Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the maximum amount of time a Doctor can give a sick note for?

Options
  • 28-04-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I need to leave the country for the summer, hopefully for four months, but I can't afford to lose my job as I need it to pay for college next year. I have been denied the time off by HR and now am looking into the avenue of getting a med. cert for the summer (for mental health related reasons). Can anybody tell me what period of time a doctor's note can cover? Or does anybody have any ideas or advice on how else I can get the time off without losing my job?? Thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Shelitta wrote: »
    I need to leave the country for the summer, hopefully for four months, but I can't afford to lose my job as I need it to pay for college next year. I have been denied the time off by HR and now am looking into the avenue of getting a med. cert for the summer (for mental health related reasons). Can anybody tell me what period of time a doctor's note can cover? Or does anybody have any ideas or advice on how else I can get the time off without losing my job?? Thanks :D

Why don't you ask your GP? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I hope I'm not being a spoil sport but don't you think your company is going to find it suspicious that you ask for 4 months leave, they deny it and then a short while later you produce a doctors note that has you needing to take months off?

It's not clear from your post if you are taking the time off for genuine medical reasons. If you aren't then it might raise some eyebrows at work and you might find yourself having to answer some awkward questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

A guy in my work has been medically certified as unable to work for the last 2 years, he still gets paid an amount by the company too. He just goes every month and sends a letter into the HR department

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

You know you can still lose your job even if you have a medical cert....All that does is prove you were ill. Be aware that a cert for that length of time will most likely require you to visit a company appointed doctor ever couple of weeks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

People like you make me sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

G-Money wrote: »
    I hope I'm not being a spoil sport but don't you think your company is going to find it suspicious that you ask for 4 months leave, they deny it and then a short while later you produce a doctors note that has you needing to take months off?

It's not clear from your post if you are taking the time off for genuine medical reasons. If you aren't then it might raise some eyebrows at work and you might find yourself having to answer some awkward questions :)

+ 1 to all of this.

Your doctor is unlikely to write a cert for four months just cos you want to take the summer off. If you have a proper medical condition, they would expect frequent visits. The doc won't take a look at you and say you need exactly 4 months off to recover, and to expect that is ridiculous.

I do know that the Social Welfare medical certs are only given on a weekly basis from your doc, but your doctor can write to the Social requesting that you can go onto monthly ones. This is difficult to get, and is only done in genuine cases, which, from your post, doesn't sound like it. These Social Welfare certs allow your job to be reimbursed if they are paying you sick leave, or if you don't get that, they afford you the ability to collect Illness Benefit each week. This is subject to review, and you would be required to attend a medical assessment to ascertain whether you are actually unfit to work. You can't do any of this if you are not in the country.

Your job refused you the leave, taking it off as sick leave would be SO obvious to them that you're going on a holiday even though they said no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Good idea...
    You take the summer off on the social and the rest of us poor saps will keep paying our taxes to fund you... :rolleyes:

If this isn't a troll by OP then it's a ridiculous request for help to illegally scam money from social welfare and the thread should be locked either way..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

bbam wrote: »
    Good idea...
    You take the summer off on the social and the rest of us poor saps will keep paying our taxes to fund you... :rolleyes:

If this isn't a troll by OP then it's a ridiculous request for help to illegally scam money from social welfare and the thread should be locked either way..

The OP's intention doesn't seem to be to put his hand into YOUR pocket and take YOUR money. It starts with "I need to leave the country for the summer, hopefully for four months". He's simply looking for a way to keep his job while he takes unapproved time off. You should read stuff before jumping all over people.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

DubTony wrote: »
    The OP's intention doesn't seem to be to put his hand into YOUR pocket and take YOUR money. It starts with "I need to leave the country for the summer, hopefully for four months". He's simply looking for a way to keep his job while he takes unapproved time off. You should read stuff before jumping all over people.

That doesn't make it any better imo.

If he really has to leave the country for a good reason, then she should try to reason with the HR. This looks like he wants an easy way out. What kind of reasin does he have? IS it an internship because of college? Maybe he can just arange to leave the job now and get it back when he is back in the country? Try to arrange something with a replacement? I am sure there are ways for him to keep his job apart from an sick leave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Maybe you should read also...
    OP was looking into going onto the sick thinking this would be an OK way to have the summer off....

I have been denied the time off by HR and now am looking into the avenue of getting a med. cert for the summer (for mental health related reasons)

And if you haven't noticed sickness benefit comes from paye taxes..
    This is exactly the sort of parasitic behavior that gets genuinely sick folks a bad reputation for drawing their sickness benefit...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Who pays the Illness Benefit he'll be entitled to receive from Social Welfare? Yes, that's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

After three days you would need a social welfare cert which you get weekly from your Doctor. You are supose to pick up the cert yourself.

You maybe called by the Social Welfare to present yourself for a medical.

Your company will most likely request that you see a doctor of their choice at most likely short notice.

Your GP most likely will not give you a cert in the first place. They can see through people pulling on the mental reasons act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MichaelFC

There are two types of social welfare sick certs docs distribute.

First/final and intermediate (continuing).

Both last a week.

--

It is obvious that the OP is being devious and looking for underhanded tricks.

This is why honesty and reason with HR is not an option.

M

Advertisement