Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf showing no interest in calf

Options
  • 28-04-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭

Lat of the cows calved this morning but the cow is showing no interest what-so-ever in the calf.
    What can I do to get her mothering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

put some meal on the calf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

whelan1 wrote: »
    put some meal on the calf ?

What the expert said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

What the expert said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭farmerjohn

What the expert said

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I was too slow off the mark for that. Grand lively calf doesnt want to stay still.
    ho-hum I guess its a case of sticking the cow in the calving gate for the next few days. Luckily she isnt a kicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ger b

hey do, new to this craic(first one in fact)so be gentle.just wondering if ye tried leaving the dog tied up in the shed might kick start her mothering ability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Lat of the cows calved this morning but the cow is showing no interest what-so-ever in the calf.
    What can I do to get her mothering?

Has this cow copped herself on yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

she'll let the calf drink if i put a few nuts in front of her. just the front spin though. thats not helping things though cause she hads loads of milk and the last thing she needs is meal. Milked her by hand today because I reconded she was getting sore from being so full.
    Calf is a bit of an eegit too. rather suck a finger than a spin!:mad:
    Think we're making progress though (slowly)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

at this stage once the calf has had his fair share of beestings we'd leave d calf for 24 hours usually the hunger kicks in and a more determined calf WILL get himslf a tit..... kinda reminds me of myslf a few years back:D

Advertisement