Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promoting Each Other's Twitter Pages. Follow the Followers!

Options
  • 28-04-2011 7:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hello All,

As I noticed the success of the Facebook Like thread that was previously started. I don't see why we shouldn't start a Twitter one.

I'd imagine most business's are on Twitter. If you are not i'd highly recommend it.

As with the previous thread there has to be some rules.

1. Follow everyones twitter who follows them. I.E Follow me I then will follow you etc.

I don't expect everyone to tweet any messages saying "follow @" etc, Merely just to follow each others Twitters get your followers up and help each others Twitter page! :cool:

So in a nutshell follow me and i will follow u

Watch This Cam - Twitter

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Whats the point exactly?

Do you think that having more followers who aren't interested in your business will somehow increase sales?

I think you're missing the whole point of twitter, it's not a popularity contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Done!

The link to mine is this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭stephenpalmer

Whats the point exactly?

Do you think that having more followers who aren't interested in your business will somehow increase sales?

I think you're missing the whole point of twitter, it's not a popularity contest.

? And facebook is? So what is the harm in getting 100 additional twitter followers?

Maybe not sales might bring some visitors to your site?

I really cannot see the disadvantage to this?????

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Done!

The link to mine is ..

Done :)

? And facebook is? So what is the harm in getting 100 additional twitter followers?

Maybe not sales might bring some visitors to your site?

I really cannot see the disadvantage to this?????

Well the real power of twitter is interacting with people, if your not reading your timeline and your followers aren't reading there's then there is literally no point / value. If you follow people or users without being interested in what they have to say then it's pointless as it means your less likely to keep up with the ones you were interested in.

I have 1000+ people who follow me and I follow about a third of them back, but the one's i do follow i interact with and that's where the business value on social media you've hear about happens.

To answer your question so, You won't harm yourself pissing into the wind, but there's not much point in doing it either. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well the real power of twitter is interacting with people, if your not reading your timeline and your followers aren't reading there's then there is literally no point / value. If you follow people or users without being interested in what they have to say then it's pointless as it means your less likely to keep up with the ones you were interested in.

I have 1000+ people who follow me and I follow about a third of them back, but the one's i do follow i interact with and that's where the business value on social media you've hear about happens.

To answer your question so, You won't harm yourself pissing into the wind, but there's not much point in doing it either. :rolleyes:

Its the exact same as Facebook...How is there not much point? Your getting followers along with following fellow business's in Ireland. It doesnt matter if you have 10 or 100000 followers the more you have the more people tweeters see your tweets!

By all means keep your own followers to yourself if you wish. All i am doing is offering a connection for users on this forum.. Quite similar to the Facebook option.

You could say the exact same thing about facebook!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is no need to go against the thread. It is doing you and no others any harm so start following people. :eek:

It's not the same as facebook, if it was noone would use twitter because they already have a facebook account. People come here to learn ways to run successful businesses. If they follow your lead they will also be wasting their time; or worse think social media doesn't add any value and quit altogether.

Volume of followers has no correlation to success or value. If it did then Robosteel would be 70 times bigger than vodafone.

My point is simple, you are clearly new to twitter and you are not using it correctly. It's not a personal dig, it's a hint there's a better way to use the platform to get the result you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

It is doing you and no others any harm so start following people. :eek:
    That actually would do Ronan harm, in an indirect way.

He uses Twitter to connect with relevant, related and people he wishes to chat with. If his feed is clogged up with a stream of messages from others he doesn't wish to engage with, it makes his task a lot more difficult and he can't achieve his main goal. This is his point and why he disagrees with your stance on it.

If you feel the value from Twitter is simply getting your tweet in front of as many eyes as possible, that's fine. Ronan feels that the true value is getting the message in front of an engaged audience who will act on tweets, engage in conversation and not simply be a follower for the sake of it.

They're two very different approaches, one I fully agree with (I'm with Ronan here, just fyi) and one I personally don't. He's not trying to insult you or derail the conversation, simply pointing out that you might/should get more value from the platform by taking a more focused approach.

It's not the same as facebook, if it was noone would use twitter because they already have a facebook account. People come here to learn ways to run successful businesses. If they follow your lead they will also be wasting their time; or worse think social media doesn't add any value and quit altogether.

Volume of followers has no correlation to success or value. If it did then Robosteel would be 70 times bigger than vodafone.

My point is simple, you are clearly new to twitter and you are not using it correctly. It's not a personal dig, it's a hint there's a better way to use the platform to get the result you want.

Okay Ill admit I am new to Twitter. I suppose as posted below I wasn't talking into consideration the use of twitter for your business.

But what if say MTV had 10000 followers and VH1 had 50000 followers. Surly any tweets etc would make the VH1 more likely to be seen by many followers? Maybe if you were following people in you Niche this would matter. But if you were trying to drive traffic to your site get people to engage maybe some possible feedback on your twitter page than surely it would be better to have more followers?

I am not saying I am completely write but I am in terms of context surely? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Hi Stephen

the following is part of a blog i wrote it might help

"What have my experiences meant to me? It has made me even more determined to keep my social media activity lighter, and not an aggressive advertising policy. Giving customers the chance to get to know a bit more about me and my staff before they commit to being customers. Unfortunately some part of it has to be to remind google that we exist and what we do.

I have also realised that there is a reason twitter is separate from Facebook and have deactivated the link. Its not that I’m hiding any information on Facebook but to me facebook is about people you know and twitter is more about people you are yet to know. What’s your opinion?
    "

you need to entice imo not advertise.

• Advertisement

Hi Stephen

the following is part of a blog i wrote it might help

"What have my experiences meant to me? It has made me even more determined to keep my social media activity lighter, and not an aggressive advertising policy. Giving customers the chance to get to know a bit more about me and my staff before they commit to being customers. Unfortunately some part of it has to be to remind google that we exist and what we do.

I have also realised that there is a reason twitter is separate from Facebook and have deactivated the link. Its not that I’m hiding any information on Facebook but to me facebook is about people you know and twitter is more about people you are yet to know. What’s your opinion? "

you need to entice imo not advertise.

I see, yes you do have some valid points. Still though more followers = more publicity. Maybe in your eyes but I really cannot see the disadvantage of having more followers.

People still get to know you from your tweets. Heck some people might even take interest in your business.

I still cannot possibly see the downside. If I had to choose between 100 followers who knew what my business was or 10000 followers who had some idea of what I was, I would obviously take the 10000 ?? ?? :)

I not saying I wouldn't like lots of followers but i would prefer 5 that read all my tweets and interacted with me than 1000 who don't.

I not saying I wouldn't like lots of followers but i would prefer 5 that read all my tweets and interacted with me than 1000 who don't.

Fair point. I agree completely with that. But adding people on boards, you would remember the name. I may not interact with all of them but I still would see all the tweets and I would prefer my tweet to be seen by 10000 followers than 100.

Maybe it would be different if you were selling a product or were a small business, in that case I would agree the lower the better. On my side than I just have a website which I want to new visitors. Hopefully returning. :)

you'd get more followers directly on twitter though imo

you'd get more followers directly on twitter though imo

Still though you might only get 100 followers from this thread and follow 100 more people.

No harm done really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

I'm with Ronan, MrClonfadda et al on this. I don't think you're using twitter correctly or are aware of how it should be used. A quick glance at your twitter feed tells me that I don't want to follow you, you're not tweeting anything of interest to me (no offence intended, that's just the fact of it, doesn't mean to say I won't go to your website for a look).

I'm following people in my industry, customers, reviewers, journalists relevant to my business etc - these are who I want to keep up with and interact with on a daily basis, I follow a lot of people already and am not going to follow more unless they have something to offer me as it means me potentially missing out on other tweets if I am following a lot more people.

As regards Facebook V Twitter, they're two very different media and you need to use each appropriately. Yes, I want more followers on Facebook because each time someone clicks 'like' on my FB page it will appear on all their friends' news feeds and spread word of the business. This is not the same with Twitter, the only way my followers will know I'm following you is if I give you a mention, which really I'm only going to do for business partners, friends etc. Twitter is all about conversations and interactions, building relationships with people etc and that's what you need to start doing to get yourself and grow your followers organically.

Tangled wrote: »
    I'm with Ronan, MrClonfadda et al on this. I don't think you're using twitter correctly or are aware of how it should be used. A quick glance at your twitter feed tells me that I don't want to follow you, you're not tweeting anything of interest to me (no offence intended, that's just the fact of it, doesn't mean to say I won't go to your website for a look).

I'm following people in my industry, customers, reviewers, journalists relevant to my business etc - these are who I want to keep up with and interact with on a daily basis, I follow a lot of people already and am not going to follow more unless they have something to offer me as it means me potentially missing out on other tweets if I am following a lot more people.

As regards Facebook V Twitter, they're two very different media and you need to use each appropriately. Yes, I want more followers on Facebook because each time someone clicks 'like' on my FB page it will appear on all their friends' news feeds and spread word of the business. This is not the same with Twitter, the only way my followers will know I'm following you is if I give you a mention, which really I'm only going to do for business partners, friends etc. Twitter is all about conversations and interactions, building relationships with people etc and that's what you need to start doing to get yourself and grow your followers organically.

I see.. This does clear a bit up. I can see where your coming from. Maybe I should of posted a thread saying everyone follow me :cool:

But ya I agree with u and the others on the topic. I just joined twitter 3-4 days ago and instantly associated it with Facebook.

Follow me anyways... joking.

Thanks anyways!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement