kids still go to school in NI.
    We have nevered registered to vote, my wife has had no correspondance to do with anything in the ROI except apply for a PPS number when we were applying for our mortgage. I don't even think our kids exist in ROI.

    Now the questions:
    What do I do about dole? I can't see myself ever being employed anytime soon so I would need to sign for JSA or JSB.

    What if anything can I claim for my wife and kids?

    Will the fact that she works in NI affect us?

    What about the kids? I don't want to move them from their schools in NI as they are in secondary school.

    I was headhunted for my last job, I never had to fill out a CV and never done one in my life. Do FAS help with this?

    Thats all I can think of for now.

    Really appreciate the help.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

    JSB is what you need to claim,register with fas and ask them.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

    As MP22 says make a JSB claim in your local sw office. I presume you are resident in the Republic for you job. When your JSB is approved and in payment for 1 month you can transfer you claim to NI for 78 days if you are looking for work in NI or any EU country. If you are transferring your claim you will need to register with a sw office in the north (presuming you will head north). SW office here in Republic will let you know what is involved. It takes some time to come through but it is one option for you.