Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds Nest??

Options
  • 28-04-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all, we had swallows last year and when they left half their nest eventually fell, but now I am wondering can I take down the nest, seen as its still empty???? Its right above my window and when they were in it they ruined my window sill with droppings etc.
    Now if I could move it I would but I have heard you shouldn't move them, so what do you think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I think your nest belongs to a house martin. I would love to have a pair or more nest on my house. To stop the droppings why not clear them daily of the windowsill or put a small board on the wall above the window to catch the droppings?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Well nothing has come back yet to the nest and its still only half a nest, so Im thinking now I'll leave it and like you said clear it daily or weekly, To be honest I was always on for leaving it, but yesterday a neighbour came over and asked me would I not consider moving the nest as it doesn't look nice on my house:eek:
    I was so stunned at what I was hearing I couldn't answer other than say its bad luck to knock them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I would have used two words in response

:D:D
    i was so shocked I couldn't say anything to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

I would have used two words in response

One beginning with f and the other beginning with o;)
    It amazes me how ignorant people are to birds travelling thousands of miles to come here to breed. Guy my sister worked for last year knocked down a nest with house martins of his house, thought it was empty. So i spent the next few weeks looking after them, they flew off whether they made it or not. Hopefully did

• Advertisement

Hopefully they did make it. Out of principal I am not taking it down, and I hope all the birds that were in are coming back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Deliberately removing or interfering with any birds nests apart from a very few unprotected species is a criminal offence. You might point this out to your neighbour next time they make stupid suggestions. Glad you've decide to leave it alone, I'd love to have house martens on my wall.

I don't really know what kind of birds they were. I thought they were swallows but I'm not into birds really, but I have to say hearing them each morn was lovely to waken up to, esp the baby ones when they were here:)

Advertisement