Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone explain this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

****ing magnets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Thats mental.... not sure if its real though. Would love to try it to find out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two different magnets ?? :rolleyes:

If they had said North seeking end compared to South seeking end then maybe it would be worth thinking about.

But an effect that depends on two different magnets - nah...

don't have a magnet on hand to test - and it's worth a test sometimes if only to say "I tried it and it didn't work"

LCD = liquid crystals , they polarise light by aligning themselves in an alternating electicial field - I doubt magnets would affect individual cells

magnets do affect the colours on CRT screen , until you degauss them

and really weird magnets can rotate microwave radiation so you can use the same feed horn for send and receive because the magnets seperate the incoming and outgoing streams

as an aside if you take a calculator apart and flip the polarid plastic the other way around you get a light on dark display looked cool but a lot harder to read, the joys of expirimenting

The answer is obvious:

It's MAGIC.

But yeah I've never seen that before. I'd say if it was true, kids everywhere would be doing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The answer is obvious:

It's MAGIC.

But yeah I've never seen that before. I'd say if it was true, kids everywhere would be doing it.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke.

in the case above it was video editing

But many / most substances repel magnets !

the effect is weak but it is there

a frog is levitated using a 10 tesla magnetic coil using diamagnetism

some day I'll get a thin slice of bismuth ( lead replacement ) and try to levitate above a magnet from an old hard drive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

a frog is levitated using a 10 tesla magnetic coil using diamagnetism

some day I'll get a thin slice of bismuth ( lead replacement ) and try to levitate above a magnet from an old hard drive

WITCH!

Advertisement