Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farriers

Options
  • 28-04-2011 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I'm fed up with my horse getting forgotten at the yard so I'm taking matters into my own hands.

Anyone know of any trustworthy farriers who is reliable and will normally be up on the day they say they will?

my horse has gone 3 months without farrier work they keep 'forgetting' to get her seen. She's kept barefoot so it's not like she takes forever to do but her feet are in such a state I'm afraid to ride her. Let's just say I'm annoyed.

So has anyone got any numbers or reccomendations? I'd prefer to get one up tomorrow or saturday morning as I work nights, but I can discuss this with the farrier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Any reccommendations though? I can look through lists every day of the week, I need a good farrier who I can depend on.

i've been 4 days trying to ring farriers and i've gotten no replies, the horse is falling apart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

I read about a guy called Felix Randal...he was meant to be good.

He died though...very sad.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Got a farrier thanks everyone

• Advertisement

i know a few lads around there, but tbh, i dunno if theor looking for new clients, also, i know nothing about you or horse so id say your best bet is to searchj the register. there is one lad very near you who is good, but when i dont know what im letting him in for, thats all im prepared to say, sorry.
    if your really in a pinch, PM me and we can sort something out about names and numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Please report posts that are 'problematic'. Thanks.

If you don't have anything useful to say, then please refrain from posting.

s-cogan wrote: »
    i know a few lads around there, but tbh, i dunno if theor looking for new clients, also, i know nothing about you or horse so id say your best bet is to searchj the register. there is one lad very near you who is good, but when i dont know what im letting him in for, thats all im prepared to say, sorry.
    if your really in a pinch, PM me and we can sort something out about names and numbers.

thanks for your help, but I've managed to get a farrier who is willing to see me next week, fair play to him. My mare needs an operation to remove proud flesh from her inside pastern, right hind leg. The vet said to get her feet done first as they're all cracked and keep catching the proud flesh, so once her feet are sorted she is getting the vet up. Why I'm in such a rush really the longer it's left the worst it gets!

So I should be getting a farrier up on tuesday, he said he has me booked in so unless there is a big emergency he should see me. Fair play to him is all I can say!

nice one, sorry i couldnt be of more help.
    btw, who is your new farrier??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭kevin99

How much do they charge per shoe and how long does the process take?

kevin99,
    usually charged per set of shoes(4), or pair(2).
    can range from E50 per set up to E120, depending on shoes used, and whether they are hot or cold shod.
    time can range from 20 minutes up to 2 hours+, depending on whether factory shoes are used, whether they are hot or cold shaped/fitted, or if shoes are handmade on the spot, and depending how quiet the horse stands to be shod.

kevin99 wrote: »

If you're involved in horses, surely you'd have a rough idea of what it would cost, or at the very least be able to ask in the yard(s) you go to?

Why the apparently sudden interest in farriers?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

kevin99 wrote: »

First off the price is down to the individual farrier and the work to be done from say a standard set of shoes , hot set shoes , orthoptic shoeing .

Average set time all going well 20-30 min , Average set time hot shoeing 45-50 min , Average set time hot shoeing including making shoes 65-75 min all going well .

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Ya it seems to be Farrier season on boards alright!!!

Just another bit of info to throw in there regarding pricing. I know certain Farriers wont quote a price until they see an animal. More difficult horses can cost more. A quite horse who is used to a farrier may be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My farrier charges always the same, no matte how difficult the horse/donkey is:

-paring donkey hooves - 25 yoyo
    -paring a horse/pony/cob - 25 yoyo
    -shoeing a horse/pony/cob - 55 yoyo (incl. paring obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

EGAR wrote: »
    My farrier charges always the same, no matte how difficult the horse/donkey is:

-paring donkey hooves - 25 yoyo
    -paring a horse/pony/cob - 25 yoyo
    -shoeing a horse/pony/cob - 55 yoyo (incl. paring obviously)

That Shoeing Price is cheap prices my area are about €75 for shoes . Depending on the Farrier some may show you how to Pare your horses feet your self .
    Most won't ,it solves the problem though i do our own horses all the time , only thing the farrier does for us is the Shoeing and paring a Horse with Laminitis.

OP, are you happy with your new farrier??
    Are you particularly happy or unhappy with any area of his work??

s-cogan wrote: »
    OP, are you happy with your new farrier??
    Are you particularly happy or unhappy with any area of his work??

Sorry I havn't been on in a while.

Yes I got a farrier, fair play to him, he said that he was very busy, I explained that the horse needed her feet done in order for her to get her leg sorted (Had a lot of proud flesh, she's a week into treatment at the moment just finished burning it down), one he heard that he had me sorted in a week, he couldn't get up himself so he sent a co worker.

The co worker he sent came at the exact time he said he would and he got herself done quickly. my mare is kept barefoot so it was good. Got chared the bog standard €25. He also did a mare with a foal at foot, he feet are horribly bad (rescue mare, accidental breeding), but he did his best and happily got her done, had a great way with a nervous mare and had a laugh when the foal kept poking her nose into everything!

Advertisement