Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Entry to Medicine

Options
  • 28-04-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm a 22 year old Engineering student. I've just finished 6 months work experience and am beginning to question whether this was the right profession for me.

Medicine was something I always wanted to do but after I didnt get the points for it (540) I just put that idea behind me. Lately with job prospects in engineering looking very bleak and such, the GEM seems rather appealing to me.

Few questions if anyone could help out. Are you considered less of a medicine graduate than those who did the full course? How long does it take to complete and what are the fees involved?

My current degree is set up in a 3+2 system. (BSc + ME) I've four years done and have every intention of finishing my masters next year. I got a 2.2 for my degree but since I have giving up GAA (something which took up 75% of my life!!) I'm looking at a strong 2.1 in my masters. Will this 2.1 be okay or will the previous 2.2 eliminate me from the process??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

You cannot do GEM in Ireland due to your 2.2. degree.

There may be some options in Britain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

You can't apply for GEM, but you can still apply as a mature student to some Irish schools, i.e. joining the post-LC students.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I know of a 25 year old engineering graduate who repeated the leaving cert and is now doing medicine. With your 540 points and a good HPAT you can get into undergraduate medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 vPv

paraguay99 wrote: »
    You cannot do GEM in Ireland due to your 2.2. degree.

There may be some options in Britain though.

Is the 2.1/2.2 ect... a average of all your tests ?
    if you want a 2.1 for your degree ..you need to keep getting at least 2.1"s in your tests each semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

vPv wrote: »
    Is the 2.1/2.2 ect... a average of all your tests ?
    if you want a 2.1 for your degree ..you need to keep getting at least 2.1"s in your tests each semester?

Well it's the mark for your final degree. Depending on your course, faculty or university the examinations that contribute to this may vary. You may participate in a GPA system. It may be only your final exams. It may be the last 2 years. The university decides what criteria to base the honours classification you obtained, so you should ask the appropriate person at your institution what will count towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

Hey guys,
    I'm too seriously considering doing the GAMSAT in 2012 and starting a Graduate Entry Medicine course but I don't know if I will like it, if I'll be good at it etc.. I'm an electronic engineer at the moment and I don't want to just jump into medicine on a whim. I was wondering if I could get your experiences on the grad med course and also about what kind of people you think make good grad med students.

Anyones experience on the grad med course and peoples reasons for choosing it would be very very helpful icon_smile.gif

Thank you, Limk88

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

Limk88 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I'm too seriously considering doing the GAMSAT in 2012 and starting a Graduate Entry Medicine course but I don't know if I will like it, if I'll be good at it etc.. I'm an electronic engineer at the moment and I don't want to just jump into medicine on a whim. I was wondering if I could get your experiences on the grad med course and also about what kind of people you think make good grad med students.

Anyones experience on the grad med course and peoples reasons for choosing it would be very very helpful icon_smile.gif

Thank you, Limk88

I went in with a physics background which would have put me in a similar place to yourself I think. There are certainly plenty of people who've done it with engineering backgrounds and honestly I don't think you should worry about that in the slightest. The simple fact is there is a LOT of stuff to cover and if you're a good worker willing to put in the time you'll prob be fine. IMO people should decide if they want it themselves, let the entry requirements/GAMSAT decide if they are ready, and if you get past that point just try and enjoy it.

Advertisement